Sponsored by:

Bitten by Boxster bug. Questions inside

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 04:53 PM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stig,

I got a set of first generation litronics and fitted them - no problem except I need a seperate control box and a small wiring harness as the litronic bulb has to turn 1.5 degrees between dip and main beam. These lights only have litronic on dip. Main beam is another standard tungsten/halogen bulb.

In Germany you also have to fit the headlamp washers as it is a legal requirement.

If you find a car with litronics fitted from the factory life is simpler.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:26 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

I notice Performance Products sells the litronic kit for pre-2000 Boxsters. These are Genuine kits, but does Porsche include this harness and box for their Tequipment kit?
Old 02-22-2005, 11:11 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Andy, if your used to the power of your 928 S4, I would get the Boxster S. They have similar straight line acceleration and the "S" has room for more power.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:24 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheStig
I notice Performance Products sells the litronic kit for pre-2000 Boxsters. These are Genuine kits, but does Porsche include this harness and box for their Tequipment kit?
The Porsche Litronics Retrofit Kit for the Boxster is the same as the one for pre-facelift 996 (same headlight design). It comes with the Xenon headlights, a control unit (for the beam rotation) and some wires. It should run you around $1,100. I got mine from Brandywine Porsche. It is a very easy DIY installation.

The Porsche Litronic Retrofit Kit is very good -- don't even bother with the "Xenon" bulbs on eBay. The only thing that you don't get with the Litronic Retrofit Kit is the automatic leveling -- that is only available from the factory.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:21 AM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Hey guys I got another question, who has installed the Evolution Motorsports air intake on their car? I was reading the installation PDF on their website and it says you have to loosen the driver side intake manifold. Sounds kinda scary to me since you could cause a vacuum leak. Anyone have to replace any intake manifold gaskets after that? how about the installation, pretty straight forward and an intermediate level of difficulty to install???
Old 02-23-2005, 03:36 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with the boxster, don't bother going after pitiful power gains with expensive random parts.

save up and get a 3.4 or a 3.6, then you will have the porsche that they never made but should have.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:13 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

Pitfall power gains?? Don't knock if you haven't tried it. Andy, yes it is somewhat a difficult job. The hardest part is getting the OEM intake out. After that its some sailing. If you're pretty good with the tools I would go for it. If not, have someone who is capable of the job install if for you.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:14 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

typo- smooth sailing*
Old 02-24-2005, 01:40 AM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

sounds like a Plan Autobahn! I'm just looking for more sound, not any noticeable gains, hence my choice for GHL muffler and EVO Intake. My power hunger will be taken care of with a 993 eventually
Old 02-24-2005, 08:49 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

sounds like a Plan Autobahn! I'm just looking for more sound, not any noticeable gains

Same here. You won't be dissappointed.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:06 AM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

I looked on the Evolution Motorsports website about the intake. They said that you have to 'loosen' the driver side manifold. By unbolting those 6 bolts, they should more or less say remove because you might as well pull it right out? unless there are more vacuumlines attached under the manifold.

What is the average amount of time to install the EVO intake? Reason why I ask so many questions is because I wanna know what I'll be getting myself into later on and I mean that in a good way because I WANT A BOXSTER!!!!
Old 02-25-2005, 12:54 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

I did the last installation 2 1/2 yrs ago (also did it on my 2.5L a couple yrs prior to the S), from what I remember you just unfasten the 6 bolts so you can move the manifold slightly to your right. Yes, there are more vacuum lines attached underneath. When you slide the manifold over, you have just enough room to slide the OEM airbox out. Even then it is a major PITA!!! It can get really frustrating and expect a few scratches and bruises. I've heard a few people just breaking the airbox to remove. Time to install will vary. It all depends how well the removal of the airbox comes along. The first time took me about 5 hrs, second time was around 3 hrs.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:03 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

Let me add this point. In the end its worth it. I can sum up the sound in one word...intoxicating!
Old 02-25-2005, 03:09 PM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

I found an Airetek intake that is about 11 dollars cheaper through Pelican. I haven't heard any bad things about Airetek either. The design is very similar to the EVO intake. Anybody have one of these? In fact the squirrel trap (heat shield around filter) has mounting points the same as the EVO also. Is there really any difference between the two? I also noticed that the EVO intake has a resonator on it still. I'll post some pictures below...
Old 02-25-2005, 03:13 PM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Notice the resonator on the intake pipe that connects to the throttle body:

Here is the Airetek with no resonator:

Quick Reply: Bitten by Boxster bug. Questions inside