Sponsored by:

PERFORMANCE UPGRADE????

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 08:50 AM
986Jim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arenared
You will get comparatively much less gains out of a 2.5L. The 3.2L S that you see used in most "reviews" is comparatively more restricted by the exhaust/etc. which is sized for a 2.5L. Also, the 2.5L does not have the two sets of cats and therefore already has a set of "headers". With an S, it seems like you can get 25 to 35 HP out of it while spending about $5K. On a 2.7L, I'd venture to guess around 15 to 25 HP with probably a lot of that from the headers. On a 2.5L, you're probably looking at an honest 5 to 15. Note that a lot of aftermarket parts are really "up to" 10 HP or whatever, and that gain is only at a certain RPM with losses possibly elsewhere. IMO, your best bet would have been to put in a LWFW when you had your clutch done. That would probably have given you the same seat-of-the-pants feel as all the other mods. You can do a few other mods for sound if you want, but if you want more power, I'd start saving for a used or reman 3.2L or a 3.4L which aren't all that badly priced anyhow.
2.5L headers didn't have losses anywhere they were gains across the board and pretty huge numbers everywhere.

Not sure where your getting this information, not to be rude, however don't state things which you have no direct information on. The 2.5 headers made power and can be had on ebay for $250 if you hit the right auction, thats good power for money.

The 3.2 liter had small gains with the headers vs. the 2.5L. Regardless of the cat, the newer exhaust manifold designs from Porsche used on the 2.7 and 3.2 were a lot better even with a cat on them, so gains on those models with a header are much smaller than gains on the 2.5. That is also dyno proven. Read that thread I posted above related to the 2.5 headers. Much later the test the 2.7.

99firehawk is right. There is no 65hp to be had. You will get 20/20 if you do the mods (including the intake). You can do it for less than 3k that he stated however, I have everything for $1200. (349 intake, 599 exhaust 250 headers plus shipping and taxes so over 1200 really but close) and the gain was noticeable but small as everybody has said. However for 20hp for 1200 bux for me is fine plus the extra noise and it all looks quite nice at the back of the car, money well spent. I didn't goto one manufacturer and buy parts that have warranty and support etc as I don't need warranty and support. I build race cars for a living so having to tig weld something or fix something else here or there is easy for me with a hoist and a full shop. I don't do Porsche stuff, so I buy my parts like anybody else, but I do have access to a shop and full line of shop and fabrication tools.

If your tight for cash and 1200 or 3000 isn't easy money for you, don't bother. Just buy the muffler and yank your snorkle it will be basically the same thing noise wise. The power is small so if you don't care, it doesn't matter.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:46 AM
First986NJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
your not going to make a 2.5 boxtser into a hot rod, or any boxster for that matter, people think that by buying an intake that the mfg claims 25 hp for and the exhuast is good for 15 hp and then you take out the snorkal and get another 10 hp and then you get a reflash for another 15
and you added 65 hp to your car....................it doesnt work that way.
You will be doing well to get 20/20 more out of the car with a headers/muffler/intake and you will be in 3000$ +
IF you want more perfomance get a diffrent car step up to an s or to a 911.
90% of the people who feel a huge diffrence is purly physco sematic justifing next months credit card statement.
If you want the sound then by all means buy it for that.
I agree on the additive math, and on the 20 (to 25) HP range, and there is no arguing the $ involved are stiff (you did, after all purchase a P-O-R-S-C-H-E) , but I pull up short of believing the HP gain is strictly psychosomatic. No attack on firehawk intended, but that is just BS.

I have been driving performance cars since I was 18, and that's a LONG-LONG time ago. I have built and driven bracket cars and "Gas" cars where 10 HP makes a HUGE difference in your win/loss totals. I drive my Boxster hard and often, and I can feel a 20+ HP change. Of this, I am sure.

There is a distinct, and noticable difference in the acceleration, how hard the car pulls through the mid range, and the ability to use the throttle to rotate the car after I made these changes. These all point to HP and torque increases. I do not have access to a dyno, but I can assure you that this is not "all in my mind." Whether or not that was worth the $1800 I spent is a matter of personal preference.

I my case: A-B-S-O-L-U-T-E-L-Y. Since I added the ROW M030 suspension and vented rotors as well, my car is very close to an "S" now. I know the brakes are still slightly larger on the S and is has the 6 spd trans, but I'm not tracking the car extensively, and the base brakes are no slouches either. Trans - well that's just not practical to change unless mine goes bad.

......And while I know it's blasphemous, I don't want a 911....If I wanted a 911 I would have bought one instead of the 986. The 911 has to be driven totally different. I have driven both, and with all due respect to the 911 guys, I love the handling of mid engine design roadster.
The following users liked this post:
Hasbro (11-01-2019)
Old 04-26-2007, 08:08 PM
gwhand
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have supercharged my Boxster it has 145000 miles on her 2.5 engine.
I've had no problems with it and love the power i have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dWS3Rwtc4c

Forced induction is not for everyone, i like it, you may not. No big deal either way, but don't discount the supercharger only because your 2.5 have mileage on it.

Everyone have a great day.
Gary

Rennlist member 061112-5154
Old 04-26-2007, 08:18 PM
986Jim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hahah nice video gwhand...
Old 05-10-2007, 10:41 AM
wdonovan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Three relevant but unrelated observations:
1) I've been driving fast cars for many years and I can't feel 20 HP.
2) I've got a question about making the car faster with a "lighter exhaust". How much lighter, 50 lbs? If you sat a 50 lb. 6 year old in your car, would you feel the car being slower? Don't think I'm sensitive enough to feel that one either.
3) Years ago, we had a cop with a Firebird come to our shop on a regular basis. He always wanted to know how to make his car faster. He also (in true cop fashion) would question us individually and separately to compare suggestions. He had the multiple electrode plugs, headers, intake airfoil, airbox...... your basic Saturday afternoon bolt-on stuff. No porting, no head work, no cam, compression, never took the motor out. He added up all the aftermarket HP claims and was convinced that his motor made an extra 250 HP. It didn't, but what are you going to do, argue with a cop?
Old 05-11-2007, 05:40 PM
First986NJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wdonovan
Three relevant but unrelated observations:
1) I've been driving fast cars for many years and I can't feel 20 HP.
2) I've got a question about making the car faster with a "lighter exhaust". How much lighter, 50 lbs? If you sat a 50 lb. 6 year old in your car, would you feel the car being slower? Don't think I'm sensitive enough to feel that one either.
3) Years ago, we had a cop with a Firebird come to our shop on a regular basis. He always wanted to know how to make his car faster. He also (in true cop fashion) would question us individually and separately to compare suggestions. He had the multiple electrode plugs, headers, intake airfoil, airbox...... your basic Saturday afternoon bolt-on stuff. No porting, no head work, no cam, compression, never took the motor out. He added up all the aftermarket HP claims and was convinced that his motor made an extra 250 HP. It didn't, but what are you going to do, argue with a cop?
I don't know what defines "fast cars" exactly, but if your driving 400hp cars, then no, you probably can't feel 20 hp. On a "low" hp car though, 20 hp can be noticable.

50# is probably 1/2 a tenth in the quarter. Can you feel it? probably not. Is is faster? The ticket says so........

Quick Reply: PERFORMANCE UPGRADE????