Sponsored by:

Front Motor Mount Replacement - Couple of tips

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 06:59 PM
DOUGLAP1
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Front Motor Mount Replacement - Couple of tips

There are many excellent write-ups and videos on the front motor mount replacement - thanks to all those who have gone before me.
I just wanted to add a couple of tips for replacement with the cooling lines in place:

1- If your studs on the chassis mounting piece don't come out when unbolting, you should take them out before trying to remove the mount assembly. It makes it easier to remove the assembly if the studs aren't in the way
2- The cooling hose on the right side of the car is much more flexible than the one on the left side. So, when everything is unbolted and the studs are removed. pull the hose down from the passenger side and drop the assembly with the right side pointing downward. Re-install in reverse direction before installing studs into the chassis.
3- Once the assembly is up in position above the hoses, bolt up to the engine first while the engine is down a couple of inches in the front, then raise the engine up into position and re-install the studs with Threadlocker 242 blue, then finish bolting to the chassis.

Above steps worked well for me. I had recently replaced the water pump and the coolant tank, so I did not want to go through draining and refilling the system again - poor planning on my part, but it worked out OK.

By the way, if you a have 986, you probably need to do this. Mine had no symptoms, but had totally failed. Probably my Wevo transmission mounts helped it from rattling around.

The following users liked this post:
Weazer (04-20-2020)

Quick Reply: Front Motor Mount Replacement - Couple of tips