Porsche Neopyhte - Just put down my deposit on a new Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 05:34 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Porsche Neopyhte - Just put down my deposit on a new Boxster

Howdy all -
I've been hanging around for a few weeks reading all of the informative posts from this great forum. I've always wanted a Porsche and I just put down my deposit here in Colorado for a 2005 Boxster. I'm currently on the list for April 1st delivery. I could have gotten one earlier, but I didn't really want to get one right in the middle of the winter.
Now comes the hard part....deciding if I should get the Boxster S or not. I've got to give the dealer the specs of my order sometime in December.

This will hopefully be just the first of many Porsche's for me in my life, so part of me wants to start out small and just get the standard 240 HP one and have many more years to upgrade. The other side is screaming big brakes, six speeds and 280 HP...

thoughts?

Regards,
Stacey
Old 10-11-2004, 05:46 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Hard choice... 280hp in that configuration must be one sweet ride... I would opt for the S... but that is just me. I think you can't go wrong with either one. The hardest part is the wait!
Old 10-11-2004, 06:19 PM
tommyscanner
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool! Go for the S. BIG difference. I had a regular Boxster & upgraded first chance I got. Besides the perfomance the resale value is much greater. What color?
Old 10-11-2004, 07:27 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tommyscanner
What color?
I'm going with Guards Red with the Sand Beige interior and the 19" Carerra S wheels.
I also read that the six speed transmission is going to be an option on the base boxster. Does the six speed spread out the ratios or just simply provide an extra gear to drop the RPM's on the highway. Like I said....I'm a neophyte.

Regards,
Stacey
Old 10-11-2004, 08:59 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts
Default To S or Not

Go with the S. I currently have an 04 Anniversary Edition which is an S and have also placed a deposit on an 05 S...undecided about the color ... but the extra ponies I think are worth it
Old 10-12-2004, 05:39 AM
GaryN
Instructor

Hi Stacey,

I would without a doubt go for the S for the slightly extra cash, over a std Boxster you get plenty extra "features" that would cost way more if you have to add them at a later stage, not that you probably would. Not to mention the extra 40BHP which is handy!!
On Saturday I went to my local dealer to get details on the new Boxster (Deliver late Nov in the UK) and as I was there..... I took the new Carrera S 997 (355BHP) for a test drive. My GOD!!! That car should be "illegal". When I got back in my Boxster S to go home I could have almost cried!!
I think the new Boxster S is going to be dynamite!! Can’t wait for the dealer to call me for a test drive!!

But, Stacey back to the point... I would advise to go for the S you will not be sorry. If you buy the std you will always think to yourself you should have gone for the S when you had the chance.

Give us an update when you know..
Old 10-12-2004, 11:05 AM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone for your comments. Seems to be pretty unanimous to get the S.
I'll have to go through my sock drawer and see if I can find a few more pennies. Not sure it's gonna happen though. If I do get the S, i might be forced to get the bone stock one. That in itself should be tons of fun.

late
Old 10-12-2004, 12:09 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

No matter which one you get you are most definately gonna want the Sport Chrono option. If you have to give up some power for this option I think you'll find it worthwhile. I drove a 997 with this option over the weekend. I didn't get to test out the 20 degrees of slip angle, but everything else they said about it (throttle response, spring rate, etc) was true so I believe the 20 degree. If your dealer doesn't have a 997 with this option on the lot, I would suggest making the trip to one who does. This is going to be a must have option on my 987 even if it means giving up the S for it.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:17 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

How much do you think the sport chrono option is going to be?
In fact, when will the option pricing for the cars going to be out?

NetManiac - you race your boxster in PCA? that's cool. I was at the SCCA runoffs a few weeks ago in Ohio. Freddy Baker finished 3rd in T2 in his Boxster and 2nd in T1 in his 911. Both were great races.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:18 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just checked the 997 options and Sport Chrono is listed as a $920 option. I would suspect the same option on the 987 will cost right about the same. The best go-fast money you are going to spent on your 987 (in my opinion).

If you are planning to track the car, I would also HIGHLY recommend the PCCB. I couldn't tell if it was the size of the brakes or the PCCB, but the 997 I drove had incredible stopping power. I thought my Boxster was good, but this thing kicked it in the booty big time.

Again, if you are going to track the car and all you can afford is the $50K for a no-option S, I would suggest you consider base 987 with Sport Chrono and PCCB. You'll be cruising by S' without these options without issue.

Yeah, I race my '02 S with PCA. There are not vey many "local" PCA races so I also joined, and am licensed with POC. Although, I haven't run a race with them yet. I just got licensed earlier this year, so I am waaay rookie. But it's a blast. If business goes well, I am hoping to be racing a 987 or 987 Coupe some time in either late '05 or mid '06 (depending on which car I choose).

Tangent/Rant: The first time I tried the 997 configurator was using Mozilla and it wouldn't work. But I just happen to be at a clients site who uses this lame-o M$ crapola. So I tried the configurator in IE just for grins. Well, wadda know, it worked. I love my Porsche, but find it infuriating that the bone-heads at PCNA can't build a freakin website that works in Mozilla/Netscape! Stupid in this day and age to be so completely oblivious to whats on the 'net. Stupid, I tell you. If I didn't love the car so much I would switch brands for that demostrated stupidity alone!
Old 10-12-2004, 04:23 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you are having this debate, go for the S< otherwise you will regret it.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:12 PM
Michael Eblenkamp
2nd Gear

Hi Stacey,
... you concluded already yourself: Go for the "S"!! I also agree that a normal Boxster is already a sweet car, but: 3.2 l in combination with six speed and the increased horsepower as well as the upgraded brakes make it a totally different higher performing car. If you have the chance to test drive both do it, I believe you are going to be disappointed if you don't consider the "S" long term. Be also aware that you might not feel the better "kick" right away, especially by comparison, both engines need to be broken in, sometimes it's hard to get a good comparison, but in my case, now with 9,000 miles in an '03 "S" there is almost no difference, at least subjectively to a 320 HP 911. I have the 18" Carerre wheels, european sport suspension (comfort is still more than acceptable, but definetly a benefit participating the club "driver education events") with 5 mm spacers at all 4 wheels- that car goes around corners, just unbelievable, if you are an ambitious driver with a Boxster "S" in that configuration you could be much faster than an "average" 911 driver - go for it!! I am jelous for the 280 HP vs. my 260HP, congratulations!! Have fun and take care!
Old 10-12-2004, 05:31 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Moogle
if you are having this debate, go for the S< otherwise you will regret it.
I think that Moogle's got a great point. If I'm even debating this then I should be getting the S...so I'll focus my efforts on that.

I just completed my first year of SCCA club racing and had an total blast....so this car will most definitely be tracked.

Definitely can't afford the PCCB. That's an $8000+ option. I'll do some research on the Sport Chrono.

Thanks all...

Stacey
Old 10-14-2004, 12:21 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ELUSIVE
I just completed my first year of SCCA club racing and had an total blast....so this car will most definitely be tracked.
So are you planning to race your 987 or just DE?
Old 10-14-2004, 01:32 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

No, this will just be a fun car.
it will definitely be tracked....but I'm sure that I won't feel like trading paint.

Stacey

Quick Reply: Porsche Neopyhte - Just put down my deposit on a new Boxster