Sponsored by:

98 - mysterious failure

Old 08-27-2007, 09:59 AM
Palda
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 - mysterious failure

Hello,

I would like to ask for an advice about our 98 Boxster 2.5, we bought it last month used with 70k km. Sadly, it has no user manual.

First problem we encoutered was with dead battery, to which I found answer on this forum. After that, it has been in top shape. Riding every day.

But today happened another problem. At morning, it ran fine. But in afternoon it didn't want to run. Everything looks normal, you can start it, but the engine will go for just about 2 sec, and then shut down :-(

I wondered, if anyone ever encoutered something like this and if possible give me an advice what to do with it, except delivering it to Porsche dealer.. I have found post, that suggested problems with "mfi relay and the start lock relay". But there was no proof..

And another question, I am not able to find about two things on Boxster, first is one of onboard computer functions, it looks like this "--- > km/h" and hasn't ever changed. And second, what does the button between choosing "up" and "down" on AC do? (I don't know the right terms in English.. And I'm deeply sorry for my amateur English..)

Many thanks for possible answers.

Last edited by Palda; 08-27-2007 at 10:00 AM. Reason: finded one possible solution
Old 08-27-2007, 08:09 PM
racer
Drifting

I imagine the "up" and "down" for the AC you question are for temperature.. down for colder, up for warmer.

Can't help with the other questions though.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:41 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

RE: button on the climate control system....the "up" arrow is for the using the vents on the top of the dash, the "down" arrow is for using the vents in the foot area and the button in between (which has picture of a grate which is suppose to look like a vent) is for the dash vents. You use these buttons to choose the vents you want the air to come from. You can use these buttons in any combination. Using any of these buttons disengages the "auto" climate feature. Pressing the "auto" button engages the auto climate which makes the vent choices automatically (use the "+" and "-" keys to adjust the temperature). Hope this helps.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:09 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts
Default Years ago ran into a Toyota that would crank/start but as soon...

Originally Posted by Palda
Hello,

I would like to ask for an advice about our 98 Boxster 2.5, we bought it last month used with 70k km. Sadly, it has no user manual.

First problem we encoutered was with dead battery, to which I found answer on this forum. After that, it has been in top shape. Riding every day.

But today happened another problem. At morning, it ran fine. But in afternoon it didn't want to run. Everything looks normal, you can start it, but the engine will go for just about 2 sec, and then shut down :-(

I wondered, if anyone ever encoutered something like this and if possible give me an advice what to do with it, except delivering it to Porsche dealer.. I have found post, that suggested problems with "mfi relay and the start lock relay". But there was no proof..

And another question, I am not able to find about two things on Boxster, first is one of onboard computer functions, it looks like this "--- > km/h" and hasn't ever changed. And second, what does the button between choosing "up" and "down" on AC do? (I don't know the right terms in English.. And I'm deeply sorry for my amateur English..)

Many thanks for possible answers.
as one released the key to allow the key to return to the run position the engine would die.

Cause? Bad fuse. The crank/start circuit and ran circuits were separate and fused separately.

Consider also a bad ignition switch. Not a few owners have had to replace them, and I think the earlier Boxsters are more prone to suffering from ignition switch failures than newer ones.

For answers to your questions about the basic operation of the car and its controls/options my advice would be to visit a Porsche dealer parts departmetn and see about ordering an owners manual for your car. Invalulable.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:25 PM
Palda
6th Gear

Thanks everyone for your answers and suggestions :-)

The worst thing is, that the Boxster would start up and run the second day, without any problems at all. We tried to change fuses according to Maintance manual just to be sure.

But I managed to make my father to take it to dealer to hook it up on computer, and order an user manual :-)

Thanks for suggestions again :-)

Palda
Old 09-18-2007, 01:03 PM
Vampyre
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out these two sites, it may help also.

http://www.986faq.com/

http://www.cannell.co.uk/Manuals.htm
Old 09-23-2007, 03:55 AM
Palda
6th Gear

Thanks for links :-) Manuals really helped a lot :-)
Old 10-09-2007, 04:11 PM
Palda
6th Gear

And Prosche dealer found out, that it was broken "Mass flow sensor" and "Lambda probe", which after heating up occasionaly caused this failure.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:05 PM
blinkwatt
Pro

Originally Posted by Palda
And Prosche dealer found out, that it was broken "Mass flow sensor" and "Lambda probe",
What is a Lambda probe?
Old 10-09-2007, 07:51 PM
efahl
AutoX

Originally Posted by blinkwatt
What is a Lambda probe?
Aka "oxygen sensor."

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 98 - mysterious failure