Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum-67/)
-   -   Transmission Fluid Change (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/1150837-transmission-fluid-change.html)

hbrewer 07-04-2019 10:14 PM

Transmission Fluid Change

I changed the transmission fluid, let it drain for about 4 days, while waiting for filter and fluid, It drained out a little over 6 qts and took about 7 to fill it back. I keep reading that 4 qts will do it to change and filter change. Car was level pumped fluid in till it run out. Than started and run till pan was 100 F, and let the gear selector set in each gear for about 15 sec. Than removed fill plug and topped till fluid was running out again. Can you put to much in. And after draining for 4 days, there was still fluid dripping out.

Macster 07-05-2019 10:26 AM

As long as you are using the right technique for determining the fluid level you should not be putting too much fluid back in. But you have to be sure you are using the right technique. My memory on this is vague but I seem to recall some transmissions you fill until the fluid runs out the drain hole, others you fill only to a point a bit below -- some mm -- below the fill hole. And there may be a requirement the transmission fluid be in some elevated temperature range and operating the transmission in various modes: Park, D, maybe R; can be another requirement.

Are you sure you are using the proper technique to check the fluid level of the transmission in your car?

hbrewer 07-06-2019 12:24 PM

I think I done it right, just most say it will drain about 4 qt's and mine drained almost 7 and took 7 to fill it. Will put it on a rack and check it, in a few days. But I had a few choice words for myself when I got the pan all cleaned up and cleaned the magnets good, put the pan up, started all the screws, Looked over and seen the magnets laying the box where I put them after cleaning, Just glad I seen them before I torqued the bolts down. lol

peytonimor7 07-19-2019 07:24 PM

I have dropped the transmission pan on my car before and had to wait on parts to be delivered, so I replaced the pan to prevent moisture intrusion while I waited on parts. About a week later I dropped the pan again and had about 2 extra quarts.

The longer you wait, the more oil will drip out. It's all the little channels in the valve body that are slowly draining. So that is why you got more fluid out compared to other guys. You get a more complete fluid exchange by letting it drain for much longer.

Standard automatic trans fluid level set is to warm up vehicle and get transmission fluid temperature to Fluid level checking specs (preferably the low end of the range) and fill until fluid trickles out of fill hole.

So sounds like you did it properly.