Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

please dont get mad, but I have a question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 01:05 PM
mborkow
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe RMS was a bad example...my point was: if regular oil changes are a financial stretch, then a porsche is probably not the car you should be getting. porsche parts are expensive. the labor is expensive. if you can't afford oil changes what are you going to do when something does (eventually) happen that needs to be fixed (like, say, brakes)
Old 08-16-2008, 07:18 PM
porsha
AutoX

i dont get how this became an issue. i never said that oil changes are a financial stretch. I was saying it was a good price since it's once ever 15k miles... sorry if it sounded otherwise.

how is the resale on this car if i buy today, sell 1 year from now?
Old 08-16-2008, 08:27 PM
dennisafrompa
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by porsha
i dont get how this became an issue. i never said that oil changes are a financial stretch. I was saying it was a good price since it's once ever 15k miles... sorry if it sounded otherwise.

how is the resale on this car if i buy today, sell 1 year from now?
It already taken its big depreciation hit, but there are lots of Boxsters out there.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:55 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a 2001 and loved it. I bought it CPO. When I went in for a new throw-out bearing, they replaced my motor because of the RMS issue. I didn't ask them to do it, nor did they ask me if they can do it! They just did it because I was under warranty. But otherwise the motor ran flawlessly and had they put the same one back in I would have been fine with it...even if it did leak. (FWIW my car never left a drop on the floor, so it might have been "seeping" or something.)

I think when we're in a little bit better position, we'll be buying another Boxster. I wouldn't hesitate to pay $16k for a post Y2K Boxster (if it passes PPI, etc.). I have to believe it's close to (if not at) the bottom of it's depreciation curve. You won't make money on a purchase like this, but you should be ok if you sell in a year. Or...you may like the car so much, you won't want to sell it!
Old 08-18-2008, 09:57 AM
D.C.
Instructor

I would not hesitate to buy that car with those miles, with a good PPI.

It is an awsome car !
Old 08-18-2008, 11:10 AM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many of the comments seem a little paranoid. Boxsters are one of the cheapest Porsches to live with.

Get the dealer to change the oil as part of the deal and, going by your history, you will have changed the car before it needs another oil change.

just do it !!
Old 08-18-2008, 04:55 PM
lilredpo
Pro

So did you pull the trigger?
Old 08-23-2008, 02:46 AM
porsha
AutoX

i actually went for the c5 vette.. clean title in hand.. then ran the carfax, and it came back salvaged for some reason.. seems odd to me.. salvaged title doesnt just pop out of no where... so i walked.

the boxster that ive been talking about is still for sale.. dealer lowered the price to $15,999 on their site.. for an 01, that seems a little too good to be true.. i am going to be away for a week. when i get back, i will go and maybe they can work out a deal for say $15.5+whatever the cost is for the 3rd party warranty.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:52 PM
VTCMart
Instructor

i actually went for the c5 vette.. clean title in hand.. then ran the carfax, and it came back salvaged for some reason.. seems odd to me.. salvaged title doesnt just pop out of no where... so i walked.
I narrowed it down to an '02 C5 and my Boxster before I purchased one. My after test drive thoughts from both were the C5 was a hatchet, but the Boxster was a scalpel. Also, getting into the C5 and starring at my mother's '95 Suburban radio sort of ruined the sports car illusion for me. Little too much GM parts bin inbreeding with the C5 in my opinion. To each his own.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:51 AM
porsha
AutoX

ok, this is what it has come down to.

im back in town, so i can go see the boxster mentioned in post #1. it is still available. it was:
2001 Porsche Boxster
62,000 miles on it
3 month warranty from the used car dealer guy.. dont know how legit that actually is.

today i bid on a 2003 540i (with m package) 6spd, 57k miles... it was a local.. it was a beautiful, clean 5 series.. but I did not win.

ive found yet another boxster:
53k miles (2nd owner)
18" turbo twists
same color as the one in post #1, except the interior is gray.

which is a better deal? 01 62k miles $16k pretty firm i think.. or 00 53k miles $15.5k obo ?

what kind of things should i check when i see the car tomorrow? if you could pinpoint the location (ie: engine, behind passenger seat) that would be great. thanks!!
Old 09-01-2008, 03:57 AM
porsha
AutoX

attaching pics of the 2000 boxster with 53k miles.. and some of the 540i
Attached Images       
Old 09-01-2008, 03:05 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts
Default All things being equal (though they never are) the newer the car the ...

ok, this is what it has come down to.

im back in town, so i can go see the boxster mentioned in post #1. it is still available. it was:
2001 Porsche Boxster
62,000 miles on it
3 month warranty from the used car dealer guy.. dont know how legit that actually is.

today i bid on a 2003 540i (with m package) 6spd, 57k miles... it was a local.. it was a beautiful, clean 5 series.. but I did not win.

ive found yet another boxster:
53k miles (2nd owner)
18" turbo twists
same color as the one in post #1, except the interior is gray.

which is a better deal? 01 62k miles $16k pretty firm i think.. or 00 53k miles $15.5k obo ?

what kind of things should i check when i see the car tomorrow? if you could pinpoint the location (ie: engine, behind passenger seat) that would be great. thanks!!
better.

Thus there's some argument for the '01 vs. the '00.

Lots of things to check for.

Can't cover them all in time/space I have.

On one hand, a used car is a used car and an inspection is pretty basic, but needs to be thorough.

Check for signs of paint/body work, accident damage/repair. Check all door/trunk gaps. Check top shape. Open trunks and doors. Look underneath weather seals for signs of paint (tape marks).

Lift carpet in front and rear trunk. Look at painted surfaces.

Check all subsystems work. From engine/tranny/brakes to radio, lights, A/C, everything. Be thorough.

Check condition of car. Does it look thrashed? Loved and cherished?

Does condition of car look odd? Brand new tires? Brand new brakes? Not necessarily bad but maybe car was refreshed after living hard life as track car.

Let owner speak about car. Try to lead him into detailed descriptions of how he used car. Treated car. Serviced car. Ask him about track experiences? Indicate you have some inclination towards that are -- though perhaps no experience -- and are interested perhaps in taking part. If he then starts bragging about his times/days at the track..

Feel him out on servicing.

A more detailed inspection requires getting car up in air safely and looking for signs of oil leaks (or recent cleaning...), condition of hoses, body/chassis/steering components. Any signs of recent new parts? Check fasteners for signs of recent wrenching. Check for signs of off road excursions. Scratches/gouges in body panels. Broken panels. Missing panels. Or real new panels...

And on and on.

First thing to remember is there is always another car. No harm in walking away from a car you don't feel 100% about.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:35 PM
porsha
AutoX

good info macster! i am pretty thorough when i test drive my cars. maybe a little too thorough, the owners always think im nutts

my main concern is looking for leaks at certain places of the engine, etc.

good idea to pretend im interested in tracking the car to see if he has taken it out there too...
Old 09-01-2008, 09:16 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

If your only going to keep it a year and it passes the PPI or you have 3 mo. warranty what difference does it make. Drive the crap out of it and trade it in. Guess I don't understand unless you are having a change of heart about keeping cars. I purchased my 01 S in 2002 and still have it 66K later. Longest time I have ever had a car. I look and test drive but the difference in what it would cost and how much I enjoy it does not make sense. Not that I would not love a 911Turbo or Audi R8, but hey retired people don't make a lot.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:12 AM
porsha
AutoX

longest ive ever had a car was 12 months...

most $$ ive ever lost on a car was $0. i break even or profit on every car. just sold my turbo GLI today, profit: $1,500. length of ownership: ~3 months

buying/selling a porshe is different. i cant drive the crap out of it and trade it in. because i dont trade in cars. i sell them privately. and a car thats driven to the ground wont be worth $hit.

as far as a PPI goes.. you mean PPI by a porsche dealer, or by my own knowledge? how much do dealers charge?

thanks again

Quick Reply: please dont get mad, but I have a question...