Sponsored by:

Boxster 2000-2001-2002 Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 03:52 PM
bergstsm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Boxster 2000-2001-2002 Comparison

I have a co-worker that came to me with a question, knowing I was a Porsche owner. Sadly, she doesn't want to buy her husband a 928, but she does want to get him a Boxster, slightly used (speaking of which, I think my wife could use a few lessons from this lady )
I don't want to give her any advice, given my lack of experience with the Boxster, so I was hoping to get an objective view of the three model years, and what might make one a better value than another (displacement bump, exhaust, etc...) from a reliable source. Her price range fits any of the three years, but I would imagine she wants the best overall package.

Key Points Are:
Any gotchas (ala the early 89 964 flywheel issue, fixed in later cars)
Key maintenance differences
Any option benefits of newer cars (ala the 86.5 928 suspension upgrades)

Just trying to steer someone in the right direction.

Thanks!

Shawn
Old 08-20-2004, 04:08 PM
craigg
Instructor

Good years to choose from.

All three model years have the same engine and HP - both the standard and the S were unchanged in this regard through this period. The 2003 got the glass rear window but little else. The main issue for these years would be the length of remaining warranty - all had 4 year/50,000 mile - but this is offset in the pricing. The old adage of buy the newest one you can afford is probably wise.

I am not aware of any specific probems to each model year. There were some issues with 97-99 engines and tops but these were pretty much cleared up by 2000. My 2001 has been very good to maintain and is almost at 45,000 miles - warranty and mileage should expire at about the same time.

You will hear about the odd RMS (rear seal) issue but not all cars have had this and even when they do, it seems repairable for 4 hours labor plus a part.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:15 PM
bergstsm
Racer

Craigg,

Would the glass top be a possible retrofit? I think I recall that some of these rear windows would get trashed pretty easily.

Shawn
Old 08-21-2004, 12:04 AM
Turboflyer
Pro

Get one with glass, retro about 7 too 8K.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:38 AM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can probably get the best deals (obviously) on a 2000. I'd look for a pampered, low mileage S.

The 2001/2002 had minor changes, like moving the digital speedo to the left instead of under the tach. (Most preferred it under the tach.)

The upside of the later models, in addition to age, would be warranty. There should be some of the four-year warranty left.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:54 AM
bergstsm
Racer

Thanks fellas,

I grabbed a few of my older Excellence mags to loan to my co-worker, and I will pass on what you have offered.

Shawn
Old 08-22-2004, 09:03 AM
craigg
Instructor

IMHO, the plastic back window issue is a NOT a problem. Mine is original and fine. Some poeple have had them crack when putting them down in cooler weather. Also, some have discolored but these seem to be when the cars is left in the outdoors with the roof up a lot. Automatic car washes are also hell on plastic.

Mine lives in a garage and I avoid top down when the weather is cool. As someone who has owned MANY convertables, I believe it is as hard on the roof fabric as the window to do too much cold weather roof lowerings.

Replacements windows can be had from a boat repair shop in the $500 range and a new aftermarket roof, without installation, is about the same. Speaking as someone who has owned an older Porsche, these are very cheap repair costs. My air cooled 911 Carrera was a fantastic car but when things broke, whew.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:35 AM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have to agree with craigg, he hit it right on the button. The 01/02 Boxsters had very little change and my plastic rear window has given me no problems, no fading, etc. I've had RMS failure but it was quickly fixed and so far hasn't returned. I would get the newest of these models if for the additional length of warranty.
Old 08-22-2004, 01:37 PM
bergstsm
Racer

Thanks for the info on the RMS. I will pass that on to my co-worker to make sure that is addressed in a PPI.

Gratefully,
Shawn

Quick Reply: Boxster 2000-2001-2002 Comparison