Sponsored by:

Non Boxster Porsche Owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 12:34 AM
unklekraker
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non Boxster Porsche Owners

So I took my wife for a drive this wekend @ Pebble Beach/17 mi. drive, Monterey, CA. and the weather is not bad at all..it was an awesome day but i got one thing to say for the Porsche's Turbo (3 of them) & Cayman S (2 of them) owner that I saw while driving...(for the owner of the car that i saw that day) do you guy's have to act like your full of it, I mean is there a rule in the book, somewhere, that once you've own a high end Porsche, you have to act like the rest are a 3rd class citizen . I mean If they said hi or flash their light to you guy's, acknowledge them too....

other than that, i have a wonderful day with my wife of 18 years, who gave me 3 wonderful kids (19, 15, 7) btw...to put face behind the name, i post the pix of me and my wife....

Last edited by unklekraker; 10-16-2006 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:49 AM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, my car is a turbo. It just has the engine in the right place! Just hang out with us 944 guys. We're a lot more fun anyways! j/k

I didn't believe it at first but I've slowly begun to realize that what you've experienced is pretty normal. I appreciate all different kinds of cars and whenever I see an interesting one, regardless of make/model, I give them a wave.

Those people probably bought their Porsche for status only. If that's the case you probably don't want their attention anyway.

Nice looking Boxster there!
Old 10-16-2006, 08:53 AM
dennis a from pa
Instructor

...A Cayman is a high end Porsche?? Not in my view.

You've got to undrstand that Porsche owners are not members of a unique club anymore. the guys who owned 356s and early 911s were generally REAL car people who were technically oriented.....i'd say only about 25% or less fall into that category now.

Many folks today live in their own little world and care only of that world. Californians and many owners from larger population centers seem more self absorbed. Having fun is not as important as being somone these days.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:15 AM
jbarrow
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Is that a picture of your two oldest kids? Congratulations, you've aged well!

-James
Old 10-16-2006, 10:08 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not so much what kind of Porsche you own but rather the kind of Porsche owner you are. Some Porsche owners just don't get it. It is my belief that they buy a Porsche and think it is just another car and nothing more. They don't understand that when you buy a Porsche you become part of a community of enthusiasts. As such, they don't acknowledge a wave of high-beam flash from fellow enthusiasts.

I wave at other Porsche drivers (if I see them coming -- sometimes I am going t0o fast or otherwise distracted and miss them) from 356 drivers to CGT drivers (CGT drivers love the attention). More than a few Boxster and Cayenne drivers don't wave back but the front-engine guys almost always do (maybe these guys are the true enthusiasts).

Just my $0.02.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:42 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I would agree with programmatore, I find that many Boxster owners are as bad as the "High end" guys you speak of. It's the kind of owner you are for sure.
911 owners have been bashed for years as being "elite", really seems to tick off the 944 crowd
For me, A Porsche is a Porsche (Unless it's a truck! ) so I always will acknowledge another P-car owner.

just my .000986 cents

Last edited by Marc Gelefsky; 10-16-2006 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:20 AM
unklekraker
Racer

"Porsche's Turbo (3 of them) & Cayman S (2 of them) owner that I saw while driving...do you guy's have to act like your full of it"

****correction****
What I meant on this comment was, those guy's that I've seen driving that day...I am not saying this for Porsche owner in general. I apologize for the confusion

Mark & Programmatore...i agree with both of you in regards of other Boxster owner. But as for me, It's just that my personality to wave @ other Porker owners....it just tick me off that day, but it's all good now just venting it out...y'all feel me

hey, J! thanks for the comment...
Old 10-16-2006, 04:09 PM
98Boxster
Instructor

Hey Unklekraker : Nice car, I have the same color combo. Only difference is that I have the painted crests in the wheels. I hear you about other Porsche owners not being enthusiats and not waving or anything. Ticks me off too, it's like walking right past someone in the hallway at work and having the other person not even acknowledge you on a Monday morning. I had a 944 beep and wave at me this weekend on the on ramp and I was on the off ramp in my NSX no less. Thought that was way cool. Car guys need to stick together.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:19 PM
unklekraker
Racer

I agree, 98! and thanks for the comment
Old 10-16-2006, 07:29 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

I think most modern Pcar owners can barely even recognise another Porsche - it's the guys driving older Porsches who usually get it. Still, I try to do my bit and wave from my 996.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:45 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Hey I own a GT3 and I've owned a twin turbo, and I've got to tell you that I like the Boxster S better than the turbo, and only slightly less than my GT3. You've got a great little car there, and don't worry about what the snobs think.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:51 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have to admit I stopped trying to do the wave/flash thing. I just plaing got tired of not getting a response. So now the only way you'll get a wave from me is if I see you waving first. I know that's not very friendly, but that's life around here...
Old 10-16-2006, 08:11 PM
discoganya
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I always flash / wave to other p-cars (including Boxsters, but usually not Cayennes). I commute 30 miles one way on 680/101 -- wave back if you see me
Old 10-16-2006, 08:14 PM
unklekraker
Racer

Originally Posted by discoganya
I always flash / wave to other p-cars (including Boxsters, but usually not Cayennes). I commute 30 miles one way on 680/101 -- wave back if you see me
I rarely drive the boxster but of course when I see you, I would wave at you and when you see a bright yellow matrix w/ yakima rack between 2:45pm and 3:45pm...that's me!
Old 10-16-2006, 08:17 PM
discoganya
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by unklekraker
I rarely drive the boxster but ...
Any special reason? Saving it for your 19 year old? We all have amazing cars, and I'm often pained to see how little they are driven. OK, a 60 mile roundtrip commute may be too much.

Quick Reply: Non Boxster Porsche Owners