Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum-67/)
-   -   Porsche Boxster 986 fuel gauge issue not the usual issue (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/1149639-porsche-boxster-986-fuel-gauge-issue-not-the-usual-issue.html)

Jemm 06-26-2019 06:42 PM

Porsche Boxster 986 fuel gauge issue not the usual issue

Hi I have an issue with the fuel gauge in a 986 Boxster.
I was on just under half a tank on the needle and about 119 on the digital clock and within 5 minutes of driving it went down to 43 on the digital clock and almost empty on the needle.
Heres a video please check it out to see what I mean for yourself and hopefully someone can help me diagnose this issue
Many thanks

Anker 06-26-2019 07:35 PM

The fuel level sensor may be faulty. I don't know whether it uses a float or some other technology. If its a float it is a common problem.

Jemm 06-26-2019 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Anker (Post 15935295)
The fuel level sensor may be faulty. I don't know whether it uses a float or some other technology. If its a float it is a common problem.

Thanks for the reply
I will look into this as the cause. I tried looking on google as well and it only talks about the other issue with the needle not moving after a fill up.
Nothing on this issue but il look into that thanks very much for the help.

Anker 06-27-2019 05:38 PM

I have a Mercedes CLK350 with that problem. When I drive on the highway for long periods of time, between Massachusetts and the Florida Keys, the float will stick. The Mercedes is clever enough to realize that something is wrong and will give a warning and shut the fuel gauge completely off. As soon as I start driving on city streets or country roads there's enough sloshing going on to break the float loose and everything is good again. I know I should break down and replace the fuel sender, but its not enough of a problem for me to bother since its only between here and Florida I experience the problem.

Jemm 06-27-2019 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Anker (Post 15937601)
I have a Mercedes CLK350 with that problem. When I drive on the highway for long periods of time, between Massachusetts and the Florida Keys, the float will stick. The Mercedes is clever enough to realize that something is wrong and will give a warning and shut the fuel gauge completely off. As soon as I start driving on city streets or country roads there's enough sloshing going on to break the float loose and everything is good again. I know I should break down and replace the fuel sender, but its not enough of a problem for me to bother since its only between here and Florida I experience the problem.

Hi thanks for the response. I will add to that as today suddenly it’s working fine again. I had a couple of days of it counting down and now it’s completely normal and I haven’t looked into it at all.

so the fuel sender is the likely culprit. Now I know it’s not a leak I’m not panicking. Il probably live with it until it completely gives up on me or if I have nothing else left to do on it il tackle that issue.

Thanks everyone for the input

Jemm 06-29-2019 12:40 PM

Hi guys me again sorry to be a pain but it’s a hot day and my side fan is coming on a lot which is usual since I had it only I’m starting to smell neat fuel from the fan when it’s blowing.
is this normal/ due to the heat or have I a small fuel leak

Anker 06-29-2019 10:11 PM

You should not have a gasoline smell from the engine compartment exhaust. If you do it must be a fuel leak.