Sponsored by:

98 Engine Issue: oil and coolant smoothie

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 08:46 PM
Bluesky4x4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Engine Issue: oil and coolant smoothie

I'm thinking about buying a Boxster fixer upper. It is a 98 that has an engine issue. This is what the owner says:

"The engine is in the car. The car starts, but it sputters. The oil is mixing with coolant somewhere in the engine and I am told I need a new engine." with 129,000 miles on it.

I would typically assume head gasket or worse, crack in the block, but is there a tyicaly "boxster engine blew chunks" problem?

Saying everything else is good with the car, and I have the means of pulling the engine and fixing or swapping it, what kind of hit would my pocket book take?

Thanks
Old 03-23-2008, 10:55 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts
Default Early -- circa '98 included -- Boxster engines do have a failure scenario...

Originally Posted by Bluesky4x4
I'm thinking about buying a Boxster fixer upper. It is a 98 that has an engine issue. This is what the owner says:

"The engine is in the car. The car starts, but it sputters. The oil is mixing with coolant somewhere in the engine and I am told I need a new engine." with 129,000 miles on it.

I would typically assume head gasket or worse, crack in the block, but is there a tyicaly "boxster engine blew chunks" problem?

Saying everything else is good with the car, and I have the means of pulling the engine and fixing or swapping it, what kind of hit would my pocket book take?

Thanks
that can end in 'boxster engine blew chunks' state...

Failed liner is one. Some (but some experts claim maybe half the engines made) early Boxster engines made had a casting problem that Porsche and the block casting company decided to fix by sleeving. Trouble is the technique for securing the sleeves was not durable and one would eventually loosen with disasterous results. Chunks could fly. Usually they'd fail long before the 100,000 mile mark but there's alway a first time one could last longer....

Another problem that can see chunks is a failed intermediate shaft (bearing usually) that can result in engine oil pump destruction, cam chain breakage, valves hitting pistons/vice versa.

And there are other even rarer but not unknown problems that can result in total engine failure, to the point the engine is not salvagable and may not even satisfy a core charge refund requirement.

My advice is to get a quote on having engine replaced at a good Porsche dealership.

Adjust value of car by this much, and really more to cover time/trouble and the possibility engine in this shape because it was abused and thus other systems of car will require attention and money as well.

If seller won't agree... walk away.

If you buy car and find it is just a head gasket -- unlikely but possible -- or some other less serious and fixable problem, great.

But likely you'll find you are staring at replacing engine.

Also, I'd not throw too much money at trying to determine if engine worth fixing. While an engine is not by any means worn out at 129,000 miles (my '02 Boxster with its original engine (and clutch) with 184,000+ miles doesn't feel worn out by any stretch of the imagination) if you get the price adjusted to include a new engine I'd go for it, straight up, no fooling around.

You don't want to spend thousands of dollars on engine that will ultimately prove to not be worth spending anything on it, other than to have it removed and replaced by a factory sourced engine.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:20 AM
Bluesky4x4
Instructor

Thanks for the info, exactly what I wanted to know.

If you part out a 98 with a blown engine, how much do you think could be recouped?
Old 03-24-2008, 01:10 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts
Default Generally, a car is worth more running. Boxster parts are not hard to...

Originally Posted by Bluesky4x4
Thanks for the info, exactly what I wanted to know.

If you part out a 98 with a blown engine, how much do you think could be recouped?
to come by and there's little market for parts donor cars. The few professional Porsche specific salvage yards/used parts warehouses appear to be able to satisfy the demand just fine.

If you could find a buyer that had a good engine/drive train and a damaged body or something like that...

Also, parting out a car can take months, if not years, and sometimes one ends up hauling the parts to the junk yard anyway. Takes work to part out a car. Disassembly, storage, advertising, foot traffic, or hauling stuff to flea markets, swap meets, etc. Not something I'd want to do from my house. Not a way I'd want to spend my weekends/spare time. There's a reason junk yards look the way they do and are in the part of town they're in.

If you own the car and do not or can not afford to fix the engine you may have to just bite the bullet and see what you can get for the car, as is. Maybe someone else out there is a parting out freek? Or has some connections you don't and would make you an offer. What is a 'fair' offer I can't say.

If you think can afford to fix the car, get a quote and see what it would cost and compare that to what you think a running car -- with a *new* motor -- would fetch. If you like the difference, that might be your best bet. That is, if you don't want to keep the car after its fixed.

If you don't want to fix the car, an auction yard might work -- if they take cars in the condition this car is in -- but you'll have to get the car there and accept whatever costs there are to the seller and you still might not get much for the car. The only thing worse that hauling a non-running car to the auction yard is hauling it back when it didn't sell.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:24 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

new rebuilt motor from porsche runs 9800 if you have a good core, if not add 2500 for core charge. If the car is priced right it would be worth it.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:34 AM
Porsche993toy
Track Day

Bluesky4X4,

If you go the factory engine route, Sunset Porsche in Beaverton, OR (dealer) should be able to sell you the engine for approx. $8,500 plus shipping and the core charge. Providing your core is reusable, you will get the core charge refunded. FYI--when I checked, shipping from OR to Calif was running about $250 each way.

Good Luck.

Last edited by Porsche993toy; 04-06-2008 at 11:23 AM.

Quick Reply: 98 Engine Issue: oil and coolant smoothie