Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 04:56 PM
marc kellaway
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxster won’t start . 1999 petrol 2.7

Hello

help needed

went to my boxster today and it flat out won’t start .
all electrics working
checked fuses
have had local mechanic check fuses but his computer won’t talk to the car .
everything normal just won’t start

is it the ignition switch ???

please help any comments appreciated

Last edited by marc kellaway; 05-13-2020 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-12-2020, 06:15 PM
Weazer
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 130 Posts

Could be a myriad of things. First off, what year Boxster? Second, did you scan with a code reader, and if so, what codes did it read if any? Might be a bad Crank Position Sensor, might be a bad fuel pump, might be a bad fuel pump relay, might be a faulty engine computer. Was the car giving any symptoms prior to not starting at all, hesitation while driving, hard starting, lower than usual gas mileage? I would start off with scanning the engine for codes. Maybe take a fuel pressure reading (with the ignition on the fuel pump should be pushing about 50 psi pressure). An engine needs 4 elements to run, fuel, air, spark, and timing. Conduct a sequential process of elimination until you identify which element is missing. Best of luck.
The following users liked this post:
marc kellaway (05-13-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 09:31 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Did the tach bounce at all?
Old 05-12-2020, 10:51 PM
KevinH2000
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If you have a manual transmission, it could be the clutch switch. I had to replace mine about 3 months ago.
Try pressing down on the clutch as if you were trying to push it through the floor and see what happens.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:49 AM
marc kellaway
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by KevinH2000
If you have a manual transmission, it could be the clutch switch. I had to replace mine about 3 months ago.
Try pressing down on the clutch as if you were trying to push it through the floor and see what happens.
no joy mate
not a peep 😔
Old 05-13-2020, 08:51 AM
marc kellaway
3rd Gear

its 1999 petrol ignition switch ???

Originally Posted by Weazer
Could be a myriad of things. First off, what year Boxster? Second, did you scan with a code reader, and if so, what codes did it read if any? Might be a bad Crank Position Sensor, might be a bad fuel pump, might be a bad fuel pump relay, might be a faulty engine computer. Was the car giving any symptoms prior to not starting at all, hesitation while driving, hard starting, lower than usual gas mileage? I would start off with scanning the engine for codes. Maybe take a fuel pressure reading (with the ignition on the fuel pump should be pushing about 50 psi pressure). An engine needs 4 elements to run, fuel, air, spark, and timing. Conduct a sequential process of elimination until you identify which element is missing. Best of luck.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:45 PM
Weazer
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 130 Posts

The ignition switches have been known to cause odd electrical gremlins, you might consider removing, disassembling, cleaning and lubricating it, then replacing and see if that does the trick. Or you might just replace it with a new one, I understand they're not that expensive. I usually try to fix something before I purchase a new replacement. If I were you, I would be checking to see if I have spark and checking to see if I have fuel pressure. Pull a coil and spark plug, insert the spark plug into the coil and ground the spark plug's outside electrode, an exhaust header to engine bolt should work, then have someone crank the engine while you watch for spark between the center electrode and outside electrode. Wear some thick leather or preferably rubber glove while you do this because if your coil has any cracks you might get zapped. If you have spark, then check if you can hear your fuel pump running, its in the fuel tank in the front trunk, you should be able to hear it whirring with the ignition key on. If you can hear it, then check for pressure at your fuel rail on the engine, one of the two fuel rails should have an inspection port you can attach a pressure gauge to, should read about 50 psi. If you can't hear the fuel pump, check the fuel pump relay located in the (USA) driver's footwell kick panel. There should be a folded paper legend identifying each fuse and relay's function. Replace it with a known good one, or a new one. Apparently, the fuel pump relay is different from the other relays adjacent to it, so you can't just swap one of those in.

Quick Reply: Boxster won’t start . 1999 petrol 2.7