Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 11:30 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Cajun
of.

Come on guys, you/WE are driving the BEST engineered sportscar IN THE WORLD. These are NOT Ferraris we are talking about. Porsches are meant to be driven, and believe it or not, they get better/stronger as the miles are piled on. I would put my Boxster up against any other Boxster on the road. PERIOD.
The best engineered exploding engines in the world!
Old 11-30-2007, 04:22 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts
Default Wihile true it is also true (at least as true as your statement)...

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
The best engineered exploding engines in the world!
the engines explode sooner rather than later.

At some point a used Boxster with low miles is just an old Boxster with low miles.

Too few miles and inherent problems that are common -- relatively speaking -- with the model or model year may not have time to make themselves known.

Even if the generally rare serious problems don't arise, others can and do from lack of use.

OTOH, an older car that has traveled some number of miles past the point where the majority of these problems make themselves known can be a safer buy.

I see no point in searching out a low mileage older car that no doubt the seller will want a premium for -- mainly because of its low miles -- only to see that premium evaporate as one drives the car. And what is worse as the miles accumulate one or more serious problems the original owner avoided by driving the car so few miles appears during the new owner's watch.

But if low miles makes one feel warm and fuzzy....

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:32 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I would agree the engines blow sooner than later and all in all you are probably better off with a car that has more miles than less, o course there are always exceptions to the rules
I just bought an 02 996 and got a Powertarin warranty because I just don't get the warm fuzzy feelings from the M96 engines and 6 speed tranny's

That said, dont be scared away! I loved my S!!
Old 12-02-2007, 03:47 PM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This thread is uplifting.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:49 PM
designman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
I just bought an 02 996...
Hey Marc, congrats. Got pics somewhere?
Old 12-02-2007, 08:30 PM
Greg Z
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by designman
This thread is uplifting.
LOL
Old 12-03-2007, 06:56 AM
designman
Rennlist Member

Actually I was being serious. It's good to hear about Boxsters going deep into the 100K range.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:14 AM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Most any car will easily make it to 100K miles these days. Even a lowly Porsche.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:26 PM
gfl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I dont get that at all....

Originally Posted by efahl
Yeah, no kidding. For only $9500, I wouldn't even waste my money on a ppi, I mean why bother? It's going to have lots of worn out stuff on it, bald tires, torn seats and probably lots of electrical gremlins ("Bosch, taking over where Lucas left off..."). I would fully expect the motor to be pretty tired after all those miles, too.

Kick the tires, take it for a drive, buy it and thrash it.
I'd check it out. I'd have it put on a lift by a knowledgeable mechanic and really look it over. Tell the guy if it passes X tests, you'll pay $Y more. The downside risk is greatly reduced.

On to specifics. I actually would not worry about a leak down test. Thee motors have locasil cylinder walls and are very resistant to typical wear. They, like recent audis, can have full compression at 250k. Failures, when they do occur, tend to be intermediate shafts or timing chains, and are catastrophic. but rare. the leak down wont help much here. Yes, early examples had other failures, btu those ended in late 1998, and would have shown up long before 121k.

But I would check everything else - bushings, CVs, tires, bearings, struts, oil condition ( indication of how its been maintained), brake pads and rotors, shifting, clutch, wheels ( are they round? really?) look for service records, signs of collision damage, etc. Any one of those can run you many hundreds or $1000.

In general these cars can run a long time. Lots of folks have 150k+ examples. But they maintain them. The big question is "how was it maintained?" and "how was it driven?". A nice redline trip each morning, while cold, will kill a car. The good news is that it got to 121k - so someone must treat it at least OK.

Grant
Old 12-28-2007, 05:31 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My understanding is the "ticking time bomb" motors were on cars built between Fall of '98 and March of '99. My '99 was built in March of '99. 29k miles and....boom.

Having said that, my understanding is these motors will explode before 50k miles (some say before 30k miles), so a high mileage car will not be one of these. If it is...and the motor has been replaced...breathe easy. The replacement motors are very good.

A $9500 Boxster? That's a lot of car for the money. A LOT of car...
Old 12-30-2007, 08:44 AM
mytoy986
Advanced

I have to chime in here. I've seen more "garage queens" come into our shop for issues, only to have the owners cry that they cost too much to repair!!!! On the other hand, we get our share of higher mileage cars in for regular maintainance. DRIVE THESE CARS! they hate sitting for extended periods! And when I say drive them I mean more then to the local concours and back. Your local PCA has events designed to enjoy the cars the way they were meant to be enjoyed. It's a shame to see a really nice looking car come in only to find it needs a ton of work because it is someones "baby, and I only drive it on special occasions". Oh well that was my 2 cents.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:52 PM
sean986
Intermediate

Hi
I have a 98 boxster and im thinking of chnging to a 93 964,the boxster has 90k and never any problems it runs great.
The 964 has 140k on the clock,would the same advice work for that?
"the more driven the better" and high milage not being a bad thing???
Cheers.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:20 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

i have almost 130k on my '99 that i routinely flog mercilessly on the street and race track. a leak down test won't tell you much; these motors don't wear out. there have been reports of early demise due to porous blocks, IMS failures, etc, but if your boxster made it past about 40k with no problems, the truth is that no one knows exactly how long these motors will last because no one has worn one out yet.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:16 PM
sean986
Intermediate

Question

Which car is more likly to need work done a 93 964 with 140k or the 98 boxster with 90k????
Old 01-18-2008, 06:29 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts
Default Driven the same miles, given the same usage, the 964...

Originally Posted by sean986
Which car is more likly to need work done a 93 964 with 140k or the 98 boxster with 90k????
The 964 engine has valve lifters that require manual adjustment every IIRC 15,000 miles (or is that 30,000 miles?) while the Boxster engine comes with self-adjusting hydraulic lifters (that are so cool ... I bought one just to disassemble to see how it worked) that require no adjustment.

I have no direct experience with the 964 engine but more than once I've read that it is not unknown for the engine to be removed from the car to adjust the valves, making the job easier although admittedly in some cases there is something else about the engine that needs attention (oil leaks) and engine removal that allows the valve adjustment to be done at teh same time the other engine issues are being addressed.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Info on high mileage '97 Boxster