Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

80k miles. Time to sell?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 07:28 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He said it. "Paid off porsches are awsome". One of the many reasons I'll probably own my 2000 boxster for a long long time. Seems like every year, new car prices go up and not quite sure styling gets that much better to warrant taking a beating by trading in and buying new.

Keep it and run the **** out of it for as long as it start up ! And yes, a 3.4l conversion would totaly rock !

Tom
Old 06-08-2007, 08:39 AM
First986NJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug&Julie
..another excuse to upgrade to a GT3 nose to go with that new 3.4 motor.

See ? Doug understands the concept completely.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:46 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by First986NJ
See ? Doug understands the concept completely.

..and, yet, I sit here w/o a Boxster at all. I've loved all the Porsches I've owned, but too many "shouldas"...or more specifically, "shouldn'tas"...I shouldn'ta sold my second '99...I shouldn'ta sold my '88 911...I shouldn'ta sold my '70...
Old 06-08-2007, 08:49 AM
First986NJ
Racer

You just keep buying too many of them.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:27 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just picked up a new carbon shift **** and aluminum look center console, new pedals and Spent $900 on my summer tires. These are the bad habits of someone who will end up owning a soon to be 7 year old car for much much much longer.

I dunno but I really can't get excited about any of the new Porsches from a visual perspective.
The 987 has not grown on me after nearly two years, looks Japanesey to me.
THe Cayman looks nice from the back but kind of VW like from the front
and the 997's look like a vanilla version of a 993... Kinda like a 2006 Mustang is a watered down version of a 60's Shelby Mustang.
I think I would sooner buy a 928
Old 06-08-2007, 01:39 PM
gwhand
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know what you mean.
After i paid mine off, the old monthly payments went into a "upgrade account" now a new paint job, gt3 bumper, side skirts, rims, and supercharger later I have a "brend new" 99 Boxster still paid off.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:46 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

You just keep buying too many of them.
It's an addiction I just can't kick..
Old 06-08-2007, 03:27 PM
First986NJ
Racer

Originally Posted by perfectlap
I just picked up a new carbon shift **** and aluminum look center console, new pedals and Spent $900 on my summer tires. These are the bad habits of someone who will end up owning a soon to be 7 year old car for much much much longer.

I dunno but I really can't get excited about any of the new Porsches from a visual perspective.
The 987 has not grown on me after nearly two years, looks Japanesey to me.
THe Cayman looks nice from the back but kind of VW like from the front
and the 997's look like a vanilla version of a 993... Kinda like a 2006 Mustang is a watered down version of a 60's Shelby Mustang.
I think I would sooner buy a 928
I hear you. When I bought my 986, I did so purposly to drive for a year or two then trade it in on a Cayman S. Funny thing is, as time goes on, and I keep upgrading things that I would have bought as options if I bought mine new, I become more and more fond of the 986 and less and less enamored with the Cayman. Now I'm really reluctant to give up the cabrio, and I've always thought the Boxster looked more exotic than the 993s or 997s anyway.

There is something SUPER sweet about cruising around in the Boxster on a summer night ,with the soft lighting of the cockpit glowing, a clear star filled sky, and the sound of that flat 6 with headers and the EVO singing in your ears as you press the pedal down.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:38 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

...There is something SUPER sweet about cruising around in the Boxster on a summer night ,with the soft lighting of the cockpit glowing, a clear star filled sky, and the sound of that flat 6 with headers and the EVO singing in your ears as you press the pedal down...
...*sigh*...
Old 06-08-2007, 03:56 PM
First986NJ
Racer

Doug, you'll have another one in 12 months or less.......
Old 06-08-2007, 04:08 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Doug, you'll have another one in 12 months or less.......
I'd argue if I could!

Truthfully, we're hoping to be moving to the PNW in 12 months (or less!), so in the interest of saving for the move, I don't see any car purchases in the near future. ( ) If we were staying in Ohio, it would be no problem to keep both Porsches! But we've got a ton of "projects" we want to get done to make the house more sale-able and, like I said, a lot of $aving to do in the next year or so.

(I have to remind myself this everyday as I climb into my 103k mile Forester that is very much not a 2001 Boxster...I did this for a good reason! )

Geez I'm way off topic here...
Old 06-09-2007, 10:15 AM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Nothing like driving a brand new car and hearing rocks bouncing off front trunk, front of the car, windshield.

Yeah, best way to experience that is get behind a truck that doesn't have mudflaps, a cement truck, or construction flatbed that's carrying a mud-encrusted bulldozer. You must drive in northeast NJ on the Jersey Turnpike and use trucks as pylons. Between the noise and sandblasting it's quite invigorating.

Originally Posted by Macster
At some point I'll probably replace -- recently -- cracked rear plastic window -- although I have to admit (and hate to admit) the clear plastic tape I applied has sealed the crack just fine and at between $680 to $1000 for a new rear window (or nearly $4000 for a new top from Porsche dealer) that plastic tape is looking more like a long term solution than a short term patch...
What about the ragtop, how much wear on the creases?
Old 06-09-2007, 09:47 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

There is something SUPER sweet about cruising around in the Boxster on a summer night ,with the soft lighting of the cockpit glowing, a clear star filled sky, and the sound of that flat 6 with headers and the EVO singing in your ears as you press the pedal down.
Pure POETRY! Makes me want to take a drive...except the weather s*cks here in MA. Rain, cold .... BUT sunny days are comin...
Old 06-13-2007, 09:37 PM
Cincy_Ron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys! I've decided to keep the Boxster, it's just too much fun, still runs and looks good, and I enjoy working on it. Just ordered new tires for it and I'm going to do new rotors and brakes all around, oil change, air filter, etc., this week. I've decided to sell the motorcycles for garage space and still buy a 993 though. There's just something about the look of them that really appeals to me!
Old 06-14-2007, 05:22 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

I use to own a 993 and kept it for six years. I paid around $70K and sold it for $55K. $15K depreciation for six years, 30k miles isn't too shabby. I imagine that the guy who owns that car now probably wouldn't sell it for less than $50K. Hell, the way 993 prices are going, he may be able to get $55K for it.

Quick Reply: 80k miles. Time to sell?