Sponsored by:

New to the Boxsters Have a ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 10:47 AM
enzomn
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the Boxsters Have a ?

Currently I own an 1988 Lotus Esprit Turbo. I'm putting it up for sale or possibly trade for a Boxster S. I have my eyes on an 01 Boxster S Blk/Tan. 23k miles and they are asking for 24900. It has the memory seats, cd player. I'm not sure what else are consider options. I know it does not have the nav or the stability system or the heated seats. Although 1 bad thing is that when we took it for a test drive the salesguy against my wishes put the top down and cracked the rear window which from what I understand is $$$$. What do you guys think would be a fair price for this car?
Old 04-29-2008, 11:07 AM
911sport
Advanced

My advice is to get an 03 or later Boxster. They have the glass rear window and the glove compartment, which makes them more desireable for resale. The engines also have a bit more power in the later models, and the gas mileage seems to be somewhat better than the EPA numbers--at least in my experience.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:14 AM
Turboflyer
Pro

There are many variables that make up a selling price. You might look up some articles on car buying on the web and make a check list.. What is fair in one state might be a steal or bad deal in another. What price alone can not tell you takes some degree of work and experience to reveal. Definitely get it inspected by some one not tied to the deal. Salvage title, paint condition, accident history, complete options list, and so on. I saw one for sale here on our list. They said well maintained or words to that effect. Mind you the selling photos showed mud in the door jambs. Opinions don't count so go on what is, your observations and qualified techs input. The overall market is soft right now. Do your home work and never ever buy the first time you look at something. The next day always brings new perspective. Good luck.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:33 AM
stumpjumper
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911sport
My advice is to get an 03 or later Boxster. They have the glass rear window and the glove compartment, which makes them more desireable for resale. The engines also have a bit more power in the later models, and the gas mileage seems to be somewhat better than the EPA numbers--at least in my experience.
they're also heavier so they aren't any faster

having owned a 2002 S for many years I can see the appeal of the window and glove box but it's by no means a deal breaker imho
Old 04-29-2008, 01:54 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by stumpjumper
they're also heavier so they aren't any faster

having owned a 2002 S for many years I can see the appeal of the window and glove box but it's by no means a deal breaker imho
I agree you can get much better deals on pre 03's. Good luck with the search.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:21 PM
enzomn
4th Gear

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to give it a good go over and see what they would like to give me for the Esprit. They seem interested in it.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:28 PM
Alos
Instructor

If you plan on keeping the car I would spend a good amount of time researching this. I also think that an 03 or later makes more sense as the glass rear window is a great thing to have. You have a lot of options and in my opinion if the dealer cracked the window during a drive you should look for another one. In the end it's your choice but I think with this economy you will have plenty of choices. I would also recommend a per purchase inspection.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:42 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Doesn't the top wear out about as quick as the rear window? Living in Ohio mine goes up and down often so maybe it gets more wear. IMHO I don't see the glass rear window as a huge thing.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:19 AM
THXBABE
Instructor

I don't miss the glove box or functioning cup holders in my 02S. And although the glass rear window looks better than the plastic and is easier to clean, most of the time the top is down. I would have had to spend an extra $3K or so to get an 03s when I got my 02S. I did't think it was worth the difference.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:09 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I love my 01. the top is down most of the time and I did not want to pay that much extra for a glove box. Although it would be nice to be able to lock a pistol in the passanger compartment.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:51 PM
enzomn
4th Gear

Originally Posted by judd944
I love my 01. the top is down most of the time and I did not want to pay that much extra for a glove box. Although it would be nice to be able to lock a pistol in the passanger compartment.

Isn't there a locking armrest?
Old 04-30-2008, 10:34 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yes but it will only fit a small frame pistol. and I could break that sucker open easy. I would not trust it for any security.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:18 AM
lilredpo
Pro

If the window cracked, why not have it replaced with a glass one? Maybe the seller will split the cost. Worth the ask.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:24 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Hey there enzome,
Not to hyjack your thread but how do you like your lotus ? Reason I ask about your esprit is because i found an 89 esprit turbo local and it's a 2nd owner with 30k miles and it's impeckable inside and out and the guy said he was thinking around 25k price. I would not sell my boxster to buy it but I sure would consider it as a second toy if I felt better about the reliability ! I like to drive my cars....

As for your questions, I'm in Columbus Ohio (mix of weather) and own a 00 standard boxster and it still has the original top and no glove box and I get by just fine. Been daily driving it for years, summer and winter seasons. Heck, if you want a glass window, make the dealer replace the top for you and just get an aftermarket glass version, they are around 900 bucks and only draw back to the aftermarket glass versions is the window itself is a tad smaller.

Tom
Old 05-01-2008, 09:44 AM
enzomn
4th Gear

Originally Posted by originalmotorhead
Hey there enzome,
Not to hyjack your thread but how do you like your lotus ? Reason I ask about your esprit is because i found an 89 esprit turbo local and it's a 2nd owner with 30k miles and it's impeckable inside and out and the guy said he was thinking around 25k price. I would not sell my boxster to buy it but I sure would consider it as a second toy if I felt better about the reliability ! I like to drive my cars....

As for your questions, I'm in Columbus Ohio (mix of weather) and own a 00 standard boxster and it still has the original top and no glove box and I get by just fine. Been daily driving it for years, summer and winter seasons. Heck, if you want a glass window, make the dealer replace the top for you and just get an aftermarket glass version, they are around 900 bucks and only draw back to the aftermarket glass versions is the window itself is a tad smaller.

Tom

On the local Esprit I would find out if it is a SE or a normal turbo. You would want to find out if that car has the GM injection system with other GM parts like steering wheel and so forth. For 25k it better be a perfect car. I bought my 88 3 years ago for 17k and the price is going up and up on these now in fact my insurance company raised the value on it this year. My car is a perfect car with some paint chips in the front but at least that shows that it works. I would look for an SE they have a little more power to them and are a easy sell. Mine is the last of the Bosche injection and no computers so some people still dig them pretty heavy since they are easy (hard word to say when talking about any servicing)to work on and get parts are easy also with some cross-referencing to other makes and models.

Quick Reply: New to the Boxsters Have a ?