Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum-67/)
-   -   Lost key procedure (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/1151258-lost-key-procedure.html)

NewToPig 07-08-2019 11:01 AM

Lost key procedure

Hey all!

On my 99, I only ever had one key. A second has been "on the list". Well I lost my primary.... so for those that have gotten a key replacement can you illuminate me on the procedure?

My understanding is a dealer would be about $400 and probably could do it via VIN (or does the car need to be there?). If the car needs to be there then thats a different proposition since its an hour tow.

Then there are companies like http://www.lostporschekeys.com/ you send them the alarm module and a door lock. The replacement says "two nonremote keys for $250". I'm not sure I understand then if I can add a used fob and reprogram.

Anyone versed in this process?
Thanks

aldo964 07-08-2019 11:59 AM

Hi, same happened to me a couple of months ago :evilgrin:
New keys can be ordered with the VIN and proof of ownership. They take at most 10 working days to arrive. The car will have to be towed to the Porsche dealer for programming (20 minute operation). They will also disable the previous/lost keys so that the car can't be started with them (but the doors could hypothetically be manually unlocked).
Cost of a complete key including programming was about €400.
In the eventuality you do someday find your lost key, Porsche will be able to reactivate it again, at no cost I believe.

My original topic is here: https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-...ut-of-car.html
And a bit more info here: https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-...ocked-out.html

Hope that helps :)

dr914 07-08-2019 12:10 PM

and as aldo stated, this is the best way to do it. THE DEALER

aldo964 07-08-2019 12:11 PM

By the way, I was told by Porsche and an independent key cutter/copier that they're binded to the vehicle they were assigned to and can't be reprogramed.
So I think what they're offering for $250 would be two blades with transponders but not remotes.
Personally I'd recommend you spend a bit more and go for the original, that way you'll have a nice new remote/fob that should last another 20+ years.

Or, there's another solution you could opt for, but again I wouldn't recommend it. You could buy a used set of locks (door, ignition, armrest) with key/fob and the associated electronic control unit, but it's a relatively labour intensive solution and you'd probably end up spending much the same as a new key would cost, plus there's no certainty the fob will actually function for many months/years.

NewToPig 07-08-2019 12:46 PM

Thanks all! The closet dealer is a 1.5 hr tow one way which is why I was seeking a shipped solution. But if the fob can't be added then the full dealer key is the better solution.

For future reference, MY 98 boxster has no emergency trunk release :( but I was able to get in through the top (manual) and the key isn't in the car. I'm sure it fell out of my pocket somewhere and we back tracked for the next two days.

aldo964 07-08-2019 07:12 PM

Just an idea, but it may be better value to order the two keys for $250 and then drive it to the dealer. You’d probably spend at least the same amount getting it towed. At least this way you’ll end up with 2 extra keys which could someday be useful if you loose your main key again ;)

aldo964 07-08-2019 07:15 PM

P.S.: there should be a cable in the left wheel arch. To access it you’ll need to jack the car up and take off the plastic.
By the way, how were you able to open the roof? Did you bust the rear window?!

NewToPig 07-08-2019 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by aldo964 (Post 15959978)
Just an idea, but it may be better value to order the two keys for $250 and then drive it to the dealer. You’d probably spend at least the same amount getting it towed. At least this way you’ll end up with 2 extra keys which could someday be useful if you loose your main key again ;)

That was my current thought. I'm extremely busy so the cost of going to the dealer is more than the key. Get the (2) spare keys and then have the dealer replace the fob only which tlhey should be able to do.

NewToPig 07-08-2019 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by aldo964 (Post 15959983)
P.S.: there should be a cable in the left wheel arch. To access it you’ll need to jack the car up and take off the plastic.
By the way, how were you able to open the roof? Did you bust the rear window?!

There is no rear cable on some or all of the early cars. I had it all tore apart to find it. I suspected I locked them in the trunk which is why I didn't bother with the hood.

As far as getting in, I converted the top to manual and have not yet installed a rear lid latch. So you can just just pop the two top hold down cables and use a stick to open the door (which then sets the alarm off). It is a bad idea for the long run but helped me in this case.

Adriano Aragon 08-08-2019 05:46 PM

So I see my build sheet has Premium package PLUS, which I gather has keyless entry and go. I never got a dummy key. Have I been missing this feature entire time for the simple lack of a dummy key? If so, what's involved to obtain one from dealer? Expensive...how much? Thanks.

NuttyProfessor 08-09-2019 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by aldo964 (Post 15959978)

Exactly what I tell everyone with modern cars that have keyfob and security systems similar to the Porsches. Always have a second set of keys. I'm still surprise how many people just drive the cars with one key.

OP, I hope you find a less costly solution. Lesson learned, huh? The last key I made at Porsche cost me $400. The car definitely had to be present for programming and provide proof of ownership.

Adriano Aragon 08-09-2019 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Adriano Aragon (Post 16027034)
So I see my build sheet has Premium package PLUS, which I gather has keyless entry and go. I never got a dummy key. Have I been missing this feature entire time for the simple lack of a dummy key? If so, what's involved to obtain one from dealer? Expensive...how much? Thanks.

Sorry for asking again, but does anyone have any idea about this? Is it just a cheap dummy key that I need?

Brian in Tucson 08-10-2019 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Adriano Aragon (Post 16028490)
Sorry for asking again, but does anyone have any idea about this? Is it just a cheap dummy key that I need?

No, there's a transponder chip that the immobilizer reads so that the car will start. There's no good alternative to a "smart" key. You can get one in the aftermarket, but it won't have the built in remote.

I sold a Toyota earlier this summer with only one "smart" key. I got a call from the buyer a few weeks later saying he couldn't find his keys. No I didn't have a spare key for him. (Lost that key ring.) No good alternative to having a spare key made, on that car, ACE could do a key for $60. On my current Toyota, all that horse crap was optional, and mine didn't have it. I bought the car from locksmith. He had 4 spares for me.

Adriano Aragon 08-10-2019 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson (Post 16030547)
No, there's a transponder chip that the immobilizer reads so that the car will start. There's no good alternative to a "smart" key. You can get one in the aftermarket, but it won't have the built in remote.

I sold a Toyota earlier this summer with only one "smart" key. I got a call from the buyer a few weeks later saying he couldn't find his keys. No I didn't have a spare key for him. (Lost that key ring.) No good alternative to having a spare key made, on that car, ACE could do a key for $60. On my current Toyota, all that horse crap was optional, and mine didn't have it. I bought the car from locksmith. He had 4 spares for me.

Hi Brian. Thank you for the answer. To make sure I understand, having the original factory key is NOT enough. The dummy key also has the transponder chip required. I suppose I have to go to Porsche dealer and have one coded at significant expense? Thanks again.