Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm finally home from TracQuest at the Glen

Old 06-04-2001, 03:26 PM
Patricia
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking I'm finally home from TracQuest at the Glen

Well, I'm finally home, so I thought I let all of you know what an awesome event you missed . . .

First, the Glen is very different from any track I'd driven before. Now I understand the warnings about potential damage from accidents at the track! On our California tracks, an off track excursion means you get to wash you car, maybe even detail the interior - for the most part, you can drive straight off the track and go for literally miles before you'd hit anything . . . not so Watkins Glen. The track is lined with blue armco! Not very forgiving, as two unfortunate drivers found out, one with a nearly new Boxster S. Ouch!

Other than being even more cautious than usual, I have to say Watkins Glen is an experience not to be missed. I felt very good, being able to hit 116mph by the end of the back straight. I finally have found someplace where I reach the car's limits before I reach mine. This track is a lot of fun, long enough to have high speed straights mixed with some very technical turns.

TracQuest has a variey of marques, at this event everything from a 962, a formula 4 racer, two (!) GT Cup cars - all the way to a group of Subarus, a BMW 740i, and a Jetta. We were originally divided into four run groups (yellow, blue, red, and instructor) but by the second day, we were running only two groups. 30 minutes on, 30 minutes off equals tons of track time. With a track this long, it was possible to go several laps and not see another car . . . it actually got lonely out there! At one point, after three laps by myself, I was beginning to worry that I'd missed the checked flag,

I really enjoyed meeting everyone from the East Coast, even if some of them did think I was crazy to drive that far for a track event.

Thanks to Todd Serota of TracQuest, and John Dunkle of Rennlist, for a great event. Also, thanks to the sponsors who supported the event - The Racer's Group, Imagine Auto, Ian's Euro Parts and Tweeks.

Oh, and about the picture . . . I'm really about to pass the Jetta! Gotta keep the top spot in the family! You see, that's my son (who goes to school in CT) who met me for the event. Yes, Mom is still faster, but he's catching up fast! If he ever gets a decent car, watch out!

More plictures from the Glen
Old 06-04-2001, 06:28 PM
Chad in NH
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Patricia,

Hey, glad to see you made it back okay! Did you manage to find a place to do a little wash and shine on your Boxster before showing it to the family?

BTW, could I impose on you to send me full size versions of some of the pics you have? I'm particularly interested in the ones of a certain AR Boxster that was running sans top over the three days.

Chad

P.S. We got the forum we wanted on Rennlist, now we have to do something with it.

P.P.S. You've got a great looking car you know, too bad you picked the wrong color for the top!
Old 06-05-2001, 09:13 PM
Patricia
Racer

Cool

Originally posted by chadrh:
<STRONG>Patricia,

Hey, glad to see you made it back okay! Did you manage to find a place to do a little wash and shine on your Boxster before showing it to the family?

BTW, could I impose on you to send me full size versions of some of the pics you have? I'm particularly interested in the ones of a certain AR Boxster that was running sans top over the three days.

Chad

P.S. We got the forum we wanted on Rennlist, now we have to do something with it.

P.P.S. You've got a great looking car you know, too bad you picked the wrong color for the top! </STRONG>

Hi, I'll be glad to send you the full size versions of any pictures of your car. It may take me a day or two, I can't believe how much work was wqiting for me when I got home!

Thanks to the rain, my car got a good wash but no shine. We only had the top down twice. for no more than half an hour either time. I'm just glad the rain held off until the weekend!

Of course, I know the real reason you ran top down - you were ashamed of the color of yours after you saw mine, LOL!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I'm finally home from TracQuest at the Glen