Sponsored by:

Newest PCA Member

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 11:33 AM
986 Girl
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newest PCA Member

Hello all! I'm Cassandra, 23 years old, and yesterday I picked up my brand new (at least to me) '98 Boxster. I previously had a 2002 Nissan Xterra, which was bought to help teach me to drive in the snow since I had never done so before.

I've never owned a Porsche before, but once I sat in this Boxster I absolutely could not see buying anything else. Today and tomorrow I'm breaking her in at two autocrosses, so I'm extremely excited to see how she performs. My favorite reaction so far has been a friend of mine who said, "Holy crap, Cassie is a BALLER!" The worst was someone who implied that I must have had mommy or daddy buy it for me because there's no way I could afford it on my own. I'll have you know I've behaved many years financially and finally just decided to live it up a little. I'm only young once.

Previous to buying her I read A LOT of the threads in this forum...so thanks everyone for helping me know what issues to take a look at before I bought her. Whether you knew it or not, you guys helped A LOT.

Here's a few pics of her (and me by proxy). They aren't very good quality because I wanted to spend more time driving and less time taking pictures...can you blame me?

Old 05-13-2006, 06:13 PM
clifforza
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Congratulations Cassandra! Enjoy. My wife loves hers. I'm just glad she lets me drive it once in a while.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:56 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Congratulations Cassandra, now you need to come to an autocross and really get to know the car!
Old 05-13-2006, 07:36 PM
986 Girl
5th Gear

Finished my first autocross with it about two hours ago Save for the sudden hail storm that struck up at the very end, everything went smooth. I got tons of compliments on the car, and got some decent times with her. As for right now, I need to go double check the car to make sure there wasn't any damage from the nickle sized hail ***** that we got for about 10 minutes...thank goodness for insurance.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:42 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 986 Girl
Finished my first autocross with it about two hours ago Save for the sudden hail storm that struck up at the very end, everything went smooth. I got tons of compliments on the car, and got some decent times with her. As for right now, I need to go double check the car to make sure there wasn't any damage from the nickle sized hail ***** that we got for about 10 minutes...thank goodness for insurance.
Thats great! what AutoX did you do? PCA region?
I am in the NY/NJ area and was looking for an event to go to today.

Great color combo, 23 eh? I did not get my first Porsche atill age 29
Old 05-13-2006, 07:43 PM
Gumbo
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats. I hate it when people think that because you're young. I bought mine when I was 23, and I got that at my office at the time. There's nothing wrong with being successful, and used these cars are an excellent value (most I worked with thought I paid 2x what I did), I couldn't have seen myself go any other way. Have fun, you'll love that car.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:46 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Excellent choice. Great color.

My brother drove through a hail storm on the drive home from buying the car!!! But the car was just fine. Of course, the hail was more pea sized. I've been through two or three hail storms in my Boxsters. All came out ok. For "hairdresser" cars, these things are pretty tough!

First suggested cosmetic mod: Clear lenses all around. That car would look fantastic with 'em!

Old 05-13-2006, 10:54 PM
986 Girl
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
Thats great! what AutoX did you do? PCA region?
I am in the NY/NJ area and was looking for an event to go to today.

Great color combo, 23 eh? I did not get my first Porsche atill age 29
The autocross was hosted by the Finger Lakes Region SCCA. They actually do most of our local events here in Rochester, NY.

Originally Posted by gumbo
There's nothing wrong with being successful, and used these cars are an excellent value (most I worked with thought I paid 2x what I did), I couldn't have seen myself go any other way.
I was originally interested in picking up one of the new Saturn Sky Redline's (when it came out), but after test driving the regular version I realized it had no ***** :/ Anyway, the Redline would have ran me about 10k more than what I got my Boxster for. Of course...I'm not telling all my friends that If they want to think I paid more, I wont burst their bubble.

Originally Posted by Doug&Julie
First suggested cosmetic mod: Clear lenses all around. That car would look fantastic with 'em!
Absolutely. I've already bought my first "mod," a new shift **** because I have smallish hands, and the stock on irritates my palm. Haven't installed it yet because I realized that the boot is attached to the stock ****, so I'm assuming I need to buy a whole new boot as well.

Immediately after that I will be replacing all the amber lights. I think the car looks great as it is, but I would much more prefer the clear look. Thanks for the suggestion though!
Old 05-14-2006, 11:40 AM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck. Short sleeves and the top isn't down?
Old 05-15-2006, 03:25 PM
986 Girl
5th Gear

Originally Posted by designman
Good luck. Short sleeves and the top isn't down?
I put it down once I was ready to drive They had JUST handed the keys over to me when I took the pictures.

Speaking of which, here's a few more from yesterday's autocross:

(the tape on the back of the car says "For Mom", since I it was Mothers Day. I dedicated all my runs to her as her present...she got a kick out of that)

Old 05-15-2006, 03:39 PM
First986NJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the club Cassandra. You'll love the Boxie..........
Old 05-15-2006, 04:17 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats Cassie Thanks for letting me take the two runs in it.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:59 PM
986 Girl
5th Gear

Originally Posted by MPD47
Congrats Cassie Thanks for letting me take the two runs in it.
Anytime Mike, I trust her with you completely. It was also nice to see what sort of times I will be able to run her at with more experience!
Old 05-16-2006, 03:40 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Congratz Cassandra,, enjoy the car!!

Quick Reply: Newest PCA Member