getting ripped off over a Brake pad change

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 09:55 AM
nicklouse10
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting ripped off over a Brake pad change

Hello Boxterers!

A pal of mine has just bought a 1993 Boxter S and needs to change the brake pads. I think he's being given some bad advice from his local dealer, but was wondering whether someone could confirm my fears.
he's been told that he needs to replace the following as part of a standard pad change...

pads
antisqueal shims
caliper bolts
wear sensors
fitting kit (springs and pins)
£542 for front and rear. (plus fitting @ £160)

That's fourteen hundred dollars just to change the brake pads, which seems totally over the top to me. Why he would need to replace the caliper bolts, wear sensors, fitting kit and shims, I have no idea??

he's also been told that he cant use EBC, or any other aftermarket pads because they are no good on the Porsche discs, which frankly just made me laugh. wtf?

could someone please tell me what he will actually need.(I'm assuming the answer will be just the pads and nothing else?)

any advice greatly appreciated
Nick
Old 08-08-2008, 11:35 AM
Cassandra
Instructor

I've always just replaced the pads... antisqueal shims were suggested to me if I got annoyed with the squealing, but I don't care about it. I have replaced one caliper bolt because it looked a little rusty. Wear sensors were cut by the previous owner, so I never deal with those.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:30 PM
mborkow
Drifting

there are no 1993 Boxsters...
Old 08-08-2008, 01:30 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

If the brake indicator light came on, then the senors need to be replaced.
Caliper bolts don't need to be replaced unless they are really badly rusted.
antisqueal shims don't need to be replaced but don't complain when you brake squeal every time you use them.
fitting kit- have no clue what that is.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:35 PM
VTCMart
Instructor

I just put new pads and new sensors (one of mine was worn down to trigger the brake light). I re-used all the existing hardware. You should be able to re-use the sensors if they have not been worn down, it is just an insulated wire that gets worn down and split into two.

As for the squealing, reuse the shims and re-coat them with a tacky anti-squeal spray when you put the new pads in and you shouldn't have any issues.

This is one of the easiest things you can do on your Porsche, you don't need to remove the calipers/rotors, just one bolt is holding both pads into the caliper. Tell your friend to get a jack and stands and spend < 2 hours doing it himself. I would also never take it back to that shop, since they seem to be treating your friend like he has "Ignorant Porsche ******" across his forehead.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:54 PM
nicklouse10
Instructor

thats for the advice chaps, I'll call my pal and tell him the good news
I was hoping this would be the case
(it's an 03, not a 93, my mistake)
cheers
Nick
Old 08-08-2008, 02:19 PM
D.C.
Instructor

Let me throw in another perspective here.

The dealer is going to guarantee their work, and that guarantee includes assurance that the brakes don't squeek. So the dealer is simply trying to assure that you are happy with the quality of the service.
I think this is pretty common with service people who have a reputation to maintain. I would rather pay the extra money and not have to go back with a bunch of complaints. They are trying to do it correctly the first time. Just my opinion.

Now on the other hand, I would not take my car to the dealer for brakes, I would do it myself, and if I thought the fitting kit, or the anti squeel thingies were too expensive, I would put it together without replacing those parts, and take my chances. But then I assume the risk of having to re-do all the work later, if they squeek, or there is some other issue.

So, if you are cheap like me, learn to do things yourself, and save a few bucks.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:37 PM
GMS
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porsche dealers have to comply with both Porsche AG franchise proceedures and ISO standards (because they are mostly ISO registered). If Porsche AG states that caliper bolts require replacing (which it does and has been the case since the 964 range) and only Porsche supplied pads can be installed, then the dealer's hands are tied.

There are always independant shops to go to.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:57 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't necessarily need new caliper bolts or retaining bits. It is nice to have the shims as mine squeal like crazy without them.

My pad light was on and I reused the wear sensors fine. Light is now off with no issues other than the aforementioned squeak. New shims are not cheap.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:17 AM
egress91506
Advanced

There is no reason to replace the caliper bolts when just changing pads. As for the wear sensors, unless the brake light came on on the dashboard, he doesn't need to replace them, and in any event, it's highly unlikely that all of them have worn through (I think there are 8). I've reused the shims before when I've done the brakes on a friend's 996. I also track my Boxster and replace pads all the time (including using non-Porsche pads). Car hasn't blown up yet!

By the way, here's a link that shows how easy the project is and gives some info. Even if he doesn't want to tackle the project himself (it's very easy), at least he can be better informed as to what's involved.

http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster...s/change_pads/
Old 08-11-2008, 08:23 AM
nicklouse10
Instructor

HI,

really appreciate all the advice! extremely helpful thanks.
My friend came up to Scotland for a visit this weekend and I had a chat with him about the brakes. He's going to do it himself now, and just get the parts from the dealer. He's decided not to replace the caliper bolts or sensors, but will be replacing everything else.
That guide is great! The job should be easy with that for reference.
here's a photo of his S next to my SC:
thanks again
Nick
Old 08-11-2008, 06:38 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

thats a nice pic
Old 08-11-2008, 07:36 PM
R2R
Racer

Scotland looks good this time of year! Porsche's look good all the time! Beautiful

Quick Reply: getting ripped off over a Brake pad change