Sponsored by:

Awsome boxster for sale

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 07:00 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Hi Paul,

you know, I dont know. Ive driven an auto GTS, and it was just the fact that it was an automatic that kept me from thinking "race car". However, when you tighten any of these cars up , they seem like race cars and certainly, if you fill up the wheel wells with the right tires.
(porsche did under rubber the 928 from the get go).

When you see a car like mine or Mark Andersons, coming around a turn in a pack and all you hear is the 115 dB open pipe exhaust, there is suddenly no doubt, this is one of porsches finest achievements. (especially when you see mine on the road home from the track, stuffed with four racing tires on 9 and 11" rims.

you just cant even come close to beating the bang for the buck of the old porsche station wagon as a race car!

true racers?? id have to say so. My car as it sits today, would have been a solid 10th place in a speed World Challenge race i at laguna seca ,1999. (with only a set of headers and suspension) . How do you think the rest of the field would feel with their '97RSRs, C5vets, mustangs, M3s, would have felt with all their pro support seeing me drive by on the way home, a one man show? no non factory race cars can do this even today (or very very few)! except the ole 928! and certainly no car can do it for less!

budget racer,

MK

Originally posted by dove
Hi Mark Great pic,look its like this the GTS is a great car because it runs a manual gearbox,most 928's are auto and feel like a great big slug wollowing around because of this,its go no track potencial with the auto box to me it just feels like an auto jag, big yank, ETC.Can you really call an auto 928 a true drivers car compared to a manual smaller engined boxster, The 928 auto is a long distance tourer should a Porsche be a grand tourismo or a drivers car?surely in the spirit of Porsche its a drivers car.I recently saw a picture of a line of 550's coming out for a race in the early 60's in Germany that took my breath away the cars were battered the drivers looked so up for it,the 550 may be slow but those guys look so much like true racers.Do you see where I am coming from?
Regards
Paul
Old 07-07-2004, 07:03 PM
Drewster67
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ford GT-40 500Hp
Corvette ZO6 405Hp and ? Trq
Sallen S281 & S351 300-450Hp
Ford Mustang Cobra 4.6 Blown 390Hp
Pontiac GTO 5.7L 350Hp and 350Ft Lbs Trq
Cadillac CTX ?Hp

Dove - right you are regarding we Americans being obsessed with HorsePower. So whats wrong with that?. It's been like that from the beginning and I'm sure if gas wasn't 7.00 per/gallon over there you'd probably have a V8 in your garage as well.

Again - good luck with your sale.

Old 07-07-2004, 07:06 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Give Dean a break. he is also running a 25 year old 928, with a 85 block. That 914, was powered by a 3.2 liter 911 engine. at under 2000lbs and flares from hell, its finally being driven like it should be.
Its a very fast car, and take a look, its hardly a 914. in the pits, the entire body comes off . looks like a nascar underneath.

The (yellow)RSR 3.8 liter powered 2200lb 993 has been giving me fits for years now. we have some good battles, but that 5-600lbs is just tough to over come. the braking and handling of both our cars is pretty close. He is a good driver as well. we even use the same tires!

Mk

Another great pic,is that a 914 ahead of a 928??
Old 07-07-2004, 07:11 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Dont forget the :
fearri 355 350hp
ferarri 360 400hp
BMW M3 PTG 500hp
porsche GT3 cup car 400hp
Porsche GT3RS 425 to 450hp

its all about hp to weight and absolute weight.

by the way, notice who can win Lemans? remember seeing the Vet on the poduim?

They all got power!! doesnt matter if its a 7 liter vet , 8.3 liter viper or a 3.6 liter porsche GT3RS or Turbo.

anyone HUNG up on speed wants HP to weight. Now, wider is better too. (pontiac discovered this recently didnt they??)

MK

\
Originally posted by Drewster67
Ford GT-40 500Hp
Corvette ZO6 405Hp and ? Trq
Sallen S281 & S351 300-450Hp
Ford Mustang Cobra 4.6 Blown 390Hp
Pontiac GTO 5.7L 350Hp and 350Ft Lbs Trq
Cadillac CTX ?Hp

Dove - right you are regarding we Americans being obsessed with HorsePower. So whats wrong with that?. It's been like that from the beginning and I'm sure if gas wasn't 7.00 per/gallon over there you'd probably have a V8 in your garage as well.

Again - good luck with your sale.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:26 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd put my stock '86 944 up against any of you guys.

One stipulation: my car MUST be driven by Hurley Haywood.

It's all about the driver...
Old 07-07-2004, 07:43 PM
UKKid35
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

If it was good enough for Derek Bell then it's good enough for me - especially as he was the original owner of my car.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:08 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Power to weight hacker,have you ever tried a lotus elise??
The Elise is an awesome car, except I cannot:
Put a weekends worth of luggage in the back
Make my girlfriend comfy in the passenger seat
Crank up the A/C
listen to some good music
...and still race it.......best of every world. Reason why I have a 928.

Mark, glad you could join us. Tell us about your racing trailer and how you get all your stuff to the track!
Old 07-07-2004, 09:24 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

please!!! Ill be running against Stu Hayner with a 100hp less. watch how close i get. you have no idea what you are talking about.

want a clue, look no farther than Bauer Racing's 1999 effort in speedvision World challenge GT running a 944 turbo , pretty heavily modified. Lars Girsling at the wheel, and they ran a full 4 seconds slower than im running on any given day! why? 2 reasons, 1. I drive the wheels off the car, 2. the car is pretty darn fast!!

Yes, the driver is important, but the car is more important!

Did i mention that i drive to all club and pro races???? so, this will be my 6th speed WC race, and i have 120 other race days. Always stuffing all my tires in the car for the ride to and from the track. Try that in your half 928 engine'd 944. hey, dont get me wrong, the 944 turbo is a great car, just much easier to go faster in a 928, and thats not up for debate. Just look at the cars, money spent and the their times on the track!
1:40.2 at laguna, 1:50.1 at Sears Point, 2:01 at Thunderhill. all in a car with only a set of headers. not even a chip!!

MK

Originally posted by Sean
I'd put my stock '86 944 up against any of you guys.

One stipulation: my car MUST be driven by Hurley Haywood.

It's all about the driver...
Old 07-07-2004, 10:09 PM
saphriel
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I owned a 928 and now own a Boxster.
I love them both. I'm sitting here watching the mud fly, and being very very entertained!

Now I'm gonna go driving!

Later!
-Joe
Old 07-07-2004, 11:28 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, the driver is important, but the car is more important!
Well, I'm not entering the "X car is better than Y car" debate (I'll leave that to the "Ford vs. Chevy" forum).

My point simply is that the abilities of the driver are paramount.

And I'm sorry... But in any kind of substantial racing event, my money would be on Hurley Haywood against any group of non-professional drivers.

All it takes is one mistake, and the non-professional is out of the race. (Heard about all the totalled GT2s?) Hurley doesn't make those kind of mistakes.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:11 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally posted by saphriel
I love them both. I'm sitting here watching the mud fly, and being very very entertained!
Glad to hear it.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:10 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Thats what i count on in my pro races, the other "real" pros, making mistakes and i get " in the money"!!!

the point is, driving being equal, the 928 is a much better race platform, but we all know this. actually, my stock 928 is on par to the porsche factory race cars of 1998 as far as performance at the same weights, which they are in the cup cars spec weight , and the 928 is fully gutted.

I love all the porsches. they all go real fast!

MK

Originally posted by Sean
Well, I'm not entering the "X car is better than Y car" debate (I'll leave that to the "Ford vs. Chevy" forum).

My point simply is that the abilities of the driver are paramount.

And I'm sorry... But in any kind of substantial racing event, my money would be on Hurley Haywood against any group of non-professional drivers.

All it takes is one mistake, and the non-professional is out of the race. (Heard about all the totalled GT2s?) Hurley doesn't make those kind of mistakes.

Quick Reply: Awsome boxster for sale