Sponsored by:

Brake Lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 11:39 AM
shalong
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Lights not working

On my '01 Boxster I recently replaced a burned out brake bulb on the passenger side. When I reassembled the light unit and tested braking, I got nothing from all 3 brake lights (even the one's I didn't fool around with). Turn signal lights and all others work normally.
I did notice that as I press the brakes, there is a quick flash from from the lights as my foot is going down, but it goes away as the pedal bottoms out.
Could I have messed up something so bad when I replaced the bulb? Could this be the brake switch on the pedal? If so, how can I remove and test?
Thanks for your help!!!
Old 12-15-2005, 12:52 AM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

Check your fuses and make sure one isn't loose or burned out. If they are ok, try replacing your new bulb with another new one and make sure it's the right size (watts) and plugged in correctly. Your new bulb may have a short in it. If you have a multi-meter, you can check the brake light connectors for voltage to see if it's in the line or the bulb.

If all else fails, check where the wires connect to the brake pedal and see if one is loose and test for voltage. If you get voltage there, but not at the brake light, then there's a break/short in your line somewhere.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:42 AM
shalong
4th Gear

Update:
After checking the fuses and visually inspecting the wiring, I focused on the brake pedal switch. It can be removed by twisting 90 degrees and pulling out towards the driver's seat. From there, the connecter can be unclipped. Now that I had it out, I could tell that it was worn out. A quick stop to the dealership for a replacement switch (covered under the factory pre-owned warrantee) and I was out.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:41 PM
alikhan78
5th Gear

I believe the same thing has happened on my Boxster. When the brake is pressed fully I don't see the lights turn on. Upon releasing the pedal I see the lights flash. When the pedal is pressed half way the lights work fine. I checked the fuses and the bulbs and couldn't see a problem with either, I ordered a brake pedal switch today and hopefully should be able to fix it myself. From the sounds of shalongs comment, it doesn't sound like the task was too difficult.

Quick Reply: Brake Lights not working