Sponsored by:

Why a Boxster S over a Z4?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 05:07 PM
blueillusion97
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BrockPorsche
Not baiting at all. Just a victim of over-analysis paralysis.

It's a personality flaw.

I loved the Boxster S drive. It was a nice car. It's just SO close to a 911 in price that the jump is tantalizing. You guys have all heard it before I'm sure.
I know what you mean... Im in a similar boar. I cant decide to get 986 and eventualy go BSR with it or get 987 and get another one for BSR few years later or isntead just 987 get 987S ....ahhhhhh my head hurts!!! but one thing is for sure im going PORSCHE!!!!!!!
Old 04-30-2007, 06:34 PM
SDDave
Advanced

Originally Posted by lowside67
I agree, I had a boxster S (a 986 mind you) and now have an M Roadster. I know exactly what you mean about the brakes, they are insanely powerful but they are hard to tell what's going on. I disagree about the clutch/shifter, I prefer my M Roadster's shifter to the longer travel 986/996 shifter.
This is a perfect example of 'not everybody gets it'. There will always be people who have moved from Porsche to BMW believing they are getting a better car. Once they realize what they've done, those who stuck with Porsche suddenly have "Porsche fever"... yeah, and I'm sure Enzo owners just have "Ferrari fever", without really knowing what they're buying.

Come to think of it, there are plenty of people who believe that welfare and over-taxation is good for the economy, and that terrorism poses no real threat to America... why should it be shocking that there people who think that BMWs are better cars than Porsches? Asking a BMW driver why they didn't opt for the Pcar is a bit akin to

Bottom Line- A question has been asked of Porsche OWNERS, and it has been answered in spades... the sole dissenting opinion comes from a BMW owner. I don't see the problem...

Dave
San Diego
Old 04-30-2007, 10:51 PM
nola911
Track Day

This is a funny question. I had the rare opportunity to win a z4 this year in a raffle. I picked it up 2 weeks ago in nashville, tn and drove it back to new orleans, la. First of all, it drives great. The shift is much faster and smoother, the stereo is incredible, the light rumble of the muffler is hypnotizing and tempting. The car was comfortable for 7 hours. I loved the drive. So much that I debated keeping this ugly long hooded beast over the boxster....
Until I got home to my boxster. The boxster is tough, fast, responsive, and loud. You hear what is going on behind the seats. You crave fast turns. And the lines are simply beautiful. It makes you want to drive, not just feel comfy when you have to drive.

As a sidenote, girls seem to love the z4. I think it is a car designed with girls in mind. The interior is wrapped in cheap plastic and fake leather that collaborates a beautiful, but useless interior. I have not gotten a single comment in my boxster from passerby's. In the one day I drove the z4, I got 4. Coincidently, I am just married and do not need or want the peanut gallery. My wife said she likes the bmw for looks, but likes more the way I sneak into the garage to peak at the porsche before bed.

I think you know where this is going. I traded the z4 in for a new toyota pick up truck. I kept my mean, loud, leather, junk stereo (the engine is music enough), fast boxster. It is not nearly as comfy as a date car, but it makes you love everything on the road.

BTW: I have very little brand loyalty on this issue. I was raised in a family of mercedes drivers and bought my boxster only 3 months ago.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:10 PM
fer2367
Rennlist Member

Mark,

I don't want to go off topic, but I am curious to hear that you prefer the BMW to the Porsches when it comes to shifting gears. I did remove the CDV (clucth delay valve) and that improved things somehow, but I still feel that it's harder to me to drive smoothly and coordinate gas pedal with clutch engagement for heel and toe due to the delay between the gas action and the engine response. It seems like there is an electronic nanny between my foot and the engine...don't know how to put it better with words, it just doesn't feel natural as the Porsches...
Old 05-01-2007, 02:26 AM
BrockPorsche
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fer2367
Mark,

I don't want to go off topic, but I am curious to hear that you prefer the BMW to the Porsches when it comes to shifting gears. I did remove the CDV (clucth delay valve) and that improved things somehow, but I still feel that it's harder to me to drive smoothly and coordinate gas pedal with clutch engagement for heel and toe due to the delay between the gas action and the engine response. It seems like there is an electronic nanny between my foot and the engine...don't know how to put it better with words, it just doesn't feel natural as the Porsches...
Heh, hard to not go off topic with SDDave lurking around being a bitter troll trying to teach everyone the way

Max obviously "does not get it"...he prefers something in a car that isn't P-car. He probably doesn't deserve to even be READING this forum

PS: Most of the most livable countries in terms of standards of living (UN rankings) have relatively high tax rates and good social security nets...I'll stay out of the whole terrorism topic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...elopment_Index

Old 05-01-2007, 09:59 AM
First986NJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by maxferran@yahoo.com
This is a funny question. I had the rare opportunity to win a z4 this year in a raffle. I picked it up 2 weeks ago in nashville, tn and drove it back to new orleans, la. First of all, it drives great. The shift is much faster and smoother, the stereo is incredible, the light rumble of the muffler is hypnotizing and tempting. The car was comfortable for 7 hours. I loved the drive. So much that I debated keeping this ugly long hooded beast over the boxster....
Until I got home to my boxster. The boxster is tough, fast, responsive, and loud. You hear what is going on behind the seats. You crave fast turns. And the lines are simply beautiful. It makes you want to drive, not just feel comfy when you have to drive.

As a sidenote, girls seem to love the z4. I think it is a car designed with girls in mind. The interior is wrapped in cheap plastic and fake leather that collaborates a beautiful, but useless interior. I have not gotten a single comment in my boxster from passerby's. In the one day I drove the z4, I got 4. Coincidently, I am just married and do not need or want the peanut gallery. My wife said she likes the bmw for looks, but likes more the way I sneak into the garage to peak at the porsche before bed.

I think you know where this is going. I traded the z4 in for a new toyota pick up truck. I kept my mean, loud, leather, junk stereo (the engine is music enough), fast boxster. It is not nearly as comfy as a date car, but it makes you love everything on the road.

BTW: I have very little brand loyalty on this issue. I was raised in a family of mercedes drivers and bought my boxster only 3 months ago.

Wow....you must be getting dizzy walking across the top of that fence.

A couple of comments:

"Until I got home to my boxster. The boxster is tough, fast, responsive, and loud. You hear what is going on behind the seats. You crave fast turns. And the lines are simply beautiful. It makes you want to drive, not just feel comfy when you have to drive."

Well there you go....and I know EXACTLY what you mean. BrockPorsche, you paying attention here ?

"I have not gotten a single comment in my boxster from passerby's."
That's because it says Porsche on the hood. Nobody feels the need to tell a guy(or girl) that's driving a Porsche that he/she has a sweet ride. That's kind of a given.

...and I can't EVER recall hearing of anyone trade their Porsche in on a Toyota pickup. But then I guess if they did, they probably wouldn't be admitting to it publicly anyway..
Old 05-01-2007, 10:26 AM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

good thread. i had the opportunity to drive a Z4M a few months ago. nice, but not nearly the rush i expected. first off, it's supposed to be 330HP, but it feels like 230HP because the electronic throttles and traction control overdamp the throttle response. the chassis is solid, but feels very heavy. the brakes stop great once or twice, but fade very quickly (sliding calipers on a $55K car?!?!?).only one SMALL trunk!

positives: the interior was nice and the top mechanism is fast & one-touch; that's nice. very quite w/ top up. VERY well equipped at base price (as opposed to Porsche who rapes you on options). cheaper than the box.

bottom line: this thing is very watered down (even in M trim). it's great if you want to feel like you're driving a sports car. if you want to drive an actual sports car, get the porsche.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:34 AM
blueillusion97
Racer

When you are all talking about boxster being fast.....are you talking about 2.5? 2.7? or 3.4?.....I have driven 986 2.5 and 987 2.7 and they didn’t feel that fast...maybe until I looked at speedo lol...I still need to drive 987 3.4 before I make my final decision between 987 S or non S. I’m just afraid if I decide to save some money on regular I might regret later for not getting an S....I don’t know my head is spinning for few months now
Old 05-01-2007, 11:10 AM
dyazdani
Rennlist Member

The ranges I'm looking are 02/03 for Boxster S, 99-03 for 911, 03/04 for Z4
Looked at the 986 vs. 996 options myself before I bought my Boxster. I was able to find a low mileage (17k) Boxster S at a good price. A similarly priced 996 was always going to be a couple years older and/or have a lot more miles. Combined with the fact that I needed a cab, it was nearly a no-brainer for me.

BTW - I'm glad I got the 986 instead of the 996. No way I would get a Z4 -based on looks alone for me. Performance-wise, I couldn't say since I haven't driven a Z4.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:13 AM
dyazdani
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blueillusion97
When you are all talking about boxster being fast.....are you talking about 2.5? 2.7? or 3.4?.....I have driven 986 2.5 and 987 2.7 and they didn’t feel that fast...maybe until I looked at speedo lol...I still need to drive 987 3.4 before I make my final decision between 987 S or non S. I’m just afraid if I decide to save some money on regular I might regret later for not getting an S....I don’t know my head is spinning for few months now
My mom has a 2001 986 non-S and a 987 non-S while I have a 2001 3.2. FWIW - she says that the power and feel of the 987 is comparable to my 986S. I haven't had a chance to drive the new one yet though.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:26 PM
SDDave
Advanced

Heh, hard to not go off topic with SDDave lurking around being a bitter troll trying to teach everyone the way
Wow.... you come into a Porsche board with ZERO Porsche experience, ask a question of Porsche owners, some of whom have been driving Porsches longer than you have been dreaming about being able to afford one (not me, though- I'm not quite 30 and only on my 7th Porsche, but I'm getting there... buncha old farts! ), get the only answer that one can expect from a Porsche board, and you want to be snippy about it!?

You have been repeatedly asked things like:
Originally Posted by First986NJ
BrockPorsche, you paying attention here ?
and been told things like:
Originally Posted by maxferran@yahoo.com
I traded the z4 in for a new toyota pick up truck.
If you don't like it, go hang out on a Beemer board to get the answer you're obviously looking for. If people with YEARS of Boxster experience have not convinced you to just shut up, buy the Boxster, and be happy... then nothing will.

SO BUY THE Z4 ALREADY!!!!

Dave
San Diego
Old 05-01-2007, 05:41 PM
Tierce
Pro

Originally Posted by SDDave
If you don't like it, go hang out on a Beemer board to get the answer you're obviously looking for. If people with YEARS of Boxster experience have not convinced you to just shut up, buy the Boxster, and be happy... then nothing will.

Dave
San Diego

AGREED! 100%

TIERCE
Old 05-01-2007, 05:43 PM
BrockPorsche
Instructor

Replied in private to the latest rant from the thread's troll. Sigh. No need to have him continue the immaturity in public.

Thanks for all the useful help from all of you other than the obvious detractor from the conversation (still not sure what his issue is). Some very useful information was gleaned. Much appreciated.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:01 PM
blueillusion97
Racer

Hopefully i some what helped in making your decision
Old 05-01-2007, 06:05 PM
BrockPorsche
Instructor

Originally Posted by blueillusion97
Hopefully i some what helped in making your decision
You are in a very similar situation to me It helps to see that others have the same issues. I was completely 996 bound but then a $30k roof bill popped up so I'm looking cheaper to account for that...but will I still yearn for a 996? ....or will the 986S be enough. I certainly liked the drive of the 986S on the weekend.

Oh the decisions...

Quick Reply: Why a Boxster S over a Z4?