Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time opening engine compartment and it’s filthy. Any tips on cleaning?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 03:53 PM
96conv
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First time opening engine compartment and it’s filthy. Any tips on cleaning?

I don’t think it’s ever been cleaned before. It’s a 2000 S 6 speed. Should I gently hose this down or use only spray cleaner and wipe off? How did you clean your engine and where there any negative side effect?
Old 04-15-2020, 05:16 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

light mist and some simply green (for aluminum) might be all i'd do. If you have any particularly nasty areas, you can use degreaser and a brush. I would not start hosing off the top of the motor
Old 04-17-2020, 02:41 PM
Richard Flores
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I just did my engine. I just used some turtle car wash, gunk engine degreaser stage 1, and then engine shine stage 2. I just lightly used some microfiber towels to dip in a bucket with carwash liquid and clean the engine. Then squeezing the towel into another bucket for dirty water. Then used a toothbursh to get into the hard to reach places. I then used the gunk degreaser to clean the engine a bit with new towels....then I actually used some testor paint pens to paint the "Porsche" letters. Then used the gunk shine to finish.

Not perfect but I'm happy.

P.s....yes I know it has a HAI.

Clean engine

Dirty/clean before painting letters
The following users liked this post:
Weazer (04-18-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 03:21 PM
Weazer
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 130 Posts

Richard Flores, damn, I wished mine looked like that!
Old 04-22-2020, 06:41 PM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

I would wash the engine when it is cold. I would use aluminum foil to cover any air intakes and sensitive electronic connections. Then I would spray liberally with simple green or some other mild cleaner and use a soft bristle brush, like a 2" paint brush, and go around the engine compartment to loosen the dirt up and then use a garden hose on soft spray to rinse it all off. Then get your air hose out and blow it off as much as you are able. If no air hose, try a leaf blower-they work real well too. Then once it is all blown off, wipe it down with a dry microfiber and then remove the aluminum foil and go for a nice drive with your clean engine compartment.

Quick Reply: First time opening engine compartment and it’s filthy. Any tips on cleaning?