Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum-67/)
-   -   993 owners descriminate? (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/245559-993-owners-descriminate.html)

blinkwatt 12-31-2005 06:56 AM

993 owners discriminate?

Is it me or does it seem that 993 owners hate Boxster owners? The only person I have meet who has a 993 and likes a Boxster and doesnt bash it is the man who I bought my Boxster from. Many bash it but dont realize Porsche did not make to be the ultimate sport car,that is what RUF is for. Porsche made it to be FUN with some performance on the side. Now back to the main point,I gave a thumbs up to a 993 owner today and he looked back and smirked and looked the other way. This isnt the first time a 993 owner has neglected to even acknowledge me. Drivers of older 911s tend to recognize my Boxster and some even stare as I stare at their car. Anyone else ever expierence this from a 993 owner?

mickf 12-31-2005 09:52 AM

I doubt there's anything particularly different about 993 owners vs. others. It's a natural law that within any given population there exists a subset of good folks and a subset of a$$holes.

Be a good folk and keep greeting! Maybe if enough of us keep it up it will become contagious again like way back when when every sports car driver waved, honked or flashed every other sports car driver -- regardless of the make of the car.

LuisGT3 12-31-2005 01:42 PM

I hate Boxters. ;)

Ray S 12-31-2005 01:59 PM

993 owners are like any other Porsche owners (Boxsters included)........there are good and bad....

gordo993 12-31-2005 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Is it me or does it seem that 993 owners hate Boxster owners? The only person I have meet who has a 993 and likes a Boxster and doesnt bash it is the man who I bought my Boxster from. Many bash it but dont realize Porsche did not make to be the ultimate sport car,that is what RUF is for. Porsche made it to be FUN with some performance on the side. Now back to the main point,I gave a thumbs up to a 993 owner today and he looked back and smirked and looked the other way. This isnt the first time a 993 owner has neglected to even acknowledge me. Drivers of older 911s tend to recognize my Boxster and some even stare as I stare at their car. Anyone else ever expierence this from a 993 owner?

I can't get ANY other Porsche owners to wave back to me - regardless of what they are driving!! That's alright, I'll keep waving!!

rbennett 12-31-2005 06:01 PM

Where I live, Population 600K, I bet I only see another Porsche once a month!!

We always wave to each other. ;)

Toothzilla 12-31-2005 07:36 PM

rbennett, when I make it down there, I'll give you a wave! There's a few porsche's in my town, 75k, some wave, some don't. Boxster and Cayenne owner's tend to wave the least here.

Euromagination 01-02-2006 01:39 AM

If it's any consolation... I love Boxsters. Would own one if I didn't need AWD in my daily driver!

chris walrod 01-02-2006 06:46 PM

I am a 993 owner who really enjoys driving my wifes Boxster. It is a great car and Porsche did a great job with it, me thinks..

And I wave at any Porsche driver:)

rbennett 01-02-2006 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Toothzilla
rbennett, when I make it down there, I'll give you a wave! There's a few porsche's in my town, 75k, some wave, some don't. Boxster and Cayenne owner's tend to wave the least here.

Toothzilla, ya getting alot-O-rain right now?? Jan2, I feel like Forrest Gump when he said "It sarted rain-un won day, and it just never stopped for 3 muuunths"

Were flat here in Fresno, so the only place is to go up.

saphriel 01-02-2006 11:28 PM

I could never hate Boxsters. I used to drive one, and a 928, before getting my 993. I cherished each of them dearly.

Hating on Boxsters would be like trying to kick my own arse!

Jay Laifman 01-03-2006 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by rbennett
Where I live, Population 600K, I bet I only see another Porsche once a month!!

We always wave to each other. ;)

Well, that may be the difference these days. I can't drive 5 miles without seeing a Carrera - even more than Boxsters. It might be even shorter than that. You get kind of jaded. Here I am driving around in a top notch Boxster S with lots of neat options, and I feel like I'm driving a hopped up Bug. Well, not really, but, it does sort of diminish the desire to flash another car.

Then I was in Sacramento last year with my daughter's class on a field trip, not thinking that the mass of Porsches would be any different. In two days of travelling on a bus and watching the streets, I saw ONE Porsche, not just one Boxster or anything, ONE Porsche - a mid/late 80's 911. (Ironically, my '73 came from a barn in Sacramento in '88).

So, I guess it's all what surrounds you and the general attitude towards them.

jrok 01-04-2006 07:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You can't lump ALL 993 owners as Boxster haters. Some 993 owners even have such an appreciation for Boxsters that they choose them as daily drivers. You just keep running across the bad apples.
--> jrok
'96 993 C2 Cab
'05 987 Boxster S

blinkwatt 01-05-2006 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jay Laifman
Well, that may be the difference these days. I can't drive 5 miles without seeing a Carrera - even more than Boxsters. It might be even shorter than that. You get kind of jaded. Here I am driving around in a top notch Boxster S with lots of neat options, and I feel like I'm driving a hopped up Bug. Well, not really, but, it does sort of diminish the desire to flash another car.

Then I was in Sacramento last year with my daughter's class on a field trip, not thinking that the mass of Porsches would be any different. In two days of travelling on a bus and watching the streets, I saw ONE Porsche, not just one Boxster or anything, ONE Porsche - a mid/late 80's 911. (Ironically, my '73 came from a barn in Sacramento in '88).

So, I guess it's all what surrounds you and the general attitude towards them.

Funny thing,I live in Sacramento. If Iam lucky I will see a Boxster a week, and maybe 2 996s in the wild a month. After all this debate I ran into a Guards Red 993 Cabriolet owner who gave me the head nod at a intersection and let me go first. I felt it was only right to keep my eyes on his car and not look at where I was driving. Oh hey by the way,was that 911 Gaurds Red with Fuchs Wheels?

Jay Laifman 01-05-2006 12:35 PM

Well, actually, yes, it was a Guards Red 911 with Fuchs!

Maybe all those Sacramento Porsches are being stored in barns like mine was!