Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need, help...3rd rear main seal and they want me to pay.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 06:25 PM
dermass
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need, help...3rd rear main seal and they want me to pay.

Its a 2002 Boxster S. First brought the car in a while ago for a slight rear main seal leakage. They replaced the seal with a new one. Probably six months later, same problem. Brought it in again last June and they replaced it(under good will) with an "updated" seal. They said it may take a little while for the residual oil to drain off, and slight leakage can be expected at first(basically the tech probably didnt feel like cleaning the previously leaked oil off the tranny). So I waited a while and it is still actively leaking.

Its at the dealership now, and they said the rear main seal is leaking. They want me to pay for them to put a new seal in. This sounds absolutely ridiculous to me because they never fixed it in the first place! Do they expect me to put a new seal in every 6 months? It should have been fixed the first time, it wasnt so they goodwilled a second new one. Its still leaking, but now Im supposed to pay for it.

The advisor said he called PNA several times and they wont cover it. Ive also heard from this board that some of the engines are machined wrong where the seal seats. He assured me this time they would really look into so it wouldnt happen again. It seems they should have "really looked into it" the second time. So maybe this time ill need an engine, but be expected to pay for it?

Sorry about the rant, but I just wanted any input you guys might have before i go in there tomorrow morning(Thursday morning). Thanks!
Old 12-13-2006, 06:33 PM
blinkwatt
Pro

I would contact your local PCNA rep and let him know of the situation. How long ago was the last RMS replaced?
Old 12-13-2006, 06:36 PM
dennis a from pa
Instructor

..well, you really don't need to replace the seal. It will leak a little...drops...but that is not a major issue.

Porsche did replace motors that were found to be not in tolerance...BUT don't know if they will do that for you. Really, just drive and keep an eye on it...I doubt it wiil became a real issue. When you replace a clutch....put a new seal in.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:46 PM
dermass
Instructor

The last one was replaced in June. I paid for a clutch replacement at that time(no additional labor). So the tranny wont be coming off for a clutch replacement any time soon. It leaves several drops a night on the newly painted garage floor
Old 12-13-2006, 07:00 PM
Tierce
Pro

Most dealerships have a 12 month limited mileage warranty for their work. It may not even involve PNA. They should be responsible for it. Sometimes, you just have to find the right person to complain to.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:29 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

porsche policy is 2 year unlimietd milage on all parts and labor if installed by a porsche dealer
Old 12-13-2006, 07:36 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
porsche policy is 2 year unlimietd milage on all parts and labor if installed by a porsche dealer
not on their warranty work.

i would push for a testing to see if your motor is in/out of tolorance for engine replacement.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:39 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dermass
The last one was replaced in June. I paid for a clutch replacement at that time(no additional labor). So the tranny wont be coming off for a clutch replacement any time soon. It leaves several drops a night on the newly painted garage floor
several drops a night is a lot, IMHO.

it's either your engine is out of spec, or the dealer doesn't know how to do the RMS correctly.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:44 PM
dermass
Instructor

Well, if the engine is out of spec, according to them, Im responsible. If they find just the seal to be bad again, Im responsible there too. Sounds just wrong that they want me to pay for it when this should have been taken care of under warranty.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:10 AM
stumpjumper
Drifting

seeing that you're in Boston which dealer are you going to?
Old 12-15-2006, 07:40 PM
986Jim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Obviously they are having a problem installing it. You had it fixed 6 months ago, and their fix failed. They installed it under warranty, their install was shoddy cause it still leaks, so guess what? They gotta do it again. The first one lasted 4 years, then they install it and it lasts 6 months and now it's your problem? I don't think so... They botched the install or it would have lasted at least as long as the original did, at minimum. That or their work is not on par with Porsche which makes them unqualified to work on your car. So are they saying that their mechanics are incompitant or Porsche parts they use are faulty? Which is it? Cause we all know there is no machining problems with Porsche engines, thats what they constantly tell us isn't it?
Old 12-16-2006, 11:51 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

YOU Cannot screw up a rms install, theres nothing to it round seal into the round hole theres nothing to screw up, some cars leak some dont

dermass have they alos replaced you ims seal?
Old 12-16-2006, 12:18 PM
dermass
Instructor

You can screw up an install. You could tear the sealing lip, you could unknowingly knock the inner spring off, or you could not measure the block correctly in the first place. The only reason the car is going to leak after 5 months following a new seal, is if something was done incorrectly(either on parts or labor).
Update is that the dealership is not budging at all. They even said that if i pay for the install and they find the engine to be out of round, then im repsonsible for a new engine if i choose to go that route. Despite the fact that they never measured it correctly in the first place. I will be calling my Porsche rep. on Monday and see what i can do there.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:47 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

if you tore the lip it would have pissed oil as soon as they started the car, if the knocked the spring off it would have also pissed imediatly Ive seen it happen. I have seen cars that measured fine but went through seals every 6 months. I installed them they were installed correctly.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:02 PM
blinkwatt
Pro

Best step would be to just let your PNCA rep know,this is crazy.

Quick Reply: Need, help...3rd rear main seal and they want me to pay.