Sponsored by:

I'm scared to drive my car

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 06:58 PM
chuckd94
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm scared to drive my car

Hi. I am the proud new owner of a 2000 Boxster S. I bought the car as a second, fun car, but didn't plan on it being so beautiful. I am finding that I am afraid to drive (actually, park) it anywhere. When I go to a store or out for dinner, I find that am terrified that I'm going to get a ding or scrape. I haven't been completley at ease since I bought the car.

Has anyone else had this probem? I sure hope it goes away. I want to enjoy the car without treating it like a trailer queen.
Attached Images  
Old 11-14-2004, 07:20 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its going to get dinged, scraped, bent, sooner or later, there is no getting around it

drive it like you actually own it, not like your taking care of it for someone and don't want them to find out you drove it. just fix it when it breaks, you'll feel better in the long run , less missed opportunities.
Old 11-14-2004, 08:23 PM
dennis a from pa
Instructor

Uh,....It's a car. Dings can be removed. Bumpers can be repainted. Take life and enjoy your car, I do.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:32 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Drive it. Don't save your car for the next owner. Who knows what tomorrow brings.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:50 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

Find a paintlees dent remover and keep their card in your wallet. Despite what others have said, dent park it between the two buckets in front of the drug store. The walk will do you good. The stress of leaving the car in an obvious crap spot isn't worth it. Yes its just a car, but its your car and unless you have several it pretty darn special to those of us who have to stretch the green for the machine.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:28 AM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Learn the Porsche protection parking style.....

Put it on the white line occupying two spaces......People will say porsche drivers can't park but you will get no dents !!!
Old 11-15-2004, 06:58 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone on the 993 board recommended that one should key their car themselves because sooner or later it will happen anyway..
Old 11-15-2004, 08:41 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Irishdriver
Learn the Porsche protection parking style.....

Put it on the white line occupying two spaces......People will say porsche drivers can't park but you will get no dents !!!
NO NO NO NO!!!! That's a sure way to get keyed! Too many people would think you're a snob and too good to share a parking lot with them. ...and then key your car as a final f_ck you.

I do as Turboflyer does...park out away from others whenever possible. But SQUARE in my spot. I don't want to give anyone any excuses to harm my car. You'll find you don't have to park it WAY out in the boonies, just far enough away to discourage the lazy and inconsiderate from parking next to you.

Another note, you'll find the more you drive your car, the more those little (inevitable) imperfections go away. Porsches are about driving them. Believe it or not, your car would make an excellent daily driver. How do I know...? Because mine is!!!

Old 11-15-2004, 09:25 AM
harris
Burning Brakes

this is something that happens....but in the end of the day it is only pieces of metals attached together......

drive it....you will be much more happy this way, because you will get dents and scratches anyway....
Old 11-15-2004, 09:58 AM
Rolla
Advanced

I agree drive the darn thing. all and all it is just a car. If you are not driving it sell it because it is a waste of a good Porsche to have it sit that way.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:43 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Track it!! Couple laps around the track you'll have enough rock chips you wont care anymore
Old 11-15-2004, 02:02 PM
Baron009
Pro

Has anyone else had this probem? I sure hope it goes away. I want to enjoy the car without treating it like a trailer queen.
I was like that for the first few months! It wore off, but I still don't drive my car everywhere. I'm just cautious now, but not paranoid.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:06 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Always park in a "end" spot away from other cars, I can always find one- just have to walk a little farther. I get compliments and "Id park it there as well!" rather than taking up two spaces right in front of a store...ech. No thanks- sure fire way to get a door kicked/fender keyed!
Old 11-15-2004, 07:03 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

And usually if you look you can park with one side next to the grass, wall, etc. so you only are exposed on one side of the vehicle!

But by all means, drive your baby!
Old 11-15-2004, 07:44 PM
Moogle
Race Car

sounds like a case of obsessive compulsive disorder.

ive got a mild case myself.

Quick Reply: I'm scared to drive my car