Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanted to Introduce myself

Old 03-22-2005, 10:25 PM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanted to Introduce myself

Just wanted to say hi. My name is Chad, I'm a 20 year old Computer Engineering student at Rose-Hulman Institute of technology. I'm also an Air Force ROTC cadet. My current car is a 1984 Porsche 944 with 83K miles on it. I got it last year and absolutely fell in love with Porsche engineering. I've been posting on the 944 board for a long time now have just started to become interested in Boxsters because I found out that I am most likely going to be stationed at Eglin AFB in FL and decided that instead of getting a truck as a winter driver, I would wait until I get to FL and get a drop top

I have a couple of questions for you guys...

1. I am an autocross adict and was wondering how the Boxster's, both 2.5 and 2.7 base models, are doing in SCCA races since being moved to AS.

2. How reliable are these cars? If I get one, it will be my only car and I won't be able to afford to have it off the road for a long time.

3. The other car that I'm looking at is a Honda S2K. Have any of you driven one of them and if so how would you compare it to you Boxster?

Thanks a lot guys!!

- Chad
Old 03-23-2005, 12:48 AM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

Glad to have you over here Chad. Thank you for serving the greatest nation on Earth!!

Sorry, don't know anything about SCCA standings.

The only problem I've ever had with my Boxster is the other drivers won't get the heck out of the way! Seriously, it's a fantastic automobile. Most of the problems people would have are normal wear and tear to any car and when you see the maintenance schedule you'll love it compared to the 944. The pop-top is fantastic. 12 seconds to open/close. Pretty expensive to maintain unless you do several maintenance items (filters, oil, brakes, etc.) yourself.

Compared to the S2, the Boxster is much quicker, much more comfortable and much less maintenance than the 4 cylinder engine. I can't fit in an S2 width wise (6'-225lbs) without feeling like a sardine. Also, my wife is tall (6'-2") with a 36" inseam and the Boxster is the only convertible that she can fit in without her knees being shoved into the dashboard or her head hitting the roof. Maintenance wise, I believe the S2 has a timing belt that has to be changed where the Boxster does not, and the frequency of regular maintenance is much higher since the smaller engine breaks down oil, belts, etc. at a faster pace.

I love the car and would recommend it to anybody. It would be my favorite if the 928 didn't take off like a rocket.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:48 AM
85percent
Instructor

I've owned a Honda S2k, and now I have a '99 boxster.

from my experience....

Boxster reliability= engine died at 45k miles
S2000 reliability= engine performed like new at 70k miles when I sold it

do not buy a '98 or '99 boxster....otherwise, you may experience engine failure like several other people have...
Old 03-23-2005, 01:57 AM
85percent
Instructor

Originally Posted by deliriousga
Glad to have you over here Chad. Thank you for serving the greatest nation on Earth!!

Compared to the S2, the Boxster is much quicker, much more comfortable and much less maintenance than the 4 cylinder engine. I can't fit in an S2 width wise (6'-225lbs) without feeling like a sardine. Also, my wife is tall (6'-2") with a 36" inseam and the Boxster is the only convertible that she can fit in without her knees being shoved into the dashboard or her head hitting the roof. Maintenance wise, I believe the S2 has a timing belt that has to be changed where the Boxster does not, and the frequency of regular maintenance is much higher since the smaller engine breaks down oil, belts, etc. at a faster pace.
:
no offense but i completely disagree with you besides the room issue. the S2k is much quicker than a boxster, and only slightly faster than the boxster S.. maintenance wise, the S2k ran like a beauty. no issues or problems at all.. Four friends of mine own either an S2k or a Boxster.. we've all raced eachother several times, and everytime it's been the same outcome-- boxster beats out the S2k until 3rd gear. then the S2k pulls about a half car length away at about 50-60, and slowly creeps farther and farther away through the gears... the S2K has a higher top speed (i topped mine out at 158mph), the S2k feels more nimble, comes with a short-shifter, and redlines at 9k rpm (so you can imagine how the VTEC sounds.. the Boxster feels like a more comfortable, smoother ride, and seems to completely take control on turns.. S2k is more of a high-end car, while the Boxster feels more torquey...
Old 03-23-2005, 02:02 AM
autobahnNY
Pro

slightly faster than the boxster S
That's not true.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:11 AM
autobahnNY
Pro

Not that Im a 0-60 guy, but that's not totally correct. They are both in the range of 5.3-5.5(not Porsche figures which are conservative). "S" would tend to be better off the line because it has more torque and a Boxster S will pull on a S2k after 125mph.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:11 AM
85percent
Instructor

Originally Posted by autobahnNY
That's not true.
you sure? I've raced two myself at the track when I had my S2K and their noses finished at my door.. I've read about other races with similar outcomes.. hmm.. maybe I'm just a good driver..
Old 03-23-2005, 02:17 AM
autobahnNY
Pro

I've read about other races with similar outcomes
Maybe you are.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:18 AM
autobahnNY
Pro

maybe I'm just a good driver..
Maybe you are*
Old 03-23-2005, 05:51 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Faster than a 944 S2 not a honda S2000, no doubt a car worth test driving. The Mini is the car I would choose for autocross if I wanted to be competetive. A boxter S would make a good track day car. One of my mechanic friends says the boxter is the most reliable best handling car that porsche has ever made. Toyota like. Porsche did have a few engines come back, though I believe they were all covered under warranty under an exchange program. Would tend to take the edge off your love affair though. Good luck in Florida.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:06 AM
PaulStewart
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

My 01 Boxster routinely sees 70 mph in second gear (rev limiter at 72 mph) so I don't know why anyone racing anything else would shift into third at 50 to 60 MPH.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:29 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My mechanic says only buy a 2000 or newer model, so caveat emptor.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:50 AM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 85percent
from my experience....
Boxster reliability= engine died at 45k miles
do not buy a '98 or '99 boxster....otherwise, you may experience engine failure like several other people have...
Boxster reliability=60K miles and never a problem. Runs and looks like new.
S2000 reliability= engine performed like new at 70k miles when I sold it
you sure? I've raced two myself at the track when I had my S2K and their noses finished at my door.. I've read about other races with similar outcomes.. hmm.. maybe I'm just a good driver..
That's why I only consider the controlled testing where the same driver is in both cars and REAL measuring tools are used to be valid. I could say my Boxster is faster than my 928 because I've taken my wife when we've driven home, but then she shifts the 928 (when pushing it) to 3rd at 50-60 when I would be at 70+ before shifting to 3rd and 100+ before going to 4th in that car. Reverse the drivers and voila...the 928 is suddenly faster.

Either way, if you can't feel your legs from being squished into a cockpit made for a leprechaun then how can you be expected to finish a race after a few hours of being in it. Besides, I don't know about anyone else, but growing up I never dreamed "some day I'm gonna get me a Honda".

Sorry about your loss 85, but as you stated in your other thread, you knew about the problem with the model year you bought before you got it. Please put some perspective to this. I've gotten a flat bottle of Coke, but don't believe every Coke after that will be bad. Yeah, Porsche has dropped the ball with the few months of builds like yours, but 90%+ of us are very happy with our Boxsters and wouldn't trade them for anything.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:54 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

no offense but i completely disagree with you besides the room issue. the S2k is much quicker than a boxster, and only slightly faster than the boxster S.. maintenance wise, the S2k ran like a beauty. no issues or problems at all.. Four friends of mine own either an S2k or a Boxster.. we've all raced eachother several times, and everytime it's been the same outcome-- boxster beats out the S2k until 3rd gear. then the S2k pulls about a half car length away at about 50-60, and slowly creeps farther and farther away through the gears... the S2K has a higher top speed (i topped mine out at 158mph), the S2k feels more nimble, comes with a short-shifter, and redlines at 9k rpm (so you can imagine how the VTEC sounds.. the Boxster feels like a more comfortable, smoother ride, and seems to completely take control on turns.. S2k is more of a high-end car, while the Boxster feels more torquey...
Not sure what "Honda weed" you are smoking but that info is just wrong. Top speed of the S2K is 150 period. You driving an "indicated" 158 does not change this, show me a documented case of an stock S2K running 158. In fact, the Bosxter and Boxster S both have a higher top speeds than an S2000.

Concerning blown engines, you got lucky with your Honda and unlucky with your Porsche. Got to www.s2ki.com and search under #4 Cylinder and you will see what I mean.

As far as performance goes the base Boxster has less HP but more torque. On an autocross course it's a drivers race. The Boxster loses a little in acceleration, but handles better.

On the street, the S2000 is slightly quicker than a 2.5/2.7 Boxster driven at 10/10ths however, it has very little torque and drives like a Civic until you hit the VTEC engagement at 6,000 rpm (I have driven both quite a bit and in daily driving the Boxster feels (and is) faster because it has a much more useable torque). As far as handling goes there just is no comparison. The 986 feels secure and composed, while the S2000 feels nervous and twichy. (again search www.s2ki.com under "snap oversteer" or a like term and you will get the idea). Sound????? Youv'e got to be kidding! At redline the S2000 sounds like a Star Treck Phazer on overload, while the Boxster produces a rich, powerful roar.

The Boxster S is simply a faster car than the S2000. It will out accelerate and handle any stock S2000. With equal drivers on an autocross course the Boxster S will win......period!
Old 03-23-2005, 01:48 PM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

Ray does have a point... I mean I have never driven either car, but the SCCA says that the Boxster S is faster, its in SS while the S2000 is in AS. If you use this same reasoning, the Boxster base would be the same as an S2000 because they are both in AS, now I definately do realize that there is a wide range of speed within a class but still.

I definately like the fact that the boxster has more torque which would make it easier to drive on a daily basis. I know I miss the torque of my 300ZX. I don't like the idea of having to drive a car that close to redline to get its peak performance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wanted to Introduce myself