Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum-67/)
-   -   '89 911 v ' 00 Box S (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/34232-89-911-v-00-box-s.html)

CheneyH 03-14-2003 10:38 PM

'89 911 v ' 00 Box S

Completely new to this site... I just registered today. Directed here by my BMW mechanic, and it looks like a great forum.

Anyway, this is my question. I just started looking into finally upgrading from my '92 325IS w/chip. What are your opinions on the comparison of a '89 911 v. '00 Box S. They seem similar in HP (~250), torque (229#ft v 225#ft) and comp (11.3:1 v 11.0:1). Slightly different in wt (3197# v 2855#). OR... I could be completely misinformed. (Been looking for only 2 weeks.)

What about a '92 911?

schlag 03-15-2003 07:38 PM

The late 89/early 90s 911 (964) can potentially be a bit of a handful maintenance wise. . however it's an air-cooled classic. Acceleration performance will be similar. Boxster S will be more reliable, and handle better. 911 of that vintage will cost less.

Both are fun and amazing cars, and you must drive both to determine which is for you.

adsc4s 03-15-2003 08:03 PM

I think any older p-car will be a "bit of a handful maintenance wise" compared to a newer p-car. You are comparing a 14 year old car to a 3 year old car.

The 964 will cost you less to get into but may cost you more to maintain, at least until the Boxster starts to age, then it could be a toss up.

However, IMHO, even though the acceleration may be similar and the Boxster will outhandle a 964, a 964 is still a 911, the Porsche flagship and there is nothing that can replace the driving experience in a 911.

For what it is worth, I have a friend with one of the first Boxsters and it is as big a money pit as my 964.

schlag 03-15-2003 08:38 PM

Yeah but the early 964 has some show-stopping issues (arguably overblown) that not all old P-cars have.

adsc4s 03-15-2003 08:59 PM

Very arguably overblown. Is your 944 perfect without any "show stopping issues"? In fact, what is a show stopping issue? It is idiots like you that are pathetic. Have you ever owned a 964? Have you ever owned a 964 with these issues?

Dropping $2K for a new clutch in a $3K 944 is not "show stopping"? No it is stupid. Stop slamming something you obviously have no knowledge about.

I OWN a 964 that had the heads sealed. I have replaced the clutch, flywheel and distributor. Is it perfect? No. But at least I have knowledge about what is being asked.

schlag 03-15-2003 09:29 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by adscab911:
<strong>Very arguably overblown. Is your 944 perfect without any "show stopping issues"? In fact, what is a show stopping issue? It is idiots like you that are pathetic. Have you ever owned a 964? Have you ever owned a 964 with these issues?

Dropping $2K for a new clutch in a $3K 944 is not "show stopping"? No it is stupid. Stop slamming something you obviously have no knowledge about.

I OWN a 964 that had the heads sealed. I have replaced the clutch, flywheel and distributor. Is it perfect? No. But at least I have knowledge about what is being asked.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Um.. name-calling? That's childish, not to mention uncalled for. Rennlist is a friendly forum and we're discussing a hobby here, remember.

I am letting this person know that the early 964 has some well-documented and potentially nasty issues, compared to the Boxster S. I kindly implied that these problems are perhaps overblown. I also stated that the 964 is an air-cooled classic and an amazing car. Where is the error in these statements? I don't see why you took such offense. I really hope you don't respond to people in real life in such a belligerant fashion.

(ps. Clutch kits for the 944 are $600-700, friend.)

jabbadeznuts 03-15-2003 09:39 PM

0wned!

IMB951 03-15-2003 09:46 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by jabbadeznuts:
<strong>0wned!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I'll second that :D

944Fest (aka Dan P) 03-15-2003 09:53 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by adscab911:
<strong>It is idiots like you that are pathetic. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Methinks the adSCAB doth protest too much. Sensitive subject, huh? Is that truth that is rubbing your nerve so raw?

Also, the 928 is recognized as the Porsche flagship, at least in the 90's when it was top $$ dog. It is guys like you that give 911 owners a bad name.

Rich Sandor 03-15-2003 10:02 PM

ouch, talk about over-reacting!

back on topic: Cheney, whichever P-car you decide to buy, be ready to pay for maintenance. It's a cold hard fact of Porsche ownership. Sooner or later, anyways.

Having driven both an early C4 and a few later Boxsters, I have to admit, both ARE pretty similar in performance, but don't buy based on performance alone.

Buy based on condition. If you find a mint 911, with a full service history, go for it. You might find a high mileage Boxster with a shakey history for a low price, but I would avoid it. Even if it is only 4 years old.

That, and you really have to drive both yourself!

I hope you do find a P-car you like, and you're always welcome to come here and ask if something breaks!!! :)

Brian McCoy 03-15-2003 10:08 PM

<strong>Is your 944 perfect without any "show stopping issues"? In fact, what is a show stopping issue? It is idiots like you that are pathetic.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Grief - where the hell did THAT come from. There's not a P-car out thee without its' own issues. That's just the way things are (it doesn't drive like a Honda, so don't expect it to upkeep like a Honda - even if it costs less than most Hondas). Adscab911, try a nice cup of hot tea and relax a little....

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica"><strong>Stop slamming something you obviously have no knowledge about.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">You have absoluty no way of knowing that schlag doesn't have experience with the 964. Perhaps there was one in the family, or he helped a friend deal with one. Shoot, maybe he even had one and the sour econimc times have force him to sell and settle for something that costs less to buy and insure in order to put food on the table.

Were comments like yours even remotely reflective of the people I generally meet on here, I'd sell my Porsche and buy the previously mentioned Honda in an instant.

adsc4s 03-15-2003 10:14 PM

I think you 944 guys are a little sensitive. I've had one and now I am the happy owner of a 964 and 993.

Incidentally, I don't drink tea. If people are going to spout off on my car of choice, I think it is fair game to reciprocate.

By the way, what the h#*!ll are you 944 guys in ths forum? Wasn't the question comparing a 89 C4 to a Boxster? Bored? Get a life and I will too!

adsc4s 03-15-2003 10:18 PM

Brian, get off your high horse. If people are going to give their opinions at the expense of others, accept the heat. I certainly have. By the way, you guys are a little too serious. Lighten up! After all, don't we all own the best cars in the world?

MM951 03-15-2003 10:20 PM

Maybe 944 guys came in to share an opinion as well...for all you know (maybe me?) owns a 964 or has! and also owns a 944...

IMB951 03-15-2003 10:20 PM

yeah but obviously you cant seem to give your opinion in a decent manner, calling people pathetic idiots!

And since when are 944 people not allowed to post in other forums?