Sponsored by:

replacing battery on boxster

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 02:03 AM
cmh
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question replacing battery on boxster

Sorry if this post has been put up before, I couldn't find specific answers for what I was looking for.

I have an '02 Boxster S with the original battery. I want to replace it and was told by the dealership they want $150 labor in addition to the part. The gave me a line about having to reprogram some "things" on the car after the battery was replaced. Seemed a little odd to me, and they couldn't clarify when I asked.

Is this for real, or can I just pop in a new battery myself at the house?

Thanks for the help.

Cory
Old 02-24-2006, 03:20 AM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Yah. Reprogram. Right. You have to put in the radio code and set the clock. I've had my battery disconnected so many times, I have my radio code memorized. Where are you located?
Old 02-24-2006, 09:48 AM
goldsbar
8th Gear

Hah! That's a good one. A really good one. What's their labor rate, $500/hr??? In a recent thread I posted, I was having trouble starting my car - turned out to be the battery. I just started it last night with a Subaru Forrester battery (doesn't come close to fitting, btw).
Old 02-24-2006, 10:33 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Give me $149 and I'll reprogram it for you.

You also should run the windows up and down a few times to reset the limit stops.

What stealer is this?

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2950
Old 02-24-2006, 10:34 AM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

Go to Walmart and pick up an Everstart (made by Exide so it's a top notch battery) with the same cold cranking amps and same size base and height and you will be golden for several years at about $50. As mentioned before, you just need the radio code.

Edit: I forgot to mention the ventilation tube. You need to buy a battery with the connection for the ventilation tube that is used in the Boxster.

The only time a dealer has to do anything when the battery is disconnected is if you disconnect the battery and pull one of the seats out before waiting 30 minutes. Then you get the airbag light and it won't go off without the dealer plugging it in to his computer.

Last edited by deliriousga; 03-29-2006 at 12:26 AM.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:20 AM
cmh
2nd Gear

I figured that to be the case. I am in the Los Angeles area, guess I will just go pick one up myself. They wasnted $130 for the battery and $150 labor, or vice versa...but you get the point.

Thanks for all the input. If I do reset need to reset the window limits, how is that done? Also I read on a couple other posts about turning the key on but not starting the car to set the fuel mixture, or something to that nature???

Once again, thanks for patience with me, I am usually a diy type of guy, just new to this car...Just got it about a month ago.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:29 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

To set window limits, just power them all the way down, then all the way back up.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:54 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The turn the ignition on for X seconds without starting the car, then turning it off, really does not need to be done. Our local group has never done it after a battery has been reconnected and I have never seen a mechanic do it. I forget the purpose of doing this without looking it up. I think it is to set the e-gas.

But I can do it for you for $148.....
Old 02-24-2006, 10:26 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

In the future get yourself a small 12v, make an adaptor for the cigarrette lighter or jumpers to the battery terminals. Connect it before you remove the other battery. Saves a lot of time.
Old 02-25-2006, 01:58 AM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by arenared
To set window limits, just power them all the way down, then all the way back up.
I'm not positive, but I think you have to do that before starting the engine by putting the key in the on position.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:52 AM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are being cool you can use jump leads to connect the new battery in parallel to the old one and then swap out the old one.

This means the car never knows that the battery has been changed and nothing needs to be reset.

I won't speculate how many Porsche centres do this and still charge you 150$.

P.S. to reset the power windows put them up as far as they go and then press the up switch again to store the position in the memory.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:48 PM
Ray H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cmh
I figured that to be the case. I am in the Los Angeles area, guess I will just go pick one up myself. They wasnted $130 for the battery and $150 labor, or vice versa...but you get the point.

Thanks for all the input. If I do reset need to reset the window limits, how is that done? Also I read on a couple other posts about turning the key on but not starting the car to set the fuel mixture, or something to that nature???

Once again, thanks for patience with me, I am usually a diy type of guy, just new to this car...Just got it about a month ago.
I guessed you were in the L.A. area. We have some of the absolute worse Porsche dealers Was it Rusnak in Pasadena? They should be avoided completely.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:38 AM
PaulStewart
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a 2001 and every time I've put it into storage, I've pulled the negative cable.

Months later, I've just hooked up the cable, started the car, punched in the radio code, and driven the car home. 4 or 5 times at least....

Quick Reply: replacing battery on boxster