Sponsored by:

Short Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 02:47 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Hubley
I could be wrong, but it's my understanding that the Porsche kit and B&M are the same product.
They are indeed the same product - B&M one is blue in color, Porsche version is black - that's the only difference.

Oh, and the price of course!

Best upgrade you can buy for a stock car - should be a standrd fitted item IMHO
Old 07-01-2008, 03:12 PM
Jetpilot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hans told me that they use the B&M kit.

Thanks again for all the replies!
Old 07-01-2008, 08:19 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Search for threads here on B&M shifters. I definitely did NOT like my B&M at all. I bought the 997 shifter, $150 from a dealer, and LOVE it. It's shorter, smoother, and nice all around. Not notchy, or too firm as I found the B&M.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:05 AM
Jetpilot
Racer

Car is over at Ruf this morning getting the short shifter and Ruf short stick!

I will post pics and a personal review when complete! Thanks for everyones response.

R2R - thanks for the offer. I am sure we will meet up at a some time!
Old 07-02-2008, 12:05 PM
JohnVitamvas
Instructor

I wanted to take the B+M that my car's previous owner had installed and melt it down to make something useful. I hated it. With a passion.

The 997 stock shifter is really nice.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Jetpilot
Racer

Originally Posted by JohnVitamvas
I wanted to take the B+M that my car's previous owner had installed and melt it down to make something useful. I hated it. With a passion.

The 997 stock shifter is really nice.
So you simply uninstalled the B&M and put the 997 in?
Old 07-02-2008, 01:18 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

I can ditto that. I followed his lead, and am eternally grateful. I think the 997 shifter in the Boxster is perfection.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:28 PM
R2R
Racer

Originally Posted by Jetpilot
Car is over at Ruf this morning getting the short shifter and Ruf short stick!

I will post pics and a personal review when complete! Thanks for everyones response.

R2R - thanks for the offer. I am sure we will meet up at a some time!
Will you be at the Ruf Kaboom town viewing?
Old 07-02-2008, 03:25 PM
JohnVitamvas
Instructor

So you simply uninstalled the B&M and put the 997 in?
I installed a factory 986 shifter console in my car but I put a 997 shifter (not the short shifter - the regular factory shifter) in a friend's Boxster and it is heaven.

Some have suggested that my shifter was adjusted incorrectly. It was not - I went to great pains to adjust the shift cables so each gear was correctly engaging. I just absolutely hated the feel of the B+M. Just too hard to find the gears.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:35 PM
Jetpilot
Racer

Originally Posted by R2R
Will you be at the Ruf Kaboom town viewing?
R2R - didn't know about it? Send me a PM or an email with you phone number.

Thanks
Old 07-02-2008, 04:11 PM
Jetpilot
Racer

Well the jury's out on the new install of the B&M. I like it, took a couple of series to get use to it - but much better than the OEM shifter IMHO. I am awaiting delivery of the Ruf Shorter stick to give a two thumbs up - should be in stock in a couple of weeks. I have never tried a 997 so i have nothing to compare it to. I am afraid to try it now - knowing there may be a significant difference. I do enjoy driving with the shifter! Will post pics with the new stick.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:13 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Well, good luck with it. On regular warm runs, it was fine. But, the early morning start ups ended up getting to me. If you decide to try the 997 shifter, it's really cool. $150 and it replaces the entire unit, easy to do, and never a shift that seems too stiff or notchy. And note, I'm a guy who loves shifting his Ford toploader - a very firm and notchy shifter.

What is the RUF shorter stick you are talking about?
Old 07-02-2008, 10:57 PM
Jetpilot
Racer

Jay-

The shorter stick that Ruf has is the gear shift **** w/ the Ruf logo on it instead of the porsche crest - same shift **** that is is on the GT2 and 3's i beilieve. Not as tall as the stock *****. scroll to mpage 6 of this link for reference http://www.rufautocentre.com/parts/pdf/986.pdf

Just an FYI - I talked in length to Hans Hoffman today at Ruf and the shifter they installed is made by B&M for porsche - the components are black instead of the anodized blue color. Could this possibly be the 997?
Old 07-03-2008, 12:06 AM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

My 997 has a 'factory installed' short shifter. I like it most of the time. But, that said, when the mornings are cool/cold ... even with the car in garage .... shifting into 1st is a bit of a chore. But, I've owned 911s for some time. A very stiff shift into 1st gear in the cold is not news.

My '05 Boxster S stock shifter is pretty good. I'd like to get a short shifter, but wonder if it would be stiff and notchy? Some have suggested that either (or both) the Porsche/B&M and other's are notchy/stiff.

I'm not sure who to believe. And, I'm sure all are telling it as they find it .... just different perspectives and comparisons, I suppose. I'd bet that installation makes some difference, too.

I may research this more. I'd like to shorten the shifter, tho. We'll see.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:05 AM
JohnVitamvas
Instructor

Just an FYI - I talked in length to Hans Hoffman today at Ruf and the shifter they installed is made by B&M for porsche - the components are black instead of the anodized blue color. Could this possibly be the 997?
No. The 997 stock shifter looks nothing like the B+M. It looks essentially identical to the 986/996 shifter except the pivot has been raised slightly (same thing B+M does to give a shorter throw, but they didn't raise it that much) and the mechanism is beefier than the older shifters. The B+M has no plastic in it, it's all metal.

Some folks like the B+M because it feels "racy." I hated it because it was just way too stiff and notchy. It makes shifting like work.

Quick Reply: Short Shifter