Sponsored by:

UNUSUAL BRAKE WEAR malfuntion & CODE 46 SRS

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:05 PM
MoongloAuto
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UNUSUAL BRAKE WEAR malfuntion & CODE 46 SRS

Hello Renn's members, My name is Jordan, I am the owner of Moonglo Auto Repair in Sudbury Ontario Canada. I am working on a 2002 Boxster S 986. Client complaint is that the SRS is illuminated, BRAKE WEAR indicator illuminated, and wipers don't park..

I scanned the vehicle with my AutoLogic Drivepro, and got code 46 Drivers Buckle for SRS, no other codes pertaining to other issues listed above.. I have looked at the TSB's and see that there is an updated gold plated spring and connector assembly, and also a new belt buckle. Does anyone know here if there is a write up of doing this repair? I tried to search for it but to no avail was unsuccessful. I am wondering if it's solely the belt buckle itself, as I'd like to try and get one and see if that clears the code. Or if I actually have to reroute the ground wire etc and replace the spring terminals..as per TSB.. There are two TSB's one that was in 2002 that states to just change the Buckle, and an updated TSB in 04 that states it wants you to replace the buckle and the gold plated springs. Unsure which one is relevant to this vehicle.

The above i'm not too concerned about as the following is where my problem lies.

There is a BREAK WEAR light on the cluster illuminated. I understand the brake pad wear sensor circuit is one of the most simplistic circuits. I have checked all 4 sensors twice. Continuity test is OK. I removed the cluster and I checked continuity form pics 16 and 32 Connector C2 the + and - lines from cluster to cluster. Continuity was OK. I then unplugged all 4 sensors. And with connector C2 Plugged into the cluster I manually jumped pin 16-32 with jumper leads, to create my own circuit. No luck... BRAKE WEAR is still on. At this point I am ready to call a cluster.. But I just want to ask here if ANYONE has seen this before. Or am I missing a crucial part of diagnostics.. I tested everything I could. But I do not know if there is ANYTHING else that could cause the BRAKE WEAR light to illuminate.. Before I call a cluster I would just like to see..

Lastly. The wipers do not rest/park if you turn the wiper stock off. They will park where ever they were wiping.. I did some research and most say it's the Intermittent Relay. (Blue Relay) I went and looked above the fuse box to location 16 relay box as I found online on a diagram. And no relay was present... I took the relay from an above spot and put it in, but it did not work. Wipers still did not park. Do some models not have the intermittent relay? Or did someone remove the relay?

I hope to get some good information as I know there are some very knowledgeable persons on this site. And I do not want to throw a cluster at this vehicle if it does not need one.

Thank you all.

Quick Reply: UNUSUAL BRAKE WEAR malfuntion & CODE 46 SRS