Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum-67/)
-   -   P0430 Catalytic Converter Conversion Too Low (Cylinders 4 - 6) (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/323367-p0430-catalytic-converter-conversion-too-low-cylinders-4-6-a.html)

Tierce 01-10-2007 07:37 PM

P0430 Catalytic Converter Conversion Too Low (Cylinders 4 - 6)

:surr: :surr: :surr: :surr: :surr: :surr: :surr:

Does this code mean that I have to replace the cat on that side? The light has come on a couple of times in the last day or two. I reset it yesterday, and drove about 300 miles today for business, and it came back on on my way home tonight.

I had a problem with a vaccuum leak a while back and ended up replace the MAF and all o2 sensors. It ran rich for a while so I have reason to believe that the cats may be clogged, but I've put a lot of miles on it since that repair, and it's just now coming back.

Any and all advise would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

986Jim 01-10-2007 08:11 PM

Does it drive normally? If so drive it with the light on, who cares. If the light bothers you pull the dash and pull the bulb out..

If you really must have the light off to sleep at night, then buy a new cat. It may also be the rear O2 sensor is failing and not giving a proper reading the ECU is translating into a failing cat.

Running rich doesn't clog the cat it actually burns them out after a long time and will basically empty the whole canister leaving it hollow. That takes about a year of a super rich condition, but I have pulled cats of VW's that were hollow after having an ECU problem and running really rich. Cat's don't really clog unless you have foreign matter inside the exhaust system clogging it.

Tierce 01-10-2007 09:29 PM

It drives normally, and all of the O2 sensors are new, So I'm pretty sure they are not failing. The light does bother me just because I have to look at it, but I'm not going out and buying a cat right away. I don't have the money right now.

If I decide to buy the cat, I'll probably get a header system with performance cats.

The problem with the light is that I'm in NC and have to have an emissions inspection once a year. I've got some time till that comes around again, but something will have to be done before that time. So I can't ignore it completely.

Macster 01-10-2007 09:45 PM

My '02 with 162,000+ miles is emitting the same CEL...

Originally Posted by Tierce

Does this code mean that I have to replace the cat on that side? The light has come on a couple of times in the last day or two. I reset it yesterday, and drove about 300 miles today for business, and it came back on on my way home tonight.

I had a problem with a vaccuum leak a while back and ended up replace the MAF and all o2 sensors. It ran rich for a while so I have reason to believe that the cats may be clogged, but I've put a lot of miles on it since that repair, and it's just now coming back.

and just before the holidays I suspected the #2 O2 sensor on that side (#2) was going bad.

Viewing the sensor activity in real time with an OBD2 code reader/data viewer I could see the O2 sensor essentially read low more often that not.

Previously, I had another O2 sensor do this -- intermittently -- and after I had O2 sensor replaced, well, problem solved. The O2 sensor was just going bad.

Rather than spring for a converter, I had what I suspected to be another intermittently bad sensor replaced.

But tech checked the sensor voltage before removing it and the voltage of the new one after isntalling it and while the old sensor was was reading low quite a bit, even the new sensor read low several times during the pretty short monintoring interval.

The tech's diagnosis was the convertor was going bad, worn out or plugged.

Well, the engine doesn't run like the converter's plugged and the car and engine have received quite good care, so I believe the convertor's likely near the end of its life. (However, at around 80,000 miles the air/oil separator failed and the engine ingested/burnt alot oil, enough so that I suspect this contributed to the other O2 sensor on the other bank going bad. OTOH, that was over 80,000 miles ago and one would suspect any resulting clogging from the AOS would have made itself known before now.)

However, just in case, I've put one bottle of Techron (12 gallon treatment) through the engine -- CEL came on during this tank of gas -- and just the other night put in another 12 gallon treatment.

I'm hoping Techron will clean the convertor and resurrect it.

If not, them I'm going to think seriously about removing the converter and flushing it with some cleaner -- carb cleaner? -- to see if 1) anything comes out; and 2) and even if the fluid comes out clear, if this "fixes" the converter before I spring for a new one.

My car is scheduled for a smog check this year (middle of the year) so I've got a few months to experiment (or do some more research to try to pinpoint the source of this problem) before I have to shell out for a new converter.

Oh, it is not quite conclusive, but the CEL seems more likely to come on running off-brand gasolines (if Arco gas can be called off-brand: Chevron and Shell premiums seem much less likely to see the CEL come on), in CA. Recently returned from a nearly 5000 mile trip (mostly outside of CA) and CEL came on just once while I was putting around in William AZ after a snow storm trying to warm up car enough to clear snow/ice from windows.

Out on the open road, though, and doing stop/go driving on other urban areas, no CEL.

Sincerely,

Macster.

blinkwatt 01-11-2007 04:18 AM

I can't remember the website/company but someone makes replacement cats for about 1/2 price.

99firehawk 01-11-2007 10:46 AM

That fault is thrown due to a bad cat, you will need a new one
but cast are covered under 8 year 80k miles so iif your under 80k take it to the dealer

Macster 01-24-2007 03:44 PM

An update for the 0430 DTC... After running two bottles of Techron...

Originally Posted by Tierce

through the engine, as per directions on the Techron bottle, CEL has not come back on, since the 2nd tank of treated gas.

Just before 1st tank of gas gone CEL did come on - 0430 -- but I cleared it and then got another bottle of Techron into the gas tank -- IIRC there was one tank of Arco gas between the 2 tanks of Chevron gas (each treated with a bottle of Techron) and the CEL hasn't come on since.

Can't tell you the mileage but my '02 has 163,700+ miles and that works out to around 2700 miles per month, so probably I've driven the car around 1000+ miles since the last of the 2nd tank of treated gas was burned through.

Not saying Techron will cure every 0430 DTC, but you might give it a try just to see. I felt it better to try Techron first rather than just springing for a new converter (at around $1000!).

Sincerely,

Macster.

Tierce 01-24-2007 03:48 PM

I erased the codes on mine, and they haven't come back since. Probably cleaned itself out. Fuel mileage is still good, so I probably won't have to do anything at this point.

blinkwatt 01-24-2007 09:59 PM

@ Macster,

How many miles have you put on its since your last CEL appeared?

Macster 01-26-2007 04:12 PM

How many miles? Roughly around 1000... However, this AM...

Originally Posted by blinkwatt
@ Macster,

How many miles have you put on its since your last CEL appeared?

on way to work, CEL came on and I checked code: 0430!

Guess the absence of any CEL after the last bottle of Techron and the last thousand miles or so was just a fluke...

Oh well, it worth a try to "fix" converter by some other means other than replacing it, especially since the converter prices out at around $1000 a pop!

Not going to replace converter until get closer to having to have car smogged...

Sincerely,

Macster.

blinkwatt 01-26-2007 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Macster
Oh well, it worth a try to "fix" converter by some other means other than replacing it, especially since the converter prices out at around $1000 a pop!

I would give Sunset Imports a call before you buy them,they will have the lowest price. I couldn't find the place that sells the replacement cats for Porsches,but it was around $500 a cat if I can remember right. I tried to search really fast but couldn't find their website. What year is your Boxster?

Macster 01-27-2007 06:23 PM

My Boxster's an '02. I have made a mental note to try ...

Originally Posted by blinkwatt
I would give Sunset Imports a call before you buy them,they will have the lowest price. I couldn't find the place that sells the replacement cats for Porsches,but it was around $500 a cat if I can remember right. I tried to search really fast but couldn't find their website. What year is your Boxster?

to find the converter from some place cheaper than my local dealer's part counter.

The dealer's nice, the service people are nice, and last but not least the parts counter people are nice, but I'm not spending $1000 if I can get the same thing for substantially less.

I've heard good things about Sunset, so I'll probably try them.

Almost time for brake pads and rotors too, so I'll be ordering a full 4 wheel set soon. I've done brakes (pads, and pads and rotors) before, so I'll do this set as well.

Then comes clutch. This I'll probably have done at the dealer, cause I don't have the time nor place to do it myself.

Sincerely,

Macster.

deptotpr 12-04-2012 08:50 PM

I had the same thing. Engine Light diagnosis code # P0430.
I stopped at Mobil for gas twice, and had a three hour drive, and ran it like it was stolen. Light came off. I will try the Techron trick too, why not?

"Porsches are meant to be driven not polished"

No affiliation, just making my point ;)
http://player.vimeo.com/video/33469538?autoplay=1

Macster 12-05-2012 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by deptotpr (Post 10048018)
I had the same thing. Engine Light diagnosis code # P0430.
I stopped at Mobil for gas twice, and had a three hour drive, and ran it like it was stolen. Light came off. I will try the Techron trick too, why not?

"Porsches are meant to be driven not polished"

No affiliation, just making my point ;)
http://player.vimeo.com/video/33469538?autoplay=1

Try the Techron. Change the oil/filter after.

BTW, a bit of an update. I read my earlier posts in this thread and noted I have added 100K miles to the car since I posted last. Yes, the car now has over 261K miles.

And it still have the same original converters.

I did some experimenting and settled on Shell gas (91 octane is all I can get here in Kalifonia). The CEL seems to come on less often running this gas vs. a discount gas station gasoline.

Anyhow, another 100K miles and the engine has gone through 2 smog checks, maybe more and passed. The CEL comes on every once in while mainly in cold weather driving short trips. But I try to hammer the car down teh freeway almost 60 miles to work and back once a day... and sometimes 100+ miles when I drive down to visit my sister in the hospital.

This coupled with Shell gasoline (top tier) and giving the car a bit of a run seems to keep the CEL away.

flyingpenguin 12-05-2012 12:28 PM

$310 shipped sounds a lot better than $1000+.

Has anyone tried these guys?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/APDTY-PO2618...0f5000&vxp=mtr