Sponsored by:

SMILIN takes on Yosemite

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2024, 10:55 PM
smilin
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 152 Posts
Default SMILIN takes on Yosemite

i get to yosemite several times per year, but usually in other cars. “oh man, i wish i was in the boxster.” well, i snuck in a quick trip and she was right at home. driving up Old Priest Grade…like a scalpel…swish swoosh swish zoom. cruising the valley with the top down…it just doesn’t get any better. two trunks…so practical for camping. and actually enhancing the scenery…well, you be the judge

26.5 years and 157k of SMILIN and my baby still purrs. approx 400 miles over 3 days and i saw one modern boxster, two taycans as the only porsche cars.

footnotes:
dang, the car is filthy!
dang, lots of jolts and scrapes pulling off of the pavement!
dang, she’s a rattling old gal.
dang, she rides harsh on B6+H&R springs.
dang, every pickup driver in the foothills drives faster than me.
dang, i love this car.

tunnel view

washburn point

final turn approaching glacier point

washburn point after sunset

el capitan

the final view before exiting the valley

Last edited by smilin; 08-30-2024 at 10:59 PM.
The following 9 users liked this post by smilin:
996love (08-31-2024), Cyclman (08-31-2024), enorab (08-31-2024), mistertate (09-01-2024), nutbags (09-09-2024), pilot4fn (08-31-2024), Porschter (08-31-2024), trygve (09-01-2024), ZuffenZeus (09-01-2024) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-01-2024, 01:32 AM
Dr. C
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Ha! You just put a big smile on my face.

A couple of weekends ago I decided to take our Boxster into Yosemite on a spur-of-the-moment trip. Yes, they are still possible in Yosemite, just make sure you get to the main gate at or after 4 PM.

I needed pizza and a beverage on the patio at Curry Village. It was spectacular. As was the cappuccino and pie at the Ahwahnee bar.

Your comment about the driving pleasure of taking the Boxster through Yosemite is spot on. Most park visitors have absolutely no idea what a shockingly beautiful experience it is to take a 986 on that drive.

We didn't do the Glacier Point excursion, but that gives me something to look forward to next time.

In my case, even after 22 years of ownership, it still amazes me how wonderful these cars are.

Thank you Porsche.

The following 3 users liked this post by Dr. C:
mistertate (09-01-2024), nutbags (09-09-2024), smilin (09-01-2024)
Old 09-01-2024, 02:09 AM
smilin
Rennlist Member

i’ve been known to consume an “el capitan” (combo pizza) and a blue moon or two on the deck, with half dome peeking over the roof. i’ve also driven 3.5 hours there for the sliders in the bar, a lap around the valley, and a few car pictures. magical place!

The following 3 users liked this post by smilin:
996love (09-01-2024), mistertate (09-01-2024), nutbags (09-09-2024)
Old 09-01-2024, 02:51 AM
996love
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. C

Your comment about the driving pleasure of taking the Boxster through Yosemite is spot on. Most park visitors have absolutely no idea what a shockingly beautiful experience it is to take a 986 on that drive.
That’s something I never thought about until this thread. Sounds like the perfect car to tour a wilderness park in. Having the top down must be a magical experience.

Thanks for sharing, OP. Keep on SMILIN
The following users liked this post:
smilin (09-01-2024)
Old 09-04-2024, 04:11 PM
tone40
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Driving the Boxster in Yosemite....

A few years back I drove my Boxster in Yosemite, but I was worried about bears (or other wildlife) ravaging through it when parked (when visiting Mariposa Grove, Curry Village, Glacier Point, Wawona...). Especially overnight parking. I have seen bears or fresh evidence thereof in those areas before. If I ever do again, it will be with the thick car cover. One time I stayed overnight in June Lake and in the evening a raccoon scratched the hood of my truck. Thank goodness I wasn't driving the Boxster.

Yes, Yosemite has great Boxster roads. Your pictures are great! The park doesn't look too crowded.

I can see a fall colors road trip there in the near future. The Generals Highway in Kings Canyon and Sequoia NP is also a nice scenic Boxster road.

Last edited by tone40; 09-04-2024 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-04-2024, 04:55 PM
smilin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tone40
A few years back I drove my Boxster in Yosemite, but I was worried about bears (or other wildlife) ravaging through it when parked (when visiting Mariposa Grove, Curry Village, Glacier Point, Wawona...). Especially overnight parking. I have seen bears or fresh evidence thereof in those areas before. If I ever do again, it will be with the thick car cover. One time I stayed overnight in June Lake and in the evening a raccoon scratched the hood of my truck. Thank goodness I wasn't driving the Boxster.

Yes, Yosemite has great Boxster roads. Your pictures are great! The park doesn't look too crowded.

I can see a fall colors road trip there in the near future. The Generals Highway in Kings Canyon and Sequoia NP is also a nice scenic Boxster road.
re: bears, i rarely have food in the car and i prepare by cleaning out anything smelly. but i did just see a picture of a car in yosemite with claw marks on the hood. at least that would be a good story. better than my first trip to yosemite in the spyder...new car, newly PPF'd, gotta take it to yosemite. i parked at curry village overnight and some bozo gouged the PPF on the rear bumper. a bear story would be more fun.

i have the generals highway on my list!
Old 09-05-2024, 10:02 AM
Dr. C
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

General's Highway?

Truly spectacular ride.

Be attentive though......

https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-...pull-this.html
The following users liked this post:
smilin (09-05-2024)

Quick Reply: SMILIN takes on Yosemite