Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No respect for the Boxster

Old 09-19-2006, 07:22 PM
Jim (CIA PCA region)
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah guys, it was not Tony Soprano commenting about the Boxster, but Ralphie (Joe Pantoliano). He was killed later that season and run through the band saw at Satriale's meat market, IIRC.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:57 AM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by perfectlap
really? that's surprising.
Growing up seeing Tony Montana in Scar Face and Tom Cruise in that movie, I always thought the 928 and 944 were the best looking, very modern and forward. The 911 seemed like a glorified VW to me.
I still think the 928 is the best looking Porsche (well depending on the wheels).
It surprised me the first few mountain runs I took since the 928 was always my favorite Porsche. In the Boxster, the 911 & Ferarri guys were decent. They still looked down their noses at me, but at least they would recognize it. In the 928, totally ignored. I thought there would be a little more respect since it was the most expensive Porsche ever built relative to today's $$$, but the front engine and water cooled for the time wasn't a "real" Porsche.

It's nice, though, when the sweet V8 spanks the little 911.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:46 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd still like to own a 928 someday. Unfortunately, my list of "cars to own" is growing faster than I can experience them!
Old 09-24-2006, 02:31 AM
SoonerE39
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jim (CIA PCA region)
Ah guys, it was not Tony Soprano commenting about the Boxster, but Ralphie (Joe Pantoliano). He was killed later that season and run through the band saw at Satriale's meat market, IIRC.
IIRC, Joe Pantoliano played 'Guido the killer pimp' in Risky Business. Maybe he has a grudge against Porsche ever since banging up his Caddy while chasing the 928?
Old 09-24-2006, 10:21 AM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim (CIA PCA region)
Joe P's character in the Sopranos was killed by Tony and cut up by Tony and Christopher in the bathtub. Then they buried his head in a bowling ball bag as Christopher made the sign of the cross like a good Catholic.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:52 AM
designman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug&Julie
I'd still like to own a 928 someday. Unfortunately, my list of "cars to own" is growing faster than I can experience them!

Doug, I was rreading some old thread in OT recently and came across a post of yours saying you are a designer. What kind?
Old 09-24-2006, 12:26 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by designman
Doug, I was rreading some old thread in OT recently and came across a post of yours saying you are a designer. What kind?
Right now I work for an exhibit company. We do mostly trade show exhibits, but also custom retail elements and interiors. I have a degree in Industrial Design from The College of Creative Studies. I went there to be an automotive designer, but didn't see much of a future in that for me, so I turned more toward product design. My love of architecture and space planning led me to the exhibit industry...where I've been since 1993. (...ugh!)

I have an old online portfolio here: http://www.lumpocole.com:16080/doug/portfolio/ It badly needs to be updated, but I'd planned to do that next year as Julie and I prepare for "the big move" out west in '08. Anywho...it should give you a good idea about what I do.

Old 09-24-2006, 02:50 PM
designman
Rennlist Member

Doug, cool book, I'm impressed! I will definitely refer you if the opportunity arises which doesn't happen often for trade exhibits. Which programs do you use?

(Sorry to hijack the thread.)
Old 09-24-2006, 10:33 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks designman! We use 3D Studio Max for most of our 3D modeling, then add some finishing touches is Photoshop. We've been using CorelDraw to lay out our templates, but I'm trying to get them to go to Illustrator for that. I'm also fluent in AutoCAD. We use PCs at work, but I'm all Mac at home.

If anybody in Portland is looking for a good designer, I'm your man!
Old 09-25-2006, 01:40 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Originally Posted by designman
Joe P's character in the Sopranos was killed by Tony and cut up by Tony and Christopher in the bathtub. Then they buried his head in a bowling ball bag as Christopher made the sign of the cross like a good Catholic.
The a Boxsters "a Porsche with Pantys" comment was made before Joe Pantaliano was added to the show.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No respect for the Boxster