Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summer Tires for Boxster OK for Moderate Winters?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 11:11 AM
911sport
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Summer Tires for Boxster OK for Moderate Winters?

I just bought an 03 Boxster with Pirelli p-zero Russos on the 18" wheels.New 265/35-ZR/18s on the back, 75% tread 225/40-ZR/18s on the front. About a $1000 worth of tires new. I only put about 5K miles per year on a car these days, and this is a primary car--so it will be driven in the winter--in a moderate climate on the PA-Del. border.
The question is: should I sell these tires and switch to an all-season tire? The car would probably never see snow--but would see some dry days in the 20s and maybe some rain in the 35-40 degree range. Purely conventional driving. What's a fair price for these tires if I sell them? I'm not inclined to spend a lot of money on separate wheels for snow tires--not with the amount of driving I do. I can get a set of all-season Kumhos for about $500.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:22 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Summer tires use rubbere which will freeze at temps below 5 deg C or about 40 deg F. By freeze I mean the rubber is hard and grip significantly reduced. If you drive prudently this can be dealt with. All season tires use rubber which stays pliable to around -15 C or about 5 below zero F.
All season tires trade off some warm weather performance (grip) but with the best of the new generation the difference is now quite small.

Best,
Old 05-25-2007, 02:27 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts
Default I've driven my '02 Boxster in mid-western winters, including snow up to several...

Originally Posted by 911sport
I just bought an 03 Boxster with Pirelli p-zero Russos on the 18" wheels.New 265/35-ZR/18s on the back, 75% tread 225/40-ZR/18s on the front. About a $1000 worth of tires new. I only put about 5K miles per year on a car these days, and this is a primary car--so it will be driven in the winter--in a moderate climate on the PA-Del. border.
The question is: should I sell these tires and switch to an all-season tire? The car would probably never see snow--but would see some dry days in the 20s and maybe some rain in the 35-40 degree range. Purely conventional driving. What's a fair price for these tires if I sell them? I'm not inclined to spend a lot of money on separate wheels for snow tires--not with the amount of driving I do. I can get a set of all-season Kumhos for about $500.

inches deep. While new Pirellis managed, I think I was more lucky than anything else.

Outside of snow, even in cold temps, tires were ok. However, I was always aware the tires were not in their natural element -- warmer temps -- and drove accordingly. Actually, where I lived there were not many chances to drive any other way. Roads were laid out straight with most corners consisting of an abrupt 90 degree turn usually every several miles.

I've never run non-N rated tires on my Boxster and I'm probably not going to start, so my advice would be to get a set of suitable winter tires/wheels for your car and use them in the winter. Then switch back to the summer tires when temps rise.

All it takes is one "off" on cold roads with summer tires to make the amount of money one saved not buying/using proper tires for the conditions miniscule in comparison to what it will cost to straighten the car.

Given your low annual mileage both sets should last nearly forever...

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:37 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have a $25K-$30K car and you are unwilling to spend an extra $500 for proper tires?
Tires are the most cruicial item on your car.

If you go over to tirerack.com I think you buy a set of Pirelli Snowsports left over from the winter for under $500.

I run snow tires November to April and switch over to summer tires for the other six months.
All season tires are useless if you get even a little of snow.
The biggest snowstorm I was ever in was in Washing DC which sounds like it south of your current location.
I learned my lesson about skipping snow tires when I once got caught in a rain storm that turned into a full blown snow storm in a matter of 15 minutes.
One of the most dangerous situations I have ever been in. Had to immediately pull off the highway and dump the car for a day. Narrowly missed an 18 wheeler by less than 3 feet trying to make my highway espcape.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:42 PM
stumpjumper
Drifting

even with my old s4 I wouldn't risk summer tires in the winter, for exactly the reasons that have been listed already

with winter over and people selling their cars you can probably get a used set of winter wheels and snow tires for about the same price as a new set of tires

it's not worth the risk of you killing yourself by sliding into a tree, or worse killing somebody else by sliding into them
Old 05-25-2007, 10:50 PM
opus
Instructor

I am in southern NJ near Philly myself. I do drive my Miata with summer tires - Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 in the winner provided it is above freezing. It is okay. Never had a problem. If there is any kind of snow, forget about driving with summer times. Just to see what summer tires are like, I drove it with a very light (< 1/8 of an inch of snow) coating of snow. Car was spinning the tires while in the driveway.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:56 PM
911sport
Advanced

Originally Posted by perfectlap
You have a $25K-$30K car and you are unwilling to spend an extra $500 for proper tires?
Tires are the most cruicial item on your car.

If you go over to tirerack.com I think you buy a set of Pirelli Snowsports left over from the winter for under $500.

It's not the tires--it's the 18" wheels. Those babies are big $$. And I only drive 5K miles or so a year. The best approach is to sell the Russos, and get a good set of all-seasons you can run all-year. I can surely get $500 or so for the Russos, which will pay for the all-seasons. I'll check Tirerack for the Snowsports--I recall they are the about same price as the Russos.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:03 AM
911sport
Advanced

Originally Posted by opus
I am in southern NJ near Philly myself. I do drive my Miata with summer tires - Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 in the winner provided it is above freezing. It is okay. Never had a problem. If there is any kind of snow, forget about driving with summer times. Just to see what summer tires are like, I drove it with a very light (< 1/8 of an inch of snow) coating of snow. Car was spinning the tires while in the driveway.
The Miata is rear wheel drive? I expect the Boxster to have better traction because of the mid-engine/weight distribution, but that probably won't offset the use of summer tires in winter. I've heard stories about sliding down driveways with a dusting of snow, but that was a Cayenne.

Trouble is, there might be those few times when the temp is in the 20s or you're caught out in a snow dusting. It's like air conditioning: you don't need it that much, but when you do, you really do.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:15 AM
911sport
Advanced

Originally Posted by perfectlap
I run snow tires November to April and switch over to summer tires for the other six months.
All season tires are useless if you get even a little of snow.
Do you have two sets of wheels?

I had BFG all-seasons on my Z3, and they worked just fine in the winter.
A bit noisier than the Michelin sports they replaced, but much better in rain.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:05 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get another set of wheels; 17" aftermarket wheels from TR and proper winter tires. It is all about temps, not only snow. Summer tires in cold weather on a wet (rain) road are no good if you want to drive normally. Winter tires on 17s are inexpensive. I find it makes the car fun to drive year round, rather than fun for 8 months and "driveable if you are careful" for 4 months.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:37 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
Get another set of wheels; 17" aftermarket wheels from TR and proper winter tires. It is all about temps, not only snow. Summer tires in cold weather on a wet (rain) road are no good if you want to drive normally. Winter tires on 17s are inexpensive. I find it makes the car fun to drive year round, rather than fun for 8 months and "driveable if you are careful" for 4 months.
I agree. When you consider the fact that you save tire wear on your summer tires, it makes the decision to buy a set of winter wheels and tires all the more inviting.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:34 AM
911sport
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bull
You know, I was thinking another set of 18" wheels, but I guess 17" would do OK as well. I'll check the dealer about that--they've offered to provide me a set of all-seasons or winter tires at cost. I have no problem driving a mid or rear engine/rear drive car in the winter with the right tires.

On the other hand, when you're driving under 7500 miles per year, I wonder if you can justify two sets of wheels/tires.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:50 PM
Pzkw993
Instructor

Twenty degrees? I was running at Mid-Ohio last month with the temperatures in the high thirties and the car was all over the place on the Kumho MX tires I use for rain. Switching to the Hoosier R6 actually improved the grip on the cold, slick surface - that should tell you something

In my experience, once you get below fifty degrees with "Max Performance" tires, they have very little grip. And in the twenties, you won't be able to get up a shallow driveway unless it's absolutely dry.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:04 PM
blinkwatt
Pro

I have the PZero Rossos and I keep them on all year long w/o a single problem to date. The coldest it gets in the Sacramento region though is 30-35ish,so not that cold.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:09 AM
911sport
Advanced

Drove in the rain tonite. The Rossos were just fine on wet roads. I'm going to list these tires in my local PCA newsletter for $600. asking price.

What is the story on gas octane for the Boxster? The book says 93 octane, but 91 OK. Any problem using 91 octane? Haven't bought any gas yet.

Quick Reply: Summer Tires for Boxster OK for Moderate Winters?