Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can PPI Identify pending engine failure

Old 01-08-2007, 02:53 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can PPI Identify pending engine failure

I have been thinking of getting a 01 -03 boxster or boxster-s, but I am worried about getting a car then the engine blows and I am out the cost of a new motor.

I plan on getting a PPI done on the car, but is there any way for a PPI to identify a major engine problem that plague the boxster. I think an RMS issue would be easy to spot. Is there a mileage point where if it the engine was to fail it would have already failed. Can a PPI also easily identify a reman'd motor.

Reading through some of the posts is sounds like 2nd and 3rd owners are SOL with it come to getting a replacement engine for free, or at least paying labor to install it.

This may be where it is pays to buy a car with all records and posibly a CPO car at a dealer...or roll the dice.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:40 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Firstly RMS is not a failure issue for the complete engine - it's just an annoying oil leak

RMS could be spotted at PPI, if it's leaking to the point where it's visible on the outside of the case.

If it's not leaked to that point - there's no way to see it without a trans removal.

Actual terminal engine issues, such as porous block (Intermix coolant and oil), slipping cylinder linings, intermediate shaft failure are a mixed bag.

If you have intermix visible in the oil/coolant at PPI - it's already too late - walk away!

Slipping cylinder linings and IS failure would just happen one day - no warnings - no visible signs at PPI.

Later cars should be better for sure, other than that a dealer CPO at least gives you 12 mths warranty on the purchase.

Given the choice, I'd go 03 rather than 01 for sure.

There is no magic mileage by which you're safe - but failures in later models would appear to be few and far between. My service manager's view of early 986's is 'they came off the boat with blown engines' - that's his take...

You have the option of dealer CPO or extended 3rd party warranty to cover you, so you may want to look at that as well.

Having had two early Boxsters (97 & 99), each needing new engines in early life, I'm cautious - but it hasn't deterred me at all.

I would not buy anything before 03 myself, but that's just me....

Having said that, my last Boxster (99) is still going strong on it's 2nd engine (75,000 miles)

But when I bought my 996, I went for an 03
Old 01-08-2007, 03:56 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Other points of interest to look for on PPI include:

Coolant tank - they 'always' crack and slow leak on the 986 - coolant smell is the most obvious sign, may not be any visible coolant on the floor for months!

Coolant hoses - usual cracks and failures

Coolant Pump - seem to die prematurely

Coolant Tank Cap - leaks coolant at lower than specified pressure - check for later (01) model code

Secondary air system - causes check engine light when the system fails to deliver air to the exhaust during cold start - seems to happen over 60k miles

Air filter - K&N can causes MAF failure - better to have stock filter

Creaking front suspension - warn bushings - very annoying - expensive to fix!

Additional list HERE
Old 01-08-2007, 04:45 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Thanks for the great information. I have heard that 03 is when things got better. That is where my question about identifying a reman'd engine came from. If they put in an 03 or better engine I would be ok...well....

I do remember the oil/coolant mixing problem. That is a dead ringer.

I have found a few cars with new engines, so that would work for me or I go the extended warranty or CPO route.

Thanks again,
Old 01-08-2007, 04:59 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Jim,

if a Boxster had a replacement engine under warranty, then the curent owner can get any Porsche dealership to pull the warranty repair file from the Porsche system, and you can have a look at when the work was completed.

All warranty work at any dealership is recorded - you just need the current vehicle owner's permission to pull that file - and you can ask any dealership to do this for you.

If the car you are looking at is a dealer car, they can obviously get it with no issues.

This file is worth pulling for any Porsche you buy used - as it gives you at least the warranty part of the vehicle history - not just replacement engine data

Out of warranty service data is also held locally at the last dealership where the car was serviced, and is not accessable to the general chain of dealers to review.

In this case you have to call that specific dealership, with the owners permission, and pull the data from the local service system.

Or you can sweet talk the service manager into giving it to you

Either way, these reports will show you if the car has had on-going RMS issues with multiple replacements etc - useful data.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:17 PM
pl
Drifting

cdodkin is right on.
plus, you can always do PPI in the dealership.
you should ask for:
1. the complete warranty repire history.
2. main. records(if the same dealer who services the car)
3. radio code.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:53 AM
jaholmes
Drifting

Thanks for the great insight on how to get service records out of the Porsche dealer. My feeling is that the car was probably an off-lease vehicle and was a little rough so it was sent through an auction. If any service was done I can probably find it at the dealer; but which one...

Also, for a reman'd engine, do you typically get the uprated HP with a new engine or is literally like-for-like. There is an 02 2.7L that I am interested in and a new engine was put in 03 or 04. Would it have the updated engine and HP.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:15 AM
pl
Drifting

if you need: call 800 porsche.
by providing VIN#, you can find where the car was org. sold and any pending recalls.
good luck.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:25 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Jim,

unless someone paid for an upgrade, the replacement engine would be like for like.

They are remanufactured by Porsche and shipped from Germany as a complete unit for install.

A car with a new engine is a good find, and as PL mentioned, calling Porsche with the VIN should allow them to tell you where the car was serviced.

A follow-up call to that dealership would be useful.

Note that any warranty work that was done on the car can be viewed at any dealership using the Porsche system, so pop down to your local Porsche dealership, explain to the service manager that you're looking at buying the car, and see if they'll pull the warranty service file for you.

You'll need the VIN - and that should give you access to pages and pages like this:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can PPI Identify pending engine failure