Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm curious about something.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 11:34 AM
MelissaInNJ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I am in the Boxster I peace sign (works better than a wave) at any Porsche I see...except Cayennes...can't bring myself to flash the peace sign at them.

MElissa
Old 09-15-2005, 11:43 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by m21sniper
OK, that's about what i figured.

It's a complex. Sorry to hear about that. I like boxsters fine, and i wave to all Porsche owners. Everyone but Boxster owners routinely waves back.

If you see me, please wave back.

I always wave at all Porsche drivers except sometimes I miss a Cayenne or 2. I also notice a lot of Porsche drivers don't even look.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:53 AM
MelissaInNJ
Instructor

"All i know is that the next boxster owner that waves at me will be the first boxster owner that waves at me."

I did notice that Boxster owners are definitely a bit snotty.

I am in the Philly area too...so we can at least wave at each other.

Melissa
Old 09-15-2005, 01:19 PM
number9ine
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Living in the Bay Area, it seems P-cars are a dime-a-dozen. While I find it special to drive my S, I'm likely to bump into half a dozen (sometimes each!) Boxsters, 911's, TTs, Cayennes, 944's and 968's on my morning commute. None of them wave. Even driving down Rt. 1 for fun, the waves are sporadic. It may not be dying elsewhere, but waving sure is on life support in these parts.

Perhaps the cars have gotten so fast, our "wave reaction time" is outmatched by our average speed?
Old 09-15-2005, 01:47 PM
m21sniper
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with you guys on the Cayennes. I don't wave to drivers of re-badged VW Touregs either. Hehehehehe...
Old 09-15-2005, 01:49 PM
m21sniper
Banned

Melissa- "I am in the Philly area too...so we can at least wave at each other."

I'll keep my eyes peeled for your sweet little dark red rocket.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:50 PM
James-man
Race Car

Not all Porsche drivers are enthusiasts.
For those that are not, they may not be looking, and then may be caught off guard when someone does wave to them. Their first thought may be, "um, do I know that guy...", not, "hey, I recognize that kind of car, it is another Porsche and we are bretheren."

Flashing passing lights is what I understood as the "Hi" signal between Porsches. But, ya gotta consider that this or any waving activity is more likely to occur during recreational driving out on a more remote road than in the city. When commuting, the car and the driver are in "transportation mode".

Besides this, I have yet to wave at anyone that has the same shirt as me, same color hair, or anything like that. To do so with cars would require that something be special about them. Rare, unique, or as mentioned above, driven by an enthusiast.

Lack of waving could be a lack of enthusiasm or right driver in the wrong context. And let me pre-empt the next wave with a
Old 09-15-2005, 02:54 PM
James-man
Race Car

Originally Posted by number9ine
Living in the Bay Area, it seems P-cars are a dime-a-dozen.
We have to adjust for cost of living out there in Cali. P-cars are buck-a-thousand there.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:40 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

In the south, outside the large cities, all males who appears to be in the same age, socio economic range wave at each other, or rather nod. If you don't nod back, you risk being ostersized by the locals. All Pcars wave or stop and talk in the middle of the road if they have time. In the last 30 years I've been transferred from E Tn to Ft Lauderdale, Bham, AL, Atl, Ga, W NC, back to E TN, and now back to Atl. It's amazing how much difference there is depending on population, even when you're less than 100 miles away from a metro area. When I retire, hopefully not that far off, I will probably go back to one of those rural areas where I can wave and stop in the middle of the road if the urge hits me and a P car happens along.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:11 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by James-man
Not all Porsche drivers are enthusiasts...
I think James has nailed it!
Old 09-15-2005, 10:21 PM
m21sniper
Banned

"I think James has nailed it!"

Well then they are bad P-car owners and should have their fingers run over by a backwards crashing 911 on it's way into the wall.

I mean seriously, why would a non-enthusiast even buy a Porsche at all? I rather think of those as BMW buyers, lol.
Makes no sense to me.

These 'non enthusiasts' simply need some re-education!

But, we can each of us take it upon ourselves to wave at any and all P-car owners so that a long honored and noble tradition does not die.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:45 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by m21sniper
I'm with you guys on the Cayennes. I don't wave to drivers of re-badged VW Touregs either. Hehehehehe...
Pity you feel that way. Do you wave to 914 owners? How about 924 owners? Who decides which Porsche are "worthy" and which are not?

I know plenty of "enthusiast" that have Cayennes as second vehicles. While the Cayenne is not my cup of tea I've driven a few and they are pretty impressive for an SUV.

Do you really want to be one of those drivers that wave to some Porsche's an not others? No "flame" intended......just something to consider.

After all there are some out there that don't think a 986 or a 928 are "real" Porsche's either! (Once again no argument intended.....just something to consider)
Old 09-15-2005, 11:55 PM
m21sniper
Banned

"Pity you feel that way. Do you wave to 914 owners?"

I've never seen one on the road. I would have to guess what my response would be.

"How about 924 owners?"

I havn't seen one of those on the road since the early 90s either. Early 924s are VWs, but the 931s are 'true' porsches.

"Who decides which Porsche are "worthy" and which are not?"

That would be me.

"I know plenty of "enthusiast" that have Cayennes as second vehicles. While the Cayenne is not my cup of tea I've driven a few and they are pretty impressive for an SUV."

A Typhoon is impressive for an SUV.

"After all there are some out there that don't think a 986 or a 928 are "real" Porsche's either!"

Well that's just silly. The 928 is the FIRST ALL PORSCHE production car.

The 968 is also about as Porsche as it comes. Damned nice little P-cars.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:52 AM
James-man
Race Car

Sniper,

There should be no judgement of others on their enthusiasm other than "they are not enlightened".

Bad? I wouldn't consider someone a bad owner unless they didn't perform necessary maintainance. That would be bad... for the car that is.

Car ownership has no obligation to other car owners.

Now if we were to elect you Porsche **** (ala Soup ****) where you get to choose who gets to drive and not, then go ahead and put up your sign "non-enthusiasts NOT served here". No Porsche for you, next!

I will give you this, drivers that do not wave back (if they understand that they are being waved to friendly-like) are impolite, and possibly jerks.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:18 PM
schnell987
Rennlist Member

LOL
James-man, thanks for your insights!

Quick Reply: I'm curious about something.