Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need, help...3rd rear main seal and they want me to pay.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 06:04 PM
dermass
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what causes certain cars to go through seals every six months? Clearly theres an issue with that. Was this before the updated seal, or whats going on with that?

99firehawk,

Im assuming youre a P-tech. Im a bmw tech and with some RMS on bmw's theres different kinds of loctites that go on some, some seals have grooves cut that you need to inject special sealants with a syringe type tool, etc. Does porsche have anything like that, or are they just a dry press in fit? Is there a special driver that sets the seal depth and insures that the seal goes in straight? Do they all leak from the crank/seal or on the outer edge of the seal against the block? If its leaking from the block sealing point, but the engine is found to be round, do you think it might benefit to coat the outer edge of the seal with 'green' loctite? Sorry about all of the ?'s
Old 12-16-2006, 07:10 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This was before the the new seal, I have seen very few new style seal leaks

The seal is installed dry with a instation tool to set the depth , it generaly leaks from the crank i have neevr seen one that leaked from the block. There is nothing to inject.
Did they replace the intermediate shaft seal when they did the rear main, they leak at the ims as often as the rms. also the bolts for the case should be removed and sealen applied.

Honestly with the new style seal we havent had any more issues. Myabe the rms isnt your leak
Old 12-16-2006, 07:59 PM
dermass
Instructor

hmm, maybe thats the cause. I wouldnt mind the charges, and would understand so if it were a different seal. Kinda sucks theres no way to tell what exactly is leaking until everything is all apart anyways. Ill wait until i talk to the rep. to see what my options are.

Is there an updated IMS seal? Is it porsche policy to replace both whether or not theyre both leaking? Thanks for the info.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:31 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

no updated seal, I do use loctue 574 on the ims seal and the case bolts and the ims bearing support bolts.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:27 PM
jwilson95
Racer

I second the checking of the IMS.

I also have an '02 S that I got from a lease turn in from a Pcar dealer. It had an RMS leak upon the inspection and they did the IMS and the RMS with no issues to date (knocking on wood).

I got a lengthy explanation of the issue creating the problem in production manifesting itself RMS leaks from my local Pcar mechanic dealer.

Hope you can get it under control at no more cost to you!!

Regards,

Jeff
Old 03-03-2007, 09:27 AM
kjtar
Track Day

So, how much does the RMS fix cost out of warranty? And does the Cayenne gasket fix, if done properly, fix it for good?
Tom
Tulsa
Old 03-03-2007, 12:47 PM
dermass
Instructor

Porsche NA ending up splitting the cost with the dealership. No leaks in the past two weeks. Customer pay, i think it wouldve been like 1000 or something, maybe less.

Quick Reply: Need, help...3rd rear main seal and they want me to pay.