Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*my two-cents*

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 02:45 AM
mreric
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never really understood why anyone gets on here to just complain about their cars. Sure, they are expensive to fix... DUH. it's not a Hundai. IT'S A F'IN PORSCHE! I've gotten on here to ask questions about things gone wrong and advice, but cars break... used cars more than new...

My philosophy on cars: Buy a used one, save some $, but expect to make some repairs. Buy a new car, it's under warranty. Buy a used car that most likely got the **** driven out of it ( a Boxster) expect more repairs than a used Taurus.

I am also a little suprised when I see people on here that are SHOCKED that their 1999 Boxster's engine blew and Porsche won't fix it. IT'S OUT OF WARRANTY. Unless UNICEF starts running Porsche, I doubt any give aways on repairs will start on their out of warranty cars.

I'm glad you have decided to walk away from Porsche. Hopefully you will find a vehicle that meets your expectations. If you liked the roadster aspect of the Boxster, I highly reccomend the Mercedes SLK cars... very fun little cars to drive around in. Not sure on their reliability, I think any premium gar that is now used is going to be riddled with horror stories on the web. seems like the nicer the car, the more potential issues.

sorry, that was a little bit of a ramble. Good luck in your future car endeavors.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:50 AM
85percent
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mreric
I am also a little suprised when I see people on here that are SHOCKED that their 1999 Boxster's engine blew and Porsche won't fix it. IT'S OUT OF WARRANTY. Unless UNICEF starts running Porsche, I doubt any give aways on repairs will start on their out of warranty cars.
you're suprised that 99 boxster owners were pissed that Porsche assembled faulty engines and didn't do anything about it?

it's out of warranty, sure, but it was Porsche's fault to begin with.

Ok, let's say my transmission went out on me when my warranty was up, but it wasn't an overwhelming problem that other owners were experiencing... would i be furious about spending money on a new tranny? no, because that happens, it's a car and once in a while random faults with used cars happen...... but when a car has a catastrophic engine failure for no reason at all, and thousands of other owners owning the same car and same year experience the same exact thing, creating a 'trend', it obviously proves there was some mistake made with the original engineering/assembly/parts of that car.. so when this happens and the company doesn't back what they sold, it tends to **** off the people that dished out thousands of dollars fixing the company's mistake..
Old 08-21-2006, 10:39 AM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by 85percent
but when a car has a catastrophic engine failure for no reason at all, and thousands of other owners owning the same car and same year experience the same exact thing
Where did you compile this information about "thousands" of other owners. I don't believe the information on the number of failures is known to anyone outside of PAG.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:17 AM
986Jim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buddy, the light would have come on for the brake pads if you had the car running properly. Why didn't the light come on? You should be able to tell us that if you did regular maintenance on the car. Pull the fuses and look at them. Pull your wheels off and manually inspect the pads and see whats up.

If you don't look after the car yourself then don't complain when somebody else has to do it for you and charge you.

The engine blew up and that sucks, I'm sorry to hear it. My 99 is outside the production dates they said the faulty engines were built in, still it's always in the back of my mind. Anyway good luck with whatever else you decide to buy.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:13 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

I'm on my 4th Porsche. 2 of them were bought new and 2 were used. Never had any major problems with the used ones. With a new one, obviously there's a warranty.

You do what you feel you need to but here's some advice:

If you're buying a used high performance car, based on your unfortunate experiences, I think it would be a good idea to get one with an extended warranty, even if you have to pay extra for it. It's cheap insurance compared to the potential costs you could incur.

Good luck with your decision.

Quick Reply: *my two-cents*