Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After winter storage...battery dead.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:36 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy After winter storage...battery dead.

Ok, I am very frustrated right now.

Today, I was going to take my 2002 S out for the first time the season. I pull off the cover, take out the blocks out from behind the over inflated tires, unplug the (Porsche) battery maintainer... and with keys in my anxious hands, I turn the key and..... NOTHING.

No lights on the dash. Nothing. The battery is obviosly dead. I check the overpriced OEM battery maintainer... and it's pilot light is dark.

My guess is that the battery maintainer is dead. And being a good boy, I resisted the temptation to fuss constantly over the car during it's winter hibernation.

Luckily I kept the front and rear trunk open over the loooong winter.

What is the next step?

I suppose I have to change the battery as it must have had at least 6 weeks on non-activity.

-what about the radio
-windows and other electrics.

I have no other battery equipement at home, but i will buy what I need.

What are my next steps?

I am sooo pissed at myself..... I thought I did everything right this past winter........

Share, please...
Old 04-15-2008, 09:32 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

no sweat. No need to be angry at yourself, and it's an easy diy.

Bettery is under the front bonnet. Pop off the plastic coverings and the battery appears under the windshield. Undo the cables--note which is + and - and undo the little tie down thing (an adjustable wrench is your only necessary tool) and the little vent hose, and take the battery to the local parts store. They will charge and test and confirm that it's toast.
Buy a new battery--some prefer the interstate brand but don't sweat if you buy a group 48 battery of whatever brand at pep or sears or whatever. Take it home and reverse the removal instructions. Clean any yuck from the cables before you tighten them.

For windows: you put the windows all the way down and up a couple times and you're done. Re the radio--well, when I killed a battery this winter, the radio just started right up with nothing to do which surprised me, but if you need a code, you get it from your dealer.

While you're at the parts place, buy some jumper cables or a rechargeable battery starter box. You can almost always start a car with a bad battery with a jump, though you might not get restarted if you stall at a light.

BTW, if the maintainer plugs into the lighter, maybe the plug doesn't fit snugly or you have a blown fuse. The maintainer may be fine but couldn't charge the car.

I left the ignition keys in the on position for a month--lucky we don't have much crime in our neighborhood!!--so stuff happens. Why get pissed at yourself when you can use it as an excuse to buy a couple tools. It's a lousy $100 mistake. Besides, it sounds like it might be your first DIY--congratulations, you just saved $150 dollars of labor at the dealer.

Edit: doesn't keeping your hoods open use up the battery?-- can't recall if it does that on my boxster, but I think it does on my 997.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:56 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Marc,

I wanted to punch myself in the face. I just like to have my xxx in order, and I got caught up with work, my wife's health and other stuff....and I let it slip.

Thanks for your response. You are pretty right, my DIY has been pretty much uniquely wheels and some brakes. Electonics are a real question mark for me, and the windows and radio just make me... nervous.

I have already looked out the battery (popped of the plastic cover) and it looks like no leaking or gunk.

Guess I will go to the local Napa... or other tommorow.

For the Boxster, they always say, "keep the hood unlocked because when/if the battery dies, you will not be able to get to battery, without pain."

I did the same last year and no problems with battery drainage then.

Side note.... the battery maintainer has a pilot light, and plugged in in any wall outlet, the light is not lit. $66 of junk.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:08 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Opening the hood with cables or even a battery charger is super easy. Takes about 1 second once you get the cables out. Hook one cable to the door hardware and the other to the little pullout finger in the fuse box near your left leg. No need to have anxiety over these things. They happen to all of us, and dealing with these "quirks" is just part of our fraternity.

Hey--not meaning to be forward or anything--take a couple bucks from the $$ you save on the DIY and join Rlist. On this one diy, you saved many times what the membership costs!
Old 04-15-2008, 10:18 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mhm993

Hey--not meaning to be forward or anything--take a couple bucks from the $$ you save on the DIY and join Rlist. On this one diy, you saved many times what the membership costs!
Marc, I have been kicking around the idea for a few weeks, reading other guys getting raked over the coals for not being a Member... I could not see any real value except for keeping up with the Jones.... but... I am very strong on fraternity....

You struck a nerve. A good one.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:12 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Paid for membership this AM.... I expect my status to reflect this in the next few days (weeks)
Old 04-17-2008, 10:37 AM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Hello Marc,

They tried to charge the battery but they said it would not fully charge and would lose what it had charge quickly... so, I bought a new battery, installed it and went for an intial drive. All seems cool.

Now all I have to do is re-program the windows, radio and change the digital speedometer to KPH.

Thanks for you help.

P.S. I finally ponied up for membership..... not that it shows yet....RLM#: 080428-8641
Old 04-18-2008, 03:37 PM
JFP in PA
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Check your maintainer's fuse............

Most have a fuse, the Porsche unit's is in the lighter plug end................
Old 04-19-2008, 10:30 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

well done Mike!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: After winter storage...battery dead.