'05 Boxster/Boxster S questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 12:06 AM
wahoo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 Boxster/Boxster S questions

Hi all,

I've been lurking for a while but rarely post. After many years it looks as if I may be in the market for a boxster. I really love the S but was a little taken a back at the $$ for 40more hp. Does anyone have the Boxster S? What are your thoughts on the S vs. say, a new S4 or M3. Thanks for any input.

Regards.
Old 03-13-2005, 12:37 AM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Talk about comparing apples to oranges to bananas. Two seater convertible vs 4 seater conv vs 4 door AWD. C'mon, man, you gotta be kidding.
Old 03-13-2005, 12:46 AM
wahoo
Track Day

Actually I"m not. Sorry to be so 'novice'. *shrug*. They all have comprable hp and price point. I didn't think I needed to qualify my question. If I had my druthers I'd buy a new Carrera but its not in the cards. I have some money burning a hole in my pocket but the S is a good bit of clink for 'only' 280 hp. I didn't drive it for fear that i'd make a decision based upon my passion for Porsche. That said, did no one on this board make objective decisions regarding a different type of vehicle in the same price point???? sheesh. Seems the old Porsche stereotypes loom large.
Old 03-13-2005, 02:24 AM
arenared
Burning Brakes

I assume that if you're considering the Boxster that 2 seats is OK with you. A Boxster is not as practical a people-hauler as the S4 or M3, and if you have kids, it will be relegated to the commuter or fun car. With that said, there is no comparison between the Boxster and the other 2. The mid-engine platform has a very low polar-moment of inertia and turns on a dime. Imagine comparing a solid steel ball to a dumbell. The Bimmers (IMHO) have wonderful balance, but my friends M3 feels lethargic and heavy compared to my Boxster--and he has coil-overs! The flat-six song is also sweet. If handling is your game, then pick the Boxster. If HP or people-hauling is your game, then I'd go for the M3. Good luck!
Old 03-13-2005, 02:53 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

s4 is not same type of car as boxster, s4 = extremely hvy.
so is e46m3. they have higher straightline speed, but they dont handle like the box.
Old 03-13-2005, 12:00 PM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wahoo
I didn't drive it for fear that i'd make a decision based upon my passion for Porsche. That said, did no one on this board make objective decisions regarding a different type of vehicle in the same price point????

In my situation throw in the cars you mentioned plus the M5. I actually had a deal worked out for an M5 but backed off. Why? I figured out what I really wanted, that is corners, fresh air and a Porsche. Passion is the most important part of the purchase IMO. Just be sure it doesn't wear off after the honeymoon period. You HAVE to drive all of the vehicles that you love. I say go with the one that is highest on the passion meter. These cars make no sense without it.

Old 03-13-2005, 02:44 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Seems the old Porsche stereotypes loom large.
Man, are you really starting off on the wrong foot.

First off, is your only point of reference price? If so, you've got a long road of decision making process ahead of you. Any answer to be given based on your original query will be a shot gun blast to try and cover aas much area as possible. Most of the area may not even pertain to you, and therefore a waste of time.

Be more specific. Rather than expect the people here to make assumptions on your behalf, give us those assumptions instead. You'll get answers more meaningful to you from sincere people eager to help.

Are you looking for a daily driver or a track toy? Does having back seats matter to you? Does having a ragtop appeal to you more than a coupe, or does it not matter? Does a mid-engine layout and it's performance character matter to you? What matters more to you, carving corners or blasting off at the light? Does AWD and 4 season use appeal to you?

In absence of any guidance, you will get miscelaneous ramblings. I've looked at, test driven, and researched not just your 3 cars but others as well in the last 5 months. Ask specific questions, and I'll give you my best specific answers.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:24 PM
Sonic dB
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some of you guys are being harsh to the OP...and displaying a strong sense of arrogance. The guy asked a simple question. If you dont want to respond, dont. If you want to give him advice on how to rephrase the question...why dont you tell him so in a decent and proper manner?
Old 03-13-2005, 07:58 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

I stand chastised, Sonic. The crack about stereotypes got my goat, I suppose.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:32 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

In Paltings defense, it doesnt sound as though this guy really knows what he wants. Asking all the questions Palting did allow us to much easier help this guy out with what he wants.

My opinion here is go for the M3 over the boxster and S4. Though I would take a 997 over any of those in a heartbeat.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:18 AM
MikeN
Three Wheelin'

Actually I"m not. Sorry to be so 'novice'. *shrug*. They all have comprable hp and price point. I didn't think I needed to qualify my question. If I had my druthers I'd buy a new Carrera but its not in the cards. I have some money burning a hole in my pocket but the S is a good bit of clink for 'only' 280 hp. I didn't drive it for fear that i'd make a decision based upon my passion for Porsche. That said, did no one on this board make objective decisions regarding a different type of vehicle in the same price point???? sheesh. Seems the old Porsche stereotypes loom large.
No need to qualify your question with me, you are absolutely correct IMO. If you are looking for a high performance car in the $50 - $60K price range, whether it be a roadster, coupe, or sedan........your choices are spot on.

While the Boxster may offer the last bit of handling finesse, that doesn't mean it automatically get the nod in my book as the other two have much to offer also. Mid-engine architecture means great handling fun, but may not mean squat if you get your butt handed to you in a straight line.

If you haven't driven an M3 lately you might be in for a surprise as all examples built from 12/04 on came with a revised suspension that was once optional in the ZCP Competition Package. About 90% of the understeer is now gone and body lean is vastly reduced. So if you haven't driven one lately, give it another shot. The typical M3 6 speed will run a 4.8 0-60 and a low 13 sec quarter with a good launch.......they are very quick and fun to say the least. Having free maintenance to 50K miles is also a strong selling point.

If you value a brilliant V8 with all-wheel drive and great utility then the Audi S4 is certainly worth a look. While I'm not a huge fan of the new Audi look, there is no denying the S4 has many tangible assets........stability, composure, sound, build quality,........and again free maintenance to 50K.

I'm pretty much a Porsche nut and presently have a deposit in for a new Cayman (Boxster Coupe), but I don't *have* to have a Porsche. In fact if the Cayman doesn't turn out to my expectations, I'll drop the order and get in line for one of the new V8 400HP E90 M3s due out in 2007/08. I have a feeling that 400 snarling v8 ponies may quickly cure any mid-engine needs of mine.
Only time will tell. Good luck with your selection.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:49 PM
wahoo
Track Day

Palting,
sorry for the barb. I should have been more specific. I'm kinda stuck as to what car 'fits' at the moment, hence my question. I'm currently in a '00 328i. I know what BMW is about. The Boxster would be a guilty pleasure. My wife has an '04 V8 Touareg and I've driven the S4 so I kinda know what I'm getting there. The price point of the S is quite steep in simple, as black and white on paper comparison. The kid thing may or may not play into it ( have none..currently..ehehe). I appreciate all comments. Seems it's a decision about primarily vehicle use or not. Will post more when I have a chance. Thanks all for your contributions and sorry for the 'smarmy' retort....was a long work week.

regards,
wahoo
Old 03-14-2005, 04:03 PM
wahoo
Track Day

Originally Posted by MikeN
No need to qualify your question with me, you are absolutely correct IMO. If you are looking for a high performance car in the $50 - $60K price range, whether it be a roadster, coupe, or sedan........your choices are spot on.

While the Boxster may offer the last bit of handling finesse, that doesn't mean it automatically get the nod in my book as the other two have much to offer also. Mid-engine architecture means great handling fun, but may not mean squat if you get your butt handed to you in a straight line.

If you haven't driven an M3 lately you might be in for a surprise as all examples built from 12/04 on came with a revised suspension that was once optional in the ZCP Competition Package. About 90% of the understeer is now gone and body lean is vastly reduced. So if you haven't driven one lately, give it another shot. The typical M3 6 speed will run a 4.8 0-60 and a low 13 sec quarter with a good launch.......they are very quick and fun to say the least. Having free maintenance to 50K miles is also a strong selling point.

If you value a brilliant V8 with all-wheel drive and great utility then the Audi S4 is certainly worth a look. While I'm not a huge fan of the new Audi look, there is no denying the S4 has many tangible assets........stability, composure, sound, build quality,........and again free maintenance to 50K.

I'm pretty much a Porsche nut and presently have a deposit in for a new Cayman (Boxster Coupe), but I don't *have* to have a Porsche. In fact if the Cayman doesn't turn out to my expectations, I'll drop the order and get in line for one of the new V8 400HP E90 M3s due out in 2007/08. I have a feeling that 400 snarling v8 ponies may quickly cure any mid-engine needs of mine.
Only time will tell. Good luck with your selection.
Thanks Mike. Its a fun yet tough decision. I, too, have my eye on the upcoming M3 with the V8. There seems to be a lag in the German hp wars so to speak. The Boxster looks to be a ton of fun but I'm hesitant about the $$, relative to the combination packaging of the other choices. The Cayman would be perfect for me but to much dinero as this point in time. If i could get a 'stripper' Boxster S, with Xenons for, say 55k then I may pull the trigger. The S4 is a total gas hog and the way I drive I'd get 10-11 in town. The irony is that the Porsche is cheaper to insure than the M3. Go figure.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:04 PM
MikeN
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Mike. Its a fun yet tough decision. I, too, have my eye on the upcoming M3 with the V8. There seems to be a lag in the German hp wars so to speak. The Boxster looks to be a ton of fun but I'm hesitant about the $$, relative to the combination packaging of the other choices. The Cayman would be perfect for me but to much dinero as this point in time. If i could get a 'stripper' Boxster S, with Xenons for, say 55k then I may pull the trigger. The S4 is a total gas hog and the way I drive I'd get 10-11 in town. The irony is that the Porsche is cheaper to insure than the M3. Go figure.
Ya, I know what you mean........tough decision.

If the Boxster S really calls to you, you should be able to order a Boxster S with Xenons and another option or two and easily get it for $55K or under. Most people that I have seen are getting around 5% off MSRP on Boxster orders these days.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:40 PM
NoPorscheRightNow
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MikeN
Ya, I know what you mean........tough decision.

If the Boxster S really calls to you, you should be able to order a Boxster S with Xenons and another option or two and easily get it for $55K or under. Most people that I have seen are getting around 5% off MSRP on Boxster orders these days.
Exactly. I was quoted 5% off a month ago. When you consider that PSM and 18s are now standard, Litronics are about the only other "must have" accessory. And honestly, I don't even know why I said that; the standard lights are certainly good enough that if the bi-xenons didn't exist I can't imagine it causing anyone to not buy a Boxster. But once it's out there, well... ya just gotta have it. I predict that in a few more years PCCB will be that way. Sure, the steel brakes are some of the best in the world, but, gee... I'm already spending mucho bucks, will I always regret not getting the ceramic brakes just to save a few clams???

Anyway, a great S could be had for 55 out the door (including tax, prep, etc.) if you didn't add anything but cruise control.

But I must say, stepping up to an all-leather interior might be a great way to capture some of that Audi "presence" without picking up the Audi corpulence.! I wound up last month buying a 986 S 550, GT Silver over Cocoa (guess I need to change my screen name!). The interior so impressed me that I wasn't going to get a 987 (my other choice) without specifying the Cocoa all-leather interior, which can now be had on any 987.

All are great choices. Had a regular A4 before and wouldn't trade my Boxster S for the Audi if it had 600 hp, but there are certainly many who feel differently. If I needed the space, or lived in snow country, the S4 would be on my short list.

And for me, the M3 cab made the 987S look like a screaming bargain, but I only looked at one (MSRP 65k), and I just couldn't justify that kind of dosh for something that most people think is a 325i with fancy wheels.

Matt, Atlanta

Last edited by NoPorscheRightNow; 03-14-2005 at 08:16 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: '05 Boxster/Boxster S questions