Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door locks

Old 06-24-2019, 10:18 AM
Boxter4481
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door locks

Hello everyone! My problem is intermittent but gets worse by the day. Locking the doors with the remote works fine. When I unlock the doors it will beep twice and it thinks the passenger door is still locked. When this happens, if I open the passenger door from the inside the window does not drop, so when you close the passenger door the glass is on the outside of the frame. The lock button stays lit in red while I'm driving. Hitting the lock button on the dash doesn't seem to do anything. Thanks
Old 06-24-2019, 03:42 PM
tone40
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Do a search for door latch microswitch. I had a similar symptoms...

My driver's side door window would not drop when ready to close the door. I could lock with the key (once window was manually dropped). I could not lock with the remote (It would lock, then unlock followed by 2 beeps.). Mine ended up being the driver's side door latch microswitch. I believe you have to remove the door cards to gain access (Not difficult). Good luck. Mine is a 2000 S.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:30 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Boxter4481
Hello everyone! My problem is intermittent but gets worse by the day. Locking the doors with the remote works fine. When I unlock the doors it will beep twice and it thinks the passenger door is still locked. When this happens, if I open the passenger door from the inside the window does not drop, so when you close the passenger door the glass is on the outside of the frame. The lock button stays lit in red while I'm driving. Hitting the lock button on the dash doesn't seem to do anything. Thanks
Based on my experience probably a door lock controller problem. The Porsche tech demo'd the proper behavior: With the door closed pull on either handle but stop short of pulling hard enough to open (unlatch) the door. The window should drop. This is a good sign the door handle switch is ok. Release the handle. The window should drop. This is a sign the door latch switch is ok.

Pull on the handle hard enough to open the door. The window should drop and stay down. This is yet another sign the door latch switch is ok. Close the door. The window should drop *after* the door is closed. This is a sign of the door latch and door handle switches working ok.

In my case the passenger side door window would not always go down when either handle was pulled. It got worse. The window would drop but after the door was opened a short time after go back up again.

At random times the doors would be locked -- the red door lock LED was lit on the dash -- when I didn't lock the doors. (I seldom locked the doors when in the car.) If I pushed the lock button to unlock the doors most of the time they would unlock but it was quite common for them to lock again in just a moment or two.

Also, sometimes when locking the car the car would lock but the horn would beep twice indicating some error. I attributed this to a faulty console latch switch but I was wrong. It was the door lock controller.

Tech checked for various sources of the problem but he pinpointed the door lock controller as the culprit. He replaced this and all was well again with the door lock and window behavior.

I've never had any problems arising from this but it is because I caught it in time: The door membrane can fail (age) and allow water from the wet side to the dry side. This can cause all sorts of window and door lock gremlins. Check the bottom of the door for any signs of dampness. If you find any have the door membrane replaced. Might as well get both replaced at the same time. The membranes are the same age and the other will likely develop a leak shortly.
The following users liked this post:
Boxter4481 (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 04:55 PM
Boxter4481
3rd Gear

Thanks for the response. I will try that
Old 06-26-2019, 05:02 PM
Boxter4481
3rd Gear

Thanks for response. Very helpful info.