Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum-67/)
-   -   Boxter S vs. C5 (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/119447-boxter-s-vs-c5.html)

KNanthrup 03-09-2004 02:56 AM

Boxter S vs. C5

Please forgive me ahead of time for posting this thread. I know that A vs. B threads aren't very good and usually bring lots of arguements, but I'm hoping to get some insight from you guys.

Recently I was having a discussion with another person about these two cars because they are similar in price. I'd like to hear from you guys which car you would take and justify your reasonings. Honestly I like both cars. The vette has a small advantage in straight line acceleration, the boxster has a better interior. Handling? I don't know, I think the mags rate the Boxster better in lateral grip, but I know the C5 has perfect 50/50 weight dist, so who wins on track?

Anyways I'm going to take an unbiased stance on this subject (although I know some of you may not), I'd just like to hear some intelligent feedback and justifications from you guys. Try to step outside the fact that you may own one. Maybe forget which one you'd rather take (as an enthusiast) but rather which one you're getting more for your money, etc.

Thanks guys,

Alan Herod 03-09-2004 10:03 AM

Although, I have been a Porsche fanatic for over 40 years -- I strongly suspect that the C-5 will kill the Boxster on the track. The only doubts I have are the brakes -- I suspect that if you took stock cars to the track the Porsche brakes (with stock pads) would last a bit longer. I am not talking about prepared cars. If we throw in another variable, like stock driver, a person with no track experience, who fancies himself to be the next F1 champion, the Boxster would be in the weeds. These cars (Boxsters without PSM) are not the slightest bit forgiving at the limit and onset of departure is incredibly quick. Much less warning then the 911, which provides less warning then the Corvette. That is part of the reason Boxsters handle so well and in the hands of the skilled may be quicker. Stability is the enemy of nimbleness. I made the decision a few years ago, and for me I made the right one. Don't misunderstand me, the Boxster is a blast to drive on the track and I have tested the limits. This will probably be an emotive issue for many and I suspect I should don my Nomex, but the Corvette has always been a worthy competitor on the track. Certainly not in engineering and quality, but they have made significant strides in that area as well.

Vampyre 03-09-2004 12:01 PM

I own both cars in question, although my Boxster is NOT an S it is just the base model.

Both cars are a blast to drive and both have pros and cons. On the track the C5 Vette is hard beat. in a straight line the Vette will beat most cars, and for under $500 you can mod the Vette to go even quicker.

Mods to the Boxster are $$$.

If brakes are a concern, I would reccomend updatin the Vette's stock pads with something more suited for track use. I would suggest the same for the Boxster.

If I had to choose between one, I would be hard pressed, I like the Boxster alot and have always been a fan of Porsche cars. I didn't like the Corvettes much until the C5 came out.

I would say you get the biggest bang for your buck out of a C5.

I have had very few problems with both cars and nothing major on both cars. I am happy with the quailty of both cars. The interior of the vette has more toys, then the Boxster. But I still like my Boxster interior also.

It realy comes down to what the driver whats to do with the car.

Do you want to track it, take long road trips in your car? Street light race?
SCCA events? Weekend rides?

I think if you think about your specific uses that may help you pick the right car.

You can always test drive both and see which car gives you the biggest smile on your face. I think you can't go wrong with either car. Best of luck
in your choice. :cheers:

dumluk 03-09-2004 08:26 PM

They are certainly two different beasts.

If I were making the decision, it would be the Boxster. If only for the Porsche mystique. Anybody can own a Chevy. I also think the Boxster will stay together better than the Vette, though they've made some improvements.

One thing though--on the Vette, you can pop the hood and bask in the glory of the machinery. That takes quite a bit more effort with the Boxster.

Ray S 03-09-2004 10:06 PM

c5 vs. 986....

The C5 isn't just a little faster in a straight line, it will slaughter a Boxster. The Boxster has the edge (slight) on handling and brakes, but no where near enough to make up the difference at a track (equal drivers and all..).

However, these are two totally different cars. It's kind of like comparing a scalpel to a hatchet. The Vette is big, brawny and powerful but it totally lacks the feel, nimbleness, and precision of the Boxster. You really need to drive both and you will see exactly what I mean.

I will humbly disagree with Alan about the Boxsters handling. My experience with the Boxster has been that it is one of the most forgiving sports cars I have ever driven (most automotive journalist agree with me on this). It is not at all prone to twitchy at the limit behavior and it is much more forgiving than a C5, 964, 993, or 996. I believe that most rank novice drivers would be much more comfortable in a Boxster than a C5 or 911.

Tour18 03-10-2004 12:24 AM

If you are looking for a racetrack comparison, there is no comparison. The C5 is a brute.

If you are looking for fun, the two are absolute grin generators. One is strawberry and the other is chocolate...

Rob 3 03-10-2004 01:06 AM

I've driven both over various roads. To my senses, the C5 definitely feels the bigger, heavier, open road car. It does fine in the mountains, but you sense the inertia and mass, and it seems to have a slightly less precise feel to it. The Boxster LOVES the twisties. You seem to just think it around the corners. You get more info through the Boxster than the C5, but the C5 does give you bang for the buck.
Which do you prefer, raw input with lots of capability, or finesse with lots of information and feedback. Some days you want a blended malt scotch, and some days you just want a shot of Jack Daniels.

Mik 03-10-2004 01:12 AM

Unfortunately I have to agree with the majority here. These two are close competitors on the track, the C5 would beat out the 986S. In an autoX the much more nimble, 986S would come out tops. If you're looking at pure numbers I would go for the C5.

But.... oh-oh (sorry can't help myself), my very bias opinion...
The 986S is so much more a drivers car. It's more responsive, agile and brings out a certain passion in a driver.
...and after all, Barbie doll drives a pink C5 :)

dakar34 03-10-2004 01:57 AM

When was the last time you saw 986's competing with C5's in ANY form of racing? There are many reasons for owning a particualr car, but in terms of performance the two aren't even in the same zip code.

Mik 03-10-2004 02:19 AM

dakar34... We're not talking about professional racing here - that's a no brainer. ;)

Go to your local track on an open day, or during a track event and you are bound to see both of them, on the same track - gauge for yourself - they're not as far apart as you might think.

Carrera GT 03-10-2004 02:51 AM

Originally posted by Vampyre
I own both cars in question, although my Boxster is NOT an S it is just the base model.
I assume everyone knows the Boxster (2.5 and 2.7) does not have the Boxster S rear suspension.

Brian P 03-10-2004 12:15 PM

I think a lot of it depends on the driver. My gut suspicion is that it's going to be easier for a driver to near the limit in the boxster. The C5's limit is much higher, but is harder to reach.

So, a beginner and intermediate driver might be faster in the boxster. An expert driver should be faster (and possibly much faster) in the C5.

brh986 03-10-2004 12:45 PM

Drive them both and decide.

For the corvette it's faster (way faster if a Z06), perhaps better handling (definitely if z06), it may end up being cheaper, parts will be cheaper, after market parts cheaper.

For the boxster S, it's a covertible (corvette comes this way too but not z06), it looks better (subjective), it is more fun to drive and just feels better to drive (subjective), the overall quality is much higher than any of the american competition, the warranty is better, it's a more "exclusive" marquee (which may or may not mean anything to you).

*The corvette has absolutely horendous brakes, even on the z06 (although they're not as bad). I am aware the z06 has posted some great stopping distances in the magazine tests (I would appreciate if someone could explain to me how) they will never stand up in a track environment. All you have to do is look at them (especially the rear brakes) and see how TINY they are (compare to a boxster S which is a lighter weight car) and you will see what I mean. Impossible that they could resist fade lap after lap.

I like the boxster S better because I despise american cars and their associated overall quality level. I think the Boxster S is more fun to drive and feels better. I think the shifter and clutch on the corvette feel like crap. The boxster has more a "go kart" handling feel. The corvette feels larger and heavier and the long hood gives you a jet cockpit type feeling that I dont' care for. That said the corvette is faster and cheaper hands down, you can't argue with that. This is why I say you must drive them and decide, the decision should not be difficult.

For comparison
A boxster S runs the Nuerburgring in 8 minutes 32 seconds. (official)

New Z06 (405 hp) 7 minutes 56 seconds (only 2 seconds behind the GT3).
this is unofficial, I read it on a forum.

Regular C5 ?

C5 convertible?

The nuerburgring is the best way to measure overall performance. 0-60, 60-0, skidpad, that's all good and well but there's nothing like a lap on the nuerburgring to measure overall performance!

If anyone has official nuerburgring lap times for the vettes please do post (and your source).

brh986 03-10-2004 12:52 PM

Originally posted by Alan Herod
These cars (Boxsters without PSM) are not the slightest bit forgiving at the limit and onset of departure is incredibly quick. Much less warning then the 911, which provides less warning then the Corvette.
I don't know what planet you're from or what the laws of physics are there but the boxster is by far one of the easiest cars on this planet to drive quickly with or without PSM. Also mid engine is hands down the best design for a sports car there is. The boxster is VERY forgiving and VERY easy to drive (and drive FAST) for a novice. The 911 is much harder to drive due to it's rear engine design (although the 996 does a good job of eliminating *most* of the typical rear engine characteristics with the use of a fancy rear suspension among other things).

It's worth noting that the C5 does a good job of emulating a mid engine design by placing the engine in the front and the transmission in the rear. They counter balance each other and give something of the effect of having the whole package in the middle.

brh986 03-10-2004 12:57 PM

Originally posted by dakar34
When was the last time you saw 986's competing with C5's in ANY form of racing? There are many reasons for owning a particualr car, but in terms of performance the two aren't even in the same zip code.
I would argue that a boxster S and a *stock* corvette convertible may be a much closer match than you think. Granted the vette will probably still win in a straight line to 60 and the gap probably widens the faster you go, on the track it may be a different story. If the vette laps faster it won't be for long because the brakes *will* overheat and fade.