Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum-67/)
-   -   Newbie Feedback! (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/1149988-newbie-feedback.html)

SARSteve 06-29-2019 01:40 AM

Newbie Feedback!

Hello all!
I just joined, and wanted to say how impressed I am with the informative, supportive and.. kind postings I’ve been reading: kudos to all!! I hope I can contribute to the same level, as I learn every aspect of my next fun car...

I just paid for the title to a Blue 2001 Boxster that is out of State; flying down to pick it up in a week. I have a great Porsche only mechanic nearby that will go through it, before I drive it North up Highway 1, from Monterey, CA, to Sequim, WA.. Yippee!🤠

The mechanic actually put me onto this car, a bit of a Barn find.. my friend had bought a ‘98 Boxster that runs and handles great.. but the seller was a true con artist: lied through his teeth about the car. So we took it to this great mechanic.. and heard about the one I bought.. managed to test drive it before I left the State, just to compare them to each other. The owner had passed away, and the car had been stored in a heated garage and driven a couple of times for the past year. The plus was to find it covered and with a trickle charger hooked up!

After having spent several days curving our way around Yosemite National Park; Highway 49, and many new to us back roads in my friends Boxster..I totally fell for these cars.. so I had to buy it!

This car is blue w/grey interior, and meets KKB Very Good Condition. It has 98k miles, with the Tiptronic transmission. I would have preferred the manual.. but not that concerned with it. The paint is pretty immaculate as is the interior.

The first issue with the car is the tire/wheels on it: brand new set of 19” Imola Design high polished rims with low profile tires all around.. and as expected, the car is Horrible on any rough surface! The road and ride was so bad, we did not do a proper 15 mile road test..😖

Fortunately, the stock rims come with the car, and, lucky me, the car was ordered with 18” wheels from the factory.. so I just completed the purchase of a set of the Continental Extreme Contact rws 06 tires, to be installed the day after I arrive. We put these same tires on my friends ‘98 Boxster, before the road trips.. great handling tires!

The second issue is minor.. only one factory key.. and I’m not sure if there should be a separate remote as well..?

I had already read some of your posts here, and ordered the 101 Projects book, and the Bentley Service Manual, which I received yesterday.. and stayed up quite late reading. This morning, I called my friend with the ‘98, and in short order was able to get the convertible top on that car to retract: it has been stuck closed for almost two months.. could not even get a smog test done! I also got help from a great Porsche dealer Service rep in Sacramento.. but thanks to your book recommendations, got it down in 15 minutes over the phone.. thank you all for helping to a great start to, well,.. I may have to change my will now.. all my family that rides in this is going to want it!

I’ll update, as my trip unfolds... Cheers!

Starter986 06-29-2019 09:17 AM

You're located in Aberdeen, but driving to Sequim? I'm lost.

Had clients in Aberdeen, back in the day, and family now in Sequim.

Congrats on the car. It'll be nice driving with the top down 6 days of the year. ;)

SARSteve 06-29-2019 10:57 AM

Ha Ha!
I can just Hope I get 6 days...
I have many friends in the Sequim area.. and if I’m driving that far up the coast, might as well complete the loop, right?!
Worth it, to access Olympic National Park from all sides.. although, I know the coast side has several designated rain forests.. that top had better work!
💦☔️💦