Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else REALLY not like the front end of the 987/997?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 06:01 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Anyone else REALLY not like the front end of the 987/997?

I posted this thread on the 987 board which maybe wasn't such a good idea as they maybe sensitive about their new VERY expensive car. Mods you can go ahead and delete it (I won't be offended).

DISCLAIMER:
ok this is not a performance chat.

Purely a creative/artisitc/aesthetic debate from a lifelong art/design student who is a fan stylistically of the Ferrari F355, Jag e-type and the new Ford GT.
(please support www.cardesignnews.com)

When I first saw the 987 I was instantly let down. My initial impression was "it looks Japanese now" The trademark amoeba headlights are a tough act to follow and rather than coming up with something new Porsche went retro. Not that I have anything against the ages old round P-car lights, but the past is past.
I was at the dealer yesterday and a older man was picking up a new 997. As the salesman was putting on the front plate I just looked at it thinking"Man something is not right the back end just doesn't fit with the front end". I almost started thinking "New VW Beetle on steroids".

Some think this coparision is out of whack "it's just the headlights that are similar" really?

aside from the headlight assembly itself Look at the placement and spacing of of the headlights.
Both the Beetle and 997/987 have the headlights situated on the extreme outer edge of the fender.
The grills on the Beetle and 997 are both long rectangular and simiar in height.
At least the 987 has large Turbo-like grill opening, its saving grace in my book.
Also look at the placement of the parking lights on the corners of the bumper,
how about the area running below the edge of the hood; its proportional in shape and area to that on the VW beetle.
The hood shape and line on the Beetle and the 987/997 are also very similar elements.

Surely from the back and sides no one could ever confuse the two that much I certainly agree.
But its hard to say that the front of the Beetle and 987/997 are radically different in design.

As I sat in the new 987 I thought "different but not better". For a second I thought am I sitting in the Lexus or world class sports car? Of course the performance reminds me its the latter but the visual experience has me confused. Or perhaps I'm of the school that thinks a pure sports car should look a certain way on the inside. This to me is not that way.

The new GT3 front end I feel is an even bigger disaster and I find it interestining that on the Cayman spy picks they have faked amoeba looking lights via some duck tape or something.
No doubt there must have been some heated debates about going backwards with the "new design direction". But to be honest I think the new 997 and 987 will make our 996 and 986 cars classics.

Well those are my drop in the bucket opinions. I'm just wondering if anyone else was let down in a big way as well.

Last edited by perfectlap; 02-01-2006 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:51 PM
Delesh
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sensitive?
Well, if we purchased the car we must like it right?
I feel like I backed up my arguments without much emotion.
Cars are emotional objects though right (esp. porsches)?
Old 05-06-2005, 10:15 PM
Sonic dB
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A mini-Cooper has round headlights too...guess you can compare the 997 to that too.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:28 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I have 03 986S, 04 GT3, 05 997. I think the 996/986 look more modern and agressive. The 997 is pretty but has a more retro look IMO. The wider hips of 987/997 are nice. Porsche did it mainly because 19" and 20" wheels are in fashion these days. I like the body colored side vents of the 986. The aluminum/gray ones don't look as good IMO. Porsche is probably going to charge extra if you want painted side vents. I'm glad I've got the 986/GT3. My 997 is more of a GT car and daily driver because I've got nav/bose etc. I like the simpler interior layouts of the 986/996/GT3. The boxster/GT3 feel more like sports cars. I missed my 996C2 when I bought the GT3, so I bought the 997. I think the Cayman S will be cool, if they make a no nonsense clubsport version.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:43 AM
tincanman99
Instructor

Dont agree with you about them dropping the ball. I am getting ready to buy and love the way it looks. I liked the previous generation too. Either one works for me.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:50 AM
Turboflyer
Pro

Yep better to only say nice things about the other guys wife. He must either think she is beautiful , or he is stuck with her. Either way you loose. Unless ofcourse he ask then you do the right thing and make him feel good about his choice.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:22 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 987/997 does look more like a Beetle, but the 356 looked like a Bug too.

Of course, the good Dr. Porsche designed the VW Beetle. The building in which it was designed lies smack in the middle of Porsche's Stuttgart/Zuffenhausen facility. It is surrounded by modern construction, but remains untouched. Due to German law it is considered a historical building and cannot be altered! PAG has been forced to build around it instead.

BTW, I like the new front end. I like the 986/996 GT1-inspired "fried egg" headlights too. Vive la difference.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:16 PM
tincanman99
Instructor

I am likin' the way it looks. Reminds me of the old Porsches from the beginning. Actually I like all the open round/ovoid lights. You know its a Porsche. Even today people associate Porsche with VW. My answer is so? Even today VW and Porsche are pals. They have lots of ventures together not least of which is the Cayenne.

Who cares if they are kind of similiar to the original Beetle. Shows the company has heritage and is not afraid to let people know where they came from. Provides continuity and product identification. No offense to the 924/944 crowd but they didn't have the look. The 928 kinda had it but it certainly is not a 911.

Porsche designed the Beetle and lots of fun things like Tiger and Panther tanks. Other companies wish they had the product identification that Porsches have.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:06 AM
J-RAD
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I really like the 997. I'm a fan of the "retro" headlights. The whole thing is executed very well. Appropriately aggressive, not "soft/passive/wimpy", like a couple previous designs.

However, I'm much less a fan of the 987 redo. The way they chose to integrate the blinkers into the front intakes looks like an after thought...not real graceful. I also don't care for the all-in-one teardrop headlight assembly..maybe that will grow on me later though.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:03 AM
Delesh
Instructor

Its actually the foglights which are integrated into the front intakes.
Many cars have the foglights here as they need to be low and at the corners (eg. E46 M3)
The blinkers are integrated into the headlight assembly.

Not that it really makes a difference in styling I guess, but I thought Id let you know anyway
Old 05-12-2005, 12:18 PM
J-RAD
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Delesh
Its actually the foglights which are integrated into the front intakes.
Many cars have the foglights here as they need to be low and at the corners (eg. E46 M3)
The blinkers are integrated into the headlight assembly.

Not that it really makes a difference in styling I guess, but I thought Id let you know anyway
Thanks for the correction. You're right though, it still doesn't change the fact that it's poor styling . Their placement and integration still looks like an afterthought. FWIW, the M3 pulls this off much better the Boxster.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:11 AM
Joe Bernard
6th Gear

I don't really have a problem with the front end of the 987, but I'm not fond of the overall bulkier look. I think it is intended to look more muscular, but I prefer the more femine shape of the 986. And yes, there I go calling my Boxster a chick car again. I think I just like girls!
Old 01-30-2006, 05:11 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never liked the boxster much...but the new one....love it, it looks like a real Porsche now.....about the 997....I am glad that Porsche finally got the round head lights back..I own a '99 996 and remember when they came out (in 97 or 98 in Germany) I hated them.... I still love the 993 over the 996. but can't deal with the interior of the 993.....and I have to sit inside most of the time.
Of course now that I own a 996 I love it and it is the most beautiful car ever made...but I never really liked the headlights much....
Old 01-31-2006, 12:34 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

I guess this is what makes the world go around. And, I'm more than willing to accept everyone's opinion on style as 100% correct. But, I'm also more than willing to express my correct opinion too!

I do like the way the new 987/997 front hoods look and headlights - especially how it looks like earlier 911s and even 356s. On the other hand, I do think the amoeba Boxster headlights are really cool, especially like the GT1. I think if the GT1 face had more public awareness, it would have more acceptance.

But, that said, I do agree on the balance issue. Ironically, even though I like the turbo style bigger front vents that "Perfect Lap" praises, I think it is exactly those vents that add to throwing the balance off. I similarly never liked the non-S front without that middle vent. It just created an odd blank, featureless, impactless spot right there. It really needed that S slot to fill out the picture. And, that's what I find with the new larger turbo-style vents - just too big for the lines there.

And, don't get me started on that '03- front Boxster grill that makes it look like a puckering fish!

In the end, they are all hot cars and you can't see any of that when you are getting the most out of what the car was designed to do - drive. So, I'm just glad to have one of any style. Ok, so I have more than one. :-) But, again, that's what makes the world go around.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:25 AM
autobahnNY
Pro

I do like the way the new 987/997 front hoods look and headlights - especially how it looks like earlier 911s and even 356s. On the other hand, I do think the amoeba Boxster headlights are really cool, especially like the GT1. I think if the GT1 face had more public awareness, it would have more acceptance.
I totally agree.

Quick Reply: Anyone else REALLY not like the front end of the 987/997?