Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY FRIEND BOXSTER WITH FERRARI F360 EXHAUST SOUND

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 12:05 AM
blueillusion97
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep this forum is has some good info, boxster section is a bit slower but there are alot of people who know what are they talking about......this is my opinion on forums: rennlist - straight forward, people say what they think and dont try to be nice (in a good way), cars are for driving!. 986forum: its all about the looks and de-amber, cars are for moding and looking good. 6speedonline.com: show-off, how much im in debt, but a cool place to go dream. Pcars.us: FUN! FUN! and FUN! everyone knows each other by first names, its a nice gang

Last edited by blueillusion97; 06-17-2008 at 05:29 AM.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:01 PM
First986NJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe that another way to accomplish much the same effect is to cut about a 1"x 1.5" opening in the main inlet tube, inside of the outer shell of the muffler. Cut one of these openings on each side.

This dumps exhaust into the next to last chamber and shortcuts the rest of the muffler. No resonance is set up this way and a similar exhaust note is acheived.

I plan on doing this to my stock exhaust.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:18 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

I have to chime in here. I've done several mods to my exhaust and each has yielded different exhaust notes. this is on a 2000 2.7 boxster.

1. all cats intact. removed stock muffler and installed streight pipes. drone was bearable but annoying(between 2 and 3k rpm). at cold startup it sounded like a sick p.o.s. honda civic. warmed motor would rev and sound like a v12 and it was not overly loud at all in the car but friends say my drive by noise or behind car noise was abnoxious(which i love). these stright pipes did not have a tube connecting each cylinder bank, my next attempt will be to have the tube to equalize pressure from left and right banks.

2. installed fabspeed cat bypass pipes (so only the cats integrated with headers exist) and the same streight pipes as noted above. cold startup sounded like a mercury boat moter at first but quieted up rather quick. Warmed motor was mild levels at low rpm, no drone, just sheer noise. higher rpms were insainly loud. I did not leave this setup on for long.

3. fabspeed cat bypass pipes setup as mentioned above and stock muffler that i semi gutted. semi gutted means i took a dremel to the inside of the outlet tip and cut all the innards out so that the tip now dumps into the main tube that runs left to right through the muffler.(now you see daylight from tip and both inlets.) Cold start is quiet, idle slightly louder then stock but has definate fuller low note. warm is maybe little louder. has absolutaly zero drone. slightly more decible volume at mid rpms but higher rpms are enough to hear the whine of the motor. it does come close to the v12 sound but no where near like trial #1 did.

I may try some chambered race mufflers but i honestly think the key to drone reduction is connection between left and right exhaust outputs to equalize.

Tom
Old 06-26-2008, 10:19 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

ultimately i want to ditch the stock muffler due to weight and appearance.

Tom
Old 06-27-2008, 10:53 AM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by originalmotorhead
I have to chime in here. I've done several mods to my exhaust and each has yielded different exhaust notes. this is on a 2000 2.7 boxster.

3. fabspeed cat bypass pipes setup as mentioned above and stock muffler that i semi gutted. semi gutted means i took a dremel to the inside of the outlet tip and cut all the innards out so that the tip now dumps into the main tube that runs left to right through the muffler.(now you see daylight from tip and both inlets.) Cold start is quiet, idle slightly louder then stock but has definate fuller low note. warm is maybe little louder. has absolutaly zero drone. slightly more decible volume at mid rpms but higher rpms are enough to hear the whine of the motor. it does come close to the v12 sound but no where near like trial #1 did.

Tom
Hey Tom, any experience with the Fabspeed cat bypass pipes and stock muffler before your muffler mod?

The reason, I want to up the db from the stock exhaust but keep me from getting in trouble on the track, and avoid drone. I was thinking the cat bypass pipes might be my answer, and cheaper then my other thought.... a GHL exhaust.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:26 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Well i wouldn't say they were cheep. the cat bypass pipes cost me 500 bucks, but they are purdy stainless. (p car stuff is stupid expensive, a rip off but oh well).

I can't say regarding the bypass and unmodded stock muffler but my guess is the sound diff would be barely noticed. but, you could take a 1/2 " drill bit and drill into the muffler tip to puncture into the center of the muffler and that would help some with spl level. I did the drill bit rout first and then got aggressive with the dremel tool for more sound. there is zero drone and the spl / db level is not bad at all. (but i do want a little more, hehe)

Tom
Old 06-27-2008, 01:06 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by originalmotorhead
Well i wouldn't say they were cheep. the cat bypass pipes cost me 500 bucks, but they are purdy stainless. (p car stuff is stupid expensive, a rip off but oh well).

I can't say regarding the bypass and unmodded stock muffler but my guess is the sound diff would be barely noticed. but, you could take a 1/2 " drill bit and drill into the muffler tip to puncture into the center of the muffler and that would help some with spl level. I did the drill bit rout first and then got aggressive with the dremel tool for more sound. there is zero drone and the spl / db level is not bad at all. (but i do want a little more, hehe)

Tom
Got picts of the dremel holes?

Sound clips?

It may be a route I would take. First bypass.... then if not enough.... dremel time!
Old 06-28-2008, 04:26 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

OK maybe a baby 360, pre-adolescent though.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:59 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

sorry, no pics or audio clips. i'll try and take some shots this week though.

Tom
Old 06-30-2008, 03:22 PM
First986NJ
Racer

I would be interested in seeing this drill/dremel mod as well.

Does this essentially accomplish the same kind of exhaust sound as a PSE or Pedro modified stock muffler?

I would not think that a couple of 1/2" holes would be enough area, I would think that maybe 2 or 3 1" diameter holes would be needed.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:16 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

I board it out pretty good. it's more like a inch or so hole. I am going for a total hole in the tip. I also removed the metal plate that divides the tip into two per say.

Will try to remember pics this weekend. (too much party'n!)

Tom
Old 07-03-2008, 10:34 AM
First986NJ
Racer

So, If I'm understanding you right, you're saying that you took off the exhaust tip (the part on the back of the muffler where the exhaust gas exits) and drilled into the inlet tube(the main tube running all the way through the muffler) in the center chamber area, directly behind the outlet tip ?

So, essentially, you created a "T" channel of sorts where the exhaust gasses are allowed to bypass the inner baffles of the muffler...essentially running straight through.

I'm not sure of the flow dynamics here, maybe someone could comment, but that would seem to be allowing about 30% of the exhaust to pass straight through. The "Pedro" mod would seem to pass through roughly 2x that.

Last edited by First986NJ; 07-03-2008 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:03 AM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Reviving this old thread to see if anyone has a working clip of the Boxster mod? Looking to play with our Boxsters exhaust.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:26 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Does this mod create drone? May be doing it this week?
Old 11-05-2014, 10:47 AM
ep3_lol
Racer

I'd recommend doing something like this if you can.

Quick Reply: MY FRIEND BOXSTER WITH FERRARI F360 EXHAUST SOUND