Sponsored by:

Sat Nav

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2001, 12:21 PM
Don UK
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sat Nav

Has anyone fitted a 3rd party SatNav system to their Boxster? If so - which system. I am interested in fitting one as I do not have PCM but I DON'T want to devalue the car by having holes put in the beautiful trim etc.

I have seen a Blaupunkt unit that (supposedly) fits in one of the DIN slots and requires no other equipment to be installed. Has anyone had any experience of this?

Something like the Blaupunkt would be ideal as I could remove the little storage slot and put it its place...then remove the unit and replace the storage slot at trade in time...

Comments appreciated.
Old 08-27-2001, 06:07 PM
Jean-Marc
Racer

I've done it to my 996 (the blaupunkt unit)
Pretty simple install if you know how to DIY. The only minor difficulties are hooking up to the reverse signal (I did it through the fuse box) and the satellite antenna.
No holes or anything but the GPS antenna does have adhesive on it...
JM
Old 08-28-2001, 07:07 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Do you guys get lost a lot (just kidding).
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 08-29-2001, 12:48 AM
Jean-Marc
Racer

Talking

Yep, I suree did....
Old 08-29-2001, 10:21 AM
Don UK
7th Gear

Originally posted by Jean-Marc:
<STRONG>I've done it to my 996 (the blaupunkt unit)
Pretty simple install if you know how to DIY. The only minor difficulties are hooking up to the reverse signal (I did it through the fuse box) and the satellite antenna.
No holes or anything but the GPS antenna does have adhesive on it...
JM</STRONG>
Thanks for that, Jean. I will probably have a dealer or installer actually do the work....did the unit replace your Porsche supplied stereo unit or do you have both operating at the same time? - This is what I'd like ideally so that I could have the thing moved to my next car in a couple of years time...

Oh yes....I just went on vacation with my wife and after two weeks of her map-reading I decided that SatNav significantly less expsensive than divorce....!
Old 08-29-2001, 11:01 AM
Jean-Marc
Racer

I replaced the whole unit (not sure I would do it differently..) and also installed a Blaunpunkt 5 CD changer where the CD console holder was. I kept all the original equipment so that I can put it back in place when I sell the car if the buyer isn't prepared to pay the extra money for it....
JM
Old 02-01-2002, 05:03 AM
Smith's 01 BBS
5th Gear

Too much work, and not portable. I simply use the Garmin GPS, the model made for vehicle use. Do not know if it has map cartridges available for Britain though.

Art
Old 02-01-2002, 02:13 PM
jdm
Track Day

Thumbs up

Have to concur with above (Garmin) suggestion. The Garmin EMAP makes a good low end addition --the size of a cell phone, decent display, about $250 US. On the high end is the Garmin Street Pilot 3 -- about the size of....hmmmm...two Big Macs (side by side:-), excellent color screen, lots of routing features. Both of them can accept detailed
metro info (UK and most of Europe is avail) and with a big memory card (like a flash card) you can load most of Europe into either device. Both are completely self contained, portable, and reasonably accurate (the SP3 uses the new WAAS sat info---3(?) meter accuracy).I've used both and I never go anywhere without the EMAP.

Quick Reply: Sat Nav