Any owners over 6' ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 04:37 PM
Dave Howerdel
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any owners over 6' ?

Are there any owners here over 6'?

I just bought a my99 for the wife and I'll be damned, but I barely fit in the thing. My legs are cramped and I have to bend into the passenger seat to see when stopped at a traffic signal. I'm a hair over 6'1" and about 220lbs. I thought the interior would have provided at least as much driver comfort as my old 944. I cn't believe they coun't gain another inch of headroom and at least 2" of legroom through a better thought out design. It's rep as a "chick" car is destined to remain as long as only people of small stature can enjoy it.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:10 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

They improved this with the 987.
I'm 6'2" and about 210 pounds and found myself really cramped in the 986. I waited for the 987 and it was definitely worth the wait...but I still wish there was more room...
Old 06-07-2006, 06:53 PM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rotate the seat back forward to almost straight up, slide the seat forward about an inch, then let the seat down all the way. After that, slide it all the way back then rotate the seat back to the position you like.

That's what my wife does to get it all the way back. At 6'-2" and 36" inseam, she fits with no problems. Knees and head are clear.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:02 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Agree with deliriousga, though it took me a while to figger it out

Fits me just fine now

I am 6'3'' and 240 lbs
Old 06-07-2006, 09:55 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep deliriousga has it right - it's the 'height adjustment' that actually allows us tall folks to fit in the Boxster ok.

I'm 6' 2" and .... errr over 240 lbs

If the seat is all the way back, the rear wall of the passenger area stops the height adjust from allowing the seat to sink all the way back down.

So slide the seat fwd, then do the seat-drop - it sinks down AND backwards.

Then slide back the seat as far as it will go.

You'll have more leg room, more knee room, and your head won't be sticking out the top!

Chris.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:51 PM
blue2000s
Advanced

I'm 6'1" with plenty of extra space.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:44 AM
Dave Howerdel
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spent about 20min trying to find the optimum position and came to the following conclusion. I could either increase the legroom whereby I sit higher with my back at 90 degrees or I could sit lower, my back at a comfortable position yet with my legs splayed and cramped.

I would go back and forth between positions since onc e one was comfortable, the other became awkward and visaversa. Frustrating as hell. If only they could have set the pedals/floorboard back a few more inches, I would have been able to find the perfect position.

My wife at 5'4" considers the boxster interior to be perfect whereas she feels lost in the cockpits of my 928s. I find the 928 to fit me perfectly. It wouldn't be fair to modify/change the seats, etc in the boxter to suit my frame when it feels tailor made for her.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:19 PM
Gumbo
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm 6'2" and 250, and I fit comfortably in the car. Listen to them, it just takes some playing around with the adjustments. When I first test drove the car I fit fine. I bought the car, and someone else had driven it since, so I couldn't fit no matter how I adjusted it comfortably. After a lousy drive back from Daytona, I fooled with it at home, and figured out how to get an extra inch or so. It was fine from then on.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:58 PM
AF330i
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

I had a 2003 Boxster and after 15 minutes of driving I would get very uncomfortable ... after 2 months I gave up on trying every seatng position possible and got rid of it.

I tried to move the seat all the way down like others here said but then I found the seat bottom at a weird angle ... the newer boxster is a little better.

The last day I had the car I was in it for 2 hours and it was pure torture.... my body ached for 2 days afterwards ...

BTW I am 5'10"
Old 06-08-2006, 11:15 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

The real trick is figgering out how to make the seat sit down

Gotta move the seat full forwards first, then pull the lever and with your legs, push the seat in a downward motion, then slide it back.

I went from -1 in head room to > 2in headroom after the adjustment.....
Old 06-08-2006, 11:31 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

I had a 2003 Boxster and after 15 minutes of driving I would get very uncomfortable ... after 2 months I gave up on trying every seatng position possible and got rid of it.

I tried to move the seat all the way down like others here said but then I found the seat bottom at a weird angle ... the newer boxster is a little better.

The last day I had the car I was in it for 2 hours and it was pure torture.... my body ached for 2 days afterwards ...

BTW I am 5'10"
I'm 5'10, 205 and have plenty of room.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:44 AM
stumpjumper
Drifting

I'm 6' 205 and once I figured out how to get the seat down all the way I also fit fine, but, I think that I'll be more comfortable in the car once I install the GT3 Console Delete kit which removes the console in the center

the kit costs about $150 and includes a plastic trim peice for the shifter and the carpeting to cover up the frame, however depending on the sound package your car came with and how you feel about the horrible cup holders you may not want to do it

I've stopped using the cupholders completely since buying a pair from www.ultimatecupholders.com and I don't have the cd tray or the dsp box, so the only thing I'll have to do is buy the trim peice for the climate control to fit in the DIN section next to the head unit

once this is done legroom should be a non-issue
Old 06-09-2006, 11:46 AM
Devildog2067
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm 6' 180 with long legs and I fit fine, but I like to sit straight up. I have the seat all the way down, not quite all the way back, and I have several inches above my head with the top down.

The only thing I wish it has is tilt; the tops of my legs bump the steering wheel sometimes. I had the same complaint in my 944s.

Originally Posted by stumpjumper
so the only thing I'll have to do is buy the trim peice for the climate control to fit in the DIN section next to the head unit
I've been wanting to do this--not the console delete, just the moving the climate controls to the DIN section up top. Where does one get the trim piece?

Originally Posted by deliriousga
That's what my wife does to get it all the way back. At 6'-2" and 36" inseam, she fits with no problems. Knees and head are clear.
Does your wife play for the WNBA?
Old 06-09-2006, 02:58 PM
stumpjumper
Drifting

Originally Posted by Devildog2067
I've been wanting to do this--not the console delete, just the moving the climate controls to the DIN section up top. Where does one get the trim piece?
you can order it from any dealer, it's part number 996.552.677.00.01C and should be under $5 (thanks go to Loren at RennTech for giving the part number)
Old 06-09-2006, 04:08 PM
Grssypond
Advanced

Default 6'4 1/2" just fine

I was in a loaner 06 tip w/ manual seats for a week while they attended to my 04 CTT. Agree w/ the above on positioning...pull forward, rachet down, recline then move back. It took some effort to figure out initially. But once I got in the 'best' position it was fine. View out the front greatly improved with the 'correct' positioning. I wish the foot rest for the left foot was deeper in the well. I had a blast for the week.....got me thinking of getting into a Boxster....Ingress and egress are annoying..esp w/ top up....small price for such driving pleasure.

I have an 04 CTT w/ 35k miles and it felt sloppy and dowdy after a week in the Boxster.

Sean

Quick Reply: Any owners over 6' ?