Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm curious about something.

Old 09-16-2005, 03:42 PM
m21sniper
Banned

Comparing a desire to be reciprocated when being friendly with other passing p-car owners via a wave to nazism is, well........an all time stretch.

This is simple courtesy we're talking here. There is nothing in the constitution of the US or any of it's states preventing citizens of our republic from acknowledging one another with a simple wave.

Certainly we all have the right to not wave, to be rude, to be a jackass. But to stand up for that right wrt the issue of waving to a fellow porschephile is to me, well........peculiar.

What's the big deal here? See a porsche, wave. You've spent more time and effort defending the right to not wave than you'd have spent if you waved at the next 1000 p-cars you see.

LOL....

Last edited by m21sniper; 09-16-2005 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:37 PM
James-man
Super User

Sorry - not everyone is familiar with the Jerry Seinfeld episode where the chef of a soup counter determines who gets to purchase his culinary delights and who doesn't. His nickname on the show was the "Soup ****". Not trying to stretch here. Honest!

Mr. Sniper, you are right that it is an offense to common courtesy to be rude.

If you lived in one of those unbelievably rich areas like Silicon Valley, your hand would get pretty tired waving all of the time and a 5 speed would become difficult to drive.
||
||

((
))
((
...whoa!

Just trying to point out that the waving stuff isn't a universal rule. I prefer the passing lights flash myself when 2 Porsches are approach each other from opposite directions. It keeps the driver's hands near the wheel too. If the other driver doesn't flash or wave, it is not a rub the wrong way, it just shows that they are not as sophisticated as I am.

Anyhow, I agree with you more than you think.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:42 PM
m21sniper
Banned

LOL, nah, i had the distinct advantadge that you were playing the role of the devil's advocate counselor.

You do it well....Hehehehe.

I do the light flash too(i love the way the fogs and headlights alternate on a 928 when you're flashing btw, super cool).
Old 09-16-2005, 06:18 PM
Irishdriver
User

Hey guys,

How can you tell the difference between an boxster and a 996 approaching ???

And as for calling the Cayenne a Towrag - next you'll be telling me the 924/944 series is only a Volkswagen Audi coupe.......and the 914 is just a VW......and the 356 is just a beetle........and ......and....

Can I still wave to Porsche tractors and Porsche Bikes?
Old 09-16-2005, 07:02 PM
m21sniper
Banned

The Towrag(i like that btw)/Cayenne is about as VW as you can get(right down to the VW V-6 in the non S models).

It is a disgrace that it wears the Porsche hood crest. In fact it's hard to think of a MORE UNporsche vehicle than the Cayenne.

To anyone that's fond of the 'Porsche Cayenne' i'd suggest buying a Toureg for half the price and swapping the badges. It would be just as "Porsche" as any non S cayenne is...which is not just sad, but disgusting IMO.
(You asked, lol)

The 924(POS that it is) is not a Porsche either, though the 931 is totally Porsche(complete drivetrain of the 944 turbo). The 914, i don't even know enough about them to opine. I've never even seen one in person, nor have i read very much about them.

Porsche makes bikes?
Old 09-17-2005, 02:51 PM
mjw930
User

Originally Posted by m21sniper
The Towrag(i like that btw)/Cayenne is about as VW as you can get(right down to the VW V-6 in the non S models).

It is a disgrace that it wears the Porsche hood crest. In fact it's hard to think of a MORE UNporsche vehicle than the Cayenne.

To anyone that's fond of the 'Porsche Cayenne' i'd suggest buying a Toureg for half the price and swapping the badges. It would be just as "Porsche" as any non S cayenne is...which is not just sad, but disgusting IMO.
(You asked, lol)

The 924(POS that it is) is not a Porsche either, though the 931 is totally Porsche(complete drivetrain of the 944 turbo). The 914, i don't even know enough about them to opine. I've never even seen one in person, nor have i read very much about them.

Porsche makes bikes?

Is there anyone else you could care to insult while you're at it........

If you think for one minute that Porsche or any other manufacturer can stand alone in this day and age without some mutual development and joint ventures then you are living in your own little dream world. Porsche would never have survived the 80's and early 90's to be in the position to design and build your Boxster had they not gone outside for a little help.

Sorry for the rant but narrow minded fools always seem to bring the worst out of me.
Old 09-17-2005, 04:56 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by m21sniper

(You asked, lol)

Porsche makes bikes?
As far as the 914 goes, if you haven't driven one, not knock it. I know the 6 cylinder engines were pure Porsche and the 914 engines may have been based on VW engines but the design and engineering was all PORSCHE and in any vehicle, that's all that matters.

I've driven a Cayenne S as a loaner car and while you wouldn't confuse it with a Boxster or 911, it sure drives nice for an SUV! I have a Nissan SUV. The only reason I wouldn't buy a Cayenne would be to conserve my money for my fun vehicle which right now is a Boxster 550 Anniv. model.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:14 AM
Irishdriver
User

I have to admit your definition of pure bloodline is a bit hard.

The 924 design was paid for by Audi as a consultancy engineering service from Porschce and when they decided not to go ahead with the project Porsche did it themselves. So the car was designed by Porsche and built by Porsche.

The Cayenne was only practical is design costs were shared and maybe you should view the Towrag as the best engineered VW rather than thinking the Cayenne is not a real Porsche. I have driven a Cayenne and it is bloody good. (I bought the big Volvo 'cos Porsche don't do a diesel yet)

Today, you can expect is that Porsche means quality engineering and construction in whatever they do. I have a Porshce Sled and it is the fastest thing down the hill in the snow. It is a true Porsche even if it doesn't have an aircooled engine.

Porsche's long term survival depends on having products that appeeal to many different people. If they just concentrate on the die-hard petrol heads like us they will be wiped out by the next oil price crisis.

If the new Porsche diversification into SUVs and familycars means the 911, Boxster and Gayman can continue then I'm happy - as long as each different model is top of its class too !!!

BTW Yes Porsche do make Bikes - and they are very good except for the carbon frame racing bike which is too rigid for a bike !!!
Old 09-18-2005, 10:59 PM
James-man
Super User

Originally Posted by Irishdriver
Hey guys,

How can you tell the difference between an boxster and a 996 approaching ???
This may give away the fact that I am not very sophisticated with Porsche identification.

I have a very hard time telling the difference between the two. Particularly the cabriolets. In many cases, all I know is it was a nice, shiny Porsche that went by.

Some people can't chew gum and walk at the same time, I just might have a problem identifying a vehicle and waving at the same time.

Can you guys grant me a variance such that a confused look on my face counts as a wave?

Peace!
Old 09-19-2005, 12:23 AM
m21sniper
Banned

Mjw930- "Is there anyone else you could care to insult while you're at it........"

Sure, ask my opinion as the poster that elicited my response did about a topic you'd like my views on. I'll always give my honest opinion.

"If you think for one minute that Porsche or any other manufacturer can stand alone in this day and age without some mutual development and joint ventures then you are living in your own little dream world."

Yeah, OK Mr. Iacocca. Tell that to Ferrari.

Oh...and Porsche has been the most profitable marque for several years now, even before the pig that is the cayenne reared it's ugly head upon the world.

"Porsche would never have survived the 80's and early 90's to be in the position to design and build your Boxster had they not gone outside for a little help."

I don't have a boxster. Attention to detail, the giveaway is in my Avatar.

"Sorry for the rant but narrow minded fools always seem to bring the worst out of me."

It is not narrow minded to simply state fact. The fact is that the Cayenne is not a porsche design, and that beyond the badging, there's nothing Porsche about it.

You defending it as being a Porsche merely demonstrates that you are a blinder wearing fool.

The Cayenne is a VW(non S). Fact. Not opinion, not subject to interpretation, fact. VW chassis, VW engine, VW drivetrain....VW.

Not only is the Cayenne not a porsche, but it is a violation of everything a Porsche has ever been identified with.

And as far as SUVs go, it's no more than mediocre, especially when it's MSRP is a factor in the equation.

Finally, in no post did i ever knock a 914. I merely stated that i know next to nothing about them, and i've never once seen one on the road.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:29 AM
m21sniper
Banned

"The 924 design was paid for by Audi as a consultancy engineering service from Porschce and when they decided not to go ahead with the project Porsche did it themselves. So the car was designed by Porsche and built by Porsche."

Designed by Porsche to somebody else's specifications.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:04 PM
deliriousga
User

Originally Posted by MelissaInNJ
"All i know is that the next boxster owner that waves at me will be the first boxster owner that waves at me."

I did notice that Boxster owners are definitely a bit snotty.

I am in the Philly area too...so we can at least wave at each other.

Melissa
The majority of Boxster drivers are women or are just driving a cool car and not Porsche enthusiasts. Most women are not like Melissa and they are not interested in all aspects of their Porsche, the company that made it or the community. My wife loves driving her Boxster and thinks it's a wonderful car, but has never waved to any other Porsche because she doesn't participate in the "community" aspect of the Porsche. I get the same thing when I'm in the 928 with no Boxsters or 996/997 drivers waving simply because they don't know the 928 is a Porsche.

M21: If you run into a Boxster owner who has the attitude of "the 928 is a lesser Porsche", they'll get over it as you fly by and and the "P O R S C H E" on your rear bumper fades in their futile attempt to catch up.

Just wave and enjoy the experience of being a Porsche owner. It's great to see the other various P-cars on the road and acknowledge them. You might make somebody's day. Just recognize most of the non-wavers don't even know you're in a Porsche or don't know about the community of it. Keep on waving and they'll get it some day.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:25 PM
m21sniper
Banned

deli- M21: If you run into a Boxster owner who has the attitude of "the 928 is a lesser Porsche", they'll get over it as you fly by and and the "P O R S C H E" on your rear bumper fades in their futile attempt to catch up.

Heh, that i can do nooooo problem.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:55 PM
dcmelik
User

I have both a 928 and a Boxster and a BMW. I'm the one with the complex, thus my purchases. All kidding aside, I think people are paying less attention to the road and more attention to their Blackberries, cell phones, nav systems, and the next item on their agenda.

I routinely wave at all Porsches. The wave is less likely from BMW to BMW. Those folks are oblivious. Some newer Porsche owners, as is always the case, don't buy the car because they are want to be a member of the "community." They buy it for prestige and probably have no idea that there is such a thing as a wave. I don't think this is a new phenom. The first day I picked up my 928, I waved at a Boxster owner, a woman by chance only, and she looked at me like she was trying to figure out if she knew me, and then quickly looked away as if to say, "you can't possibly know me."

I move out of the lane when I see a 928 and fling my arm out the window. It all depends on the person.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:41 PM
Larry Harris
Addict
Rennlist Member

You can always tell the difference between a porcupine and a Porsche driver. With the porcupine the ****** are on the outside

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: