Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum-67/)
-   -   18" five spoke lightweight wheels (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/324481-18-five-spoke-lightweight-wheels.html)

Doug&Julie 03-08-2007 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
Doug,

I have the RE050A Pole Positions on my S, I'm really pleased with them.
Sweet wheels! Those are the ones I want but not in the budget with the upcoming arrival of my first kid :) Oh well

Well the new kid is definitely more important! Besides, your cars look great as they are. My problem is I need new summer wheels/tires...I can't drive on the winter 17s all year! (..although, it does make for a comfy ride.. :p)

Glad to hear you like your RE050As...they seem to be the smartest way to go here.

unklekraker 03-08-2007 11:00 AM

doug, thanks for the very informative choices of tire selection you've provided..I'll pull the trigger this friday on the 18' carrera wheels and will get the Kumho SPT @ tire rack and as soon as I got it, Ill post the pix of my smile from ear to ear...hehehehehe! for less than $1600, got me a new set of wheels and tires :)

Doug&Julie 03-08-2007 11:29 AM

Cool! I will, of course, also post after the change. :cool:

unklekraker 03-08-2007 02:08 PM

for sure, i"ll post the before and after :)

perfectlap 03-08-2007 06:12 PM

nice looks like you found yourself a nice deal UnkleKraker (on the wheels). Being that you saved yourself $1200+ vs. going factory Carrera 5 spoke I would spring for PS2 or B'stone PP's, I don't think the $300-$400 difference is worth passing up on top drawer rubber. Its the most important part of the car. But if you have a set budget its a good choice.

I might get a set of these and just keep my winter tires (Pirelli Snows) on them and run my Factory Carreras on my SUmmer tires.

unklekraker 03-08-2007 06:17 PM

Thanks, P/L! i would love to get the PS2's or the PP's but I'll be stretching my budget..gotta save some for Spring snowboarding or D/E's :)

perfectlap 03-08-2007 06:28 PM

hmm....if you are doing DE's or Autocross then I would make cuts elsewhere and get the expensive tires. Although I don't really consider good tires to be expensive just comes with the territory of having a world class roadster.

c'mon I'm sure you've got some things lying around you don't need. THat's what I do before I "splurge". Just sold $1100 worth of useless stuff (to me) I had in storage I forgot about. People will buy anything on EBay.

unklekraker 03-08-2007 07:33 PM

you are right there, P/L! Im planning to do spring cleaning in my garage in a few weeks and I know I got some stuff there that I dont need and might get few more dollars out of it...hmmm!

you rock, dude! :rockon: thanks for the idea

Doug&Julie 03-08-2007 08:18 PM

Man, I've got to get some stuff on eBay...

stumpjumper 03-09-2007 08:45 AM

so Doug, did you sell me your sport classic II's just because you hated cleaning them? :)

(just got the replacement wheel from wheel enchancement, can't wait to put the pretty buggers on)

Doug&Julie 03-09-2007 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by stumpjumper
so Doug, did you sell me your sport classic II's just because you hated cleaning them? :)

(just got the replacement wheel from wheel enchancement, can't wait to put the pretty buggers on)

Awesome, be sure to send/post a pic when they're on.

Truly, I really didn't want to go with 18" wheels (especially with 10" wide in the back!), but I couldn't find good 17" wheels w/o paying a premium for new wheels. (I thought for sure I'd find something decent on eBay? ..no.) Add to the decision that I may have to sell the Boxster this year (already :rolleyes: ), and I started thinking re-sale. ..and the money issue is playing a bigger part than I thought it would. So I guess I'll deal with a more punishing ride for some inexpensive cool wheels that are much easier to clean. :)

stumpjumper 03-09-2007 11:21 AM

bummer

you could have had my 18 inch turbo twists cheap :)

Doug&Julie 03-09-2007 11:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)

bummer

you could have had my 18 inch turbo twists cheap :)

Thanks, but to be honest, I'm not a big fan of the turbo twists for some reason.

These are the ones I was hoping to find (for a somewhat unique look on the Boxster). They're called a "Carrera 4" wheel...they were on the first 996 C4s when they came out. But I couldn't find them through anybody other than Wheel Enhancement, and I wasn't interested in spending $1200 - $1600 just on wheels. I don't know, maybe I should have just done it...

stumpjumper 03-09-2007 11:52 AM

I don't like them either, that's why I wanted yours :)

Doug&Julie 03-09-2007 11:56 AM

I don't like them either, that's why I wanted yours :)

:p